MeanSling Sport Top and rain?

• I was up and down part of the night so was out playing some more with the top and it ultimately become apparent that the SlingShot is not symmetrical from side to side, (I really should have realized this when MeanSling sent two differently dimensioned drivers side front tubes, DUH!) The instructions state to use one tube and if there is over a 3/4" difference in height from the passenger tube, install the alternate tube. We only had about a 5/8" difference so I left the original tube in place where I was finding that to level the top from side to side I was almost all the way down in the adjusting slots on the driver's side, and just the opposite on the passenger side, limiting my vertical adjustment options. Well, I finally decided to try changing out the driver's side to the alternate tube and now WALLA, I use the same holes on both sides now. 8o

Added note, and another DUH, if you are going to adjust the top to an ADJUSTABLE windshield, it will also help greatly if you make sure that the windshield is level! :S

Bill

yes, I have found that regardless of year the driver's side a-arm height can vary as much as an inch when installed. The mirror mounts do not have a critical weld measurement and therefore can be off a good bit from the passenger side. Interestingly the passenger side has always been found to be that same every time. This issue is not reported by other tops because of the way they are mounted but does explain why some forcing of frames into position is required.
    The MeanSling simple centralized rear latch system requires the top to be balanced left to right so that the top is level when viewed from behind. That is the long answer as to why the top is supplied with 2 driver's side A-Arms. This was one of the most frustrating part of development. Testing and confirming the average A-Arm heights and having enough adjustment to allow all SlingShots to be fitted. Early 2015-2016 tend to suffer more than later models. My personal installations confirms that 75% of all SlingShots need the shorter arm.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• @Flybuddy look for early Jeep replacement versions. Same product at a fraction of the cost. Would find better wipers.
    OMIX-ADA 19101.02 12 Volt Wiper Motor Kit for 41-58 Jeep CJ Series, MB & GPW | Quadratec

You're right...here's one at a quick look:
    Jeep Willys universal 12 volt windshield wiper motor kit CJ2A CJ3A Cj3B CJ5 | eBay

here's another way to attack the problem:
    291287613559?epid=2119872317&hash=item43d2184077:g:UvAAAOSwrx5UWqYU

• I started this thread to gain suggestions and information concerning the MeanSling Sport Top, would it be too much to ask that we keep to that general intent, I really would appreciate it!
    Thanks,
    Bill

I yield to your request and will not post what is on my mind!

Many have said the Mean Sling top helps you stay drier.... me included. I had it installed at Maggie last year and have never taken it off. Taller windscreens, added deflectors and the like will reduce rain entry even more.

• @wjfyfe, really like my MeanSling top! Unless we put the enclosed body kit on I don’t believe we can eliminate water but we can cut it down a lot. Had mine put on in Maggie a year ago and drove quite a way in the rain on the interstate going home. Helped a lot.
    Have to congratulate @War Hoop though. He is my first Block. I have been on here from the beginning and haven’t blocked anyone till now. There is no need to insult people on here. Let’s leave that for TDS.

• Yeah... time for me to put dlingrazor boy on ignore.

I gave you an opportunity to back off your general rudeness, and you doubled down. This is unacceptable behavior in this group of family. Trent has done nothing but good in this community, and is generally one of the first to lend a hand or his knowledge to those in need. You have none of that street cred, and apparently none of those manners either. You need to find some, or see yourself out.

@wjfyfe, I'm sorry to hijack your thread like that, but I couldn't let that pass.

To get back on track, though, I have been reading your description of your issues in the rain, and I meant to chime in earlier. I did a 6400 mile trip this summer with my Meansling top on for about 90% of the mileage, including some rain. I never expected to stay fully dry, so I was wearing rain gear a fair amount on the occasions it rained. I also have the shorter stock windshield, the standard Ripper. I am happy with the performance in how dry I am in light rain and when stationary, but in my opinion, anytime I am moving greater than 30 miles an hour or anytime it is raining significantly, unless you have more of a full enclosure kind of like @mytoy does, you should expect to get wet. I just don't see a way around it. Be safe out there.

• I shall hold my comments for now...Bill and Justine Y’all are getting the best advice from the folks that know the most regarding this topic… The fine gentleman that have been on this forum since the beginning will always be my go to group... as for folks that make them selves generally as useless as tits on a boar hog...please understand we don’t take kindly to ass hats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• I shall hold my comments for now...Bill and Justine Y’all are getting the best advice from the folks that know the most regarding this topic… The fine gentleman that have been on this forum since the beginning will always be my go to group... as for folks that make them selves generally as useless as tits on a boar hog...please understand we don’t take kindly to ass hats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And you will be well liked for your nasty comments and I and others will be ridiculed for ours. You people seem to forget this forum was started to get away from what your doing right now.

• I would kindly like to ask that the conversation stay focused on helping @wjfyfe with his questions and not head into areas either not helpful or not related to the subject. I ask this as this post has been placed I'm my vendor section. Remember that frustration is the gap between expectation and reality. I want us to help Bill to be a little less frustrated.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• I would kindly like to ask that the conversation stay focused on helping @wjfyfe with his questions and not head into areas either not helpful or not related to the subject. I ask this as this post has been placed I'm my vendor section. Remember that frustration is the gap between expectation and reality. I want us to help Bill to be a little less frustrated.

I offer you my apologies but somebody (a groupy) got on my ass for mentioning rain gear as a solution to the problem the OP has. It's the best option out there for motorcycle, always has been.