You Have To Be Kidding Me!!

• Wife and I headed out yesterday morning to meet friends for breakfast at a not too distant restaurant. Being a beautiful, cool morning we took the Sling. When we arrived the parking lot was full so we took an opening near the front door. Following breakfast we hit the highway for the drive home... and that's when we both noticed the front fenders were bouncing and the hood was lifting at the windshield! I dropped our speed and pulled into a gas station to see what was going on... I found the hood was unlocked at both aft locks... Someone had unlocked the hood while we were having breakfast!! I do not know if they opened the hood or just unlocked it... My suspicion is they lifted the hood as the two forward latches were locked!! Who in Hades would have the nerve to open someone's hood on a parked vehicle??????????? When we arrived home, I called my dealership and ordered the Scorpio Alarm System with the proximity alarm! I know our Slings draw attention, but opening a hood on a parked vehicle...

• Wife and I headed out yesterday morning to meet friends for breakfast at a not too distant restaurant. Being a beautiful, cool morning we took the Sling. When we arrived the parking lot was full so we took an opening near the front door. Following breakfast we hit the highway for the drive home... and that's when we both noticed the front fenders were bouncing and the hood was lifting at the windshield! I dropped our speed and pulled into a gas station to see what was going on... I found the hood was unlocked at both aft locks... Someone had unlocked the hood while we were having breakfast!! I do not know if they opened the hood or just unlocked it... My suspicion is they lifted the hood as the two forward latches were locked!! Who in Hades would have the nerve to open someone's hood on a parked vehicle??????????? When we arrived home, I called my dealership and ordered the Scorpio Alarm System with the proximity alarm! I know our Slings draw attention, but opening a hood on a parked vehicle...

Thanks for sharing. This condition is really bad if someone releases the hood latches with Slingshots that have the Extended Range Hood Hinge. The problem will be very dangerous for the drivers safety and could cause an accident. Here is what will happen if you drive with the latches not fully latched. So all folks with these type hood hinges should be checking their hood now to be sure someone has not released your latches. Here is my video of the effect I encounter for real.

• My first inclination is the hood wasn’t closed / latched properly / entirely the last time it was opened.

Hood latches and getting the hood fully secure has been a common challenge across all model years.

Several threads about adjusting the latches and hood are on this forum. Hood buttons will also be an area of interest.

Many people make it a point to check all four latch points prior to traveling.

• I agree.

Bill

• every time I close my hood after having opened it I walk around and check all 4 latches. seems there is always at least one point that needs a little extra push

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• every time I close my hood after having opened it I walk around and check all 4 latches. seems there is always at least one point that needs a little extra push

When I close my hood, I check both sides to ensure it's latched, I do this as a matter of routine! In addition, we had just rolled in from the highway and the hood was fine when we arrived at the restaurant. No folks, the hood was neither left unlatched nor came unlatched while driving.

• I have to say since I changed away from CAI with a shroud and gasket and added the DDM hood extenders my hood closes perfectly almost every time.
    I found that at least on my hood the gasket on the shroud for the CAI was pushing the hood up in the front just enough to mess up alighnment
    I do have the hood pins from @mniron which are a great extra peace of mind.

Disclaimer: I have found when it comes to the SS no 2 are the same - so this problem could have been exclusive to mine

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• What happens if you have the @mniron hood pins and someone decides to open your hood when you are not around? Will this prevent the hood from being opened or will it damage the hood?

If the Fender Buttons are not released, you are unable to open the hood. The Fender Buttons will not damage the hood but if enough force is applied something has to give. My guess is the hood above the latch release handle might crack like early models did when hoods were not opened properly.

• This is my theory about the incident....

thinking about it those people that tried to open the SS hood failed because they were trying to open it like a car hood lifting up the front of the hood...that left the back latches open.....because they popped ....the front latches probably latched again or stayed latched when they pulled up on the hood.

• I have to say since I changed away from CAI with a shroud and gasket and added the DDM hood extenders my hood closes perfectly almost every time.
    I found that at least on my hood the gasket on the shroud for the CAI was pushing the hood up in the front just enough to mess up alighnment
    I do have the hood pins from @mniron which are a great extra peace of mind.

Disclaimer: I have found when it comes to the SS no 2 are the same - so this problem could have been exclusive to mine

When I first installed my Hahn CAI, I felt the rubber gaskets meant to seal against the hood contributed to my hood popping open during a night ride. I replaced the relatively hard rubber gasket with a piece of 1.25" x 1.25" (IIRC) foam insulation meant for use sealing round window AC units. I used a box-cutter to split one edge of the foam to fit over the top edge of the CAI airbox and then used double-stick tape to secure the foam in place. I could see the foam was sealing against the hood, apparently w/o undue pressure on the hood.

• What happens if you have the @mniron hood pins and someone decides to open your hood when you are not around? Will this prevent the hood from being opened or will it damage the hood?

If they reef on it hard enough, they can break components, but the average tug will fail to open it if the buttons are engaged.

Someone on this forum had the buttons/hood damaged when the dealership didn't follow directions and forced the hood open without releasing the buttons. Don't remember who.

• If they reef on it hard enough, they can break components, but the average tug will fail to open it if the buttons are engaged.
    Someone on this forum had the buttons/hood damaged when the dealership didn't follow directions and forced the hood open without releasing the buttons. Don't remember who.

If I remember correctly it was @MACAWS, the pins were bent and needed replacement. The pins also were the smaller first version, today’s pins are more rugged. But @KayTwo is correct, force something enough and something has to give.

• I doubt most people could open the hood if they weren't already familiar with opening a Slingshot. The latch handle has to be pushed DOWN, which is completely counter-intuitive for anyone that hasn't done it before. Most cars you lift the latch handle, I've never seen another car with a latch like the Slingshot.

IMHO that makes it unlikely that someone opened your hood when you weren't looking.

• who knows what people are willing to do. During our last get together at a car show. This guy came up to one of our slings and started pushing on the hood hard enough to see the whole thing flex. We asked him to stop and what the hell? His response "I wanted to see if it was carbon fiber and you didn't have a sign saying not to touch". :thumbdown:

• who knows what people are willing to do. During our last get together at a car show. This guy came up to one of our slings and started pushing on the hood hard enough to see the whole thing flex. We asked him to stop and what the hell? His response "I wanted to see if it was carbon fiber and you didn't have a sign saying not to touch". :thumbdown:

It never occurred to him to just ASK?

• I think I would call the cops. Even if I don't press charges but maybe teach these trespassers a lesson or scare them enough to think about it next time. How would they like it if I went into their car. Or I might just go to jail for beating the shit out of someone lol

Ok so who is next. Haters are gonna hate regardless