I have to rant.... Backing into parking spots. Two trys then give up.

• If I have to sit for 5 minutes while you try 5 - 6 times to back your car into a parking spot you are a moron and doing it wrong. Just pull in for God sakes. So tired of people doing this that can't drive.

Please stop!

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• If I have to sit for 5 minutes while you try 5 - 6 times to back your car into a parking spot you are a moron and doing it wrong. Just pull in for God sakes. So tired of people doing this that can't drive.

Please stop!

My first wife always backed the car into the spot on the first try - oh and she hit at least one of the 2 cars she was paling between. One time she even folded the entire left side os a newly restored GTO trying to park next to a dumpster. Actually moved a full dumpster with the front fender....go ahead and rant!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I back ALL the time (at least where I can). It's easier for me to get in, and especially to get out. I've only hit 1 car in 35+ yrs of driving - and that was in a spot where it was REQUIRED to back in at a very odd angle - I hit the guy when I pulled out, not in, drove over his front bumper turning right.

I wish everyone would back in. It makes it easier to see when pulling out so that you don't back into a car - no blind spots and if you can, you can creep out until you can see.

A couple months ago, I had to pull in forward and then back out when leaving. Turns out a car on the other side a few spots down was doing the same thing and we turned to each other. We were both in each others blind spot and I think the only reason we missed is because the SS is tapered in the rear.

• I got no trouble with cars in a parking lots.. but I have tried turning a tree into a parking lot....suppose I failed to complete the maneuver.

I admit.... I cannot park a full size truck - in a straight parking lot. Forget it. I'll drive somewhere that has slanted parking spaces!

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

Please stop!

Nice rant!

In answer to your question...

It "became a thing" when the government made it law requiring vehicles to have back up cameras. Those that have them gotta do before "country wasn't cool".

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• This guy today was using his backup camera. I'm just saying that it's become this thing around where I live. The ones that shouldn't be trying are the ones doing it. I get how it can be safer and all but when you have three cars behind you and you pass the parking spot only to through it into reverse causing a cascade of people slamming brakes as you proceed to take 5 trys at it. That's what I'm talking about. It's all the time now.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• This guy today was using his backup camera. I'm just saying that it's become this thing around where I live. The ones that shouldn't be trying are the ones doing it. I get how it can be safer and all but when you have three cars behind you and you pass the parking spot only to through it into reverse causing a cascade of people slamming brakes as you proceed to take 5 trys at it. That's what I'm talking about. It's all the time now.

So as soon as they finally get settled in go to them - knock on the window and say "didn't you see the sign Front In Parking Only"

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• when I am driving the truck or the slingshot, I tend to back in everywhere, or if there are two spots I will drive through the first one to get to the second one so I'm parked nose out. I'm also a little bit claustrophobic about not having the nose of the vehicle pointed in the direction I want to go, if I have to leave in a hurry. But especially for my truck, it's easier to drive out of the spot. I've been doing it for a hundred and eighty-five thousand miles, so I'm pretty good with it. When we are out in the Traverse, I will park that nose in, especially in a crowded parking lot.

• You can get a ticket for backing in a space. I did when I was 16. Its called a Facing Violation. It was on main street and the slots were angled so you can easily just pull in. At night we used to go to town and I would back into those slots so I could sit and see who was going past. Well one night the law pulls in front of me and give me this ticket. He explained that in order for me to pull out of that space I would have to pull forward directly into the flow of traffic.

• You can get a ticket for backing in a space. I did when I was 16. Its called a Facing Violation. It was on main street and the slots were angled so you can easily just pull in. At night we used to go to town and I would back into those slots so I could sit and see who was going past. Well one night the law pulls in front of me and give me this ticket. He explained that in order for me to pull out of that space I would have to pull forward directly into the flow of traffic.

Well, yeah. Duh. Didn't you learn nuthin' in driver's ed? :00008172:

I am sure you didn't give him any other reason to give yo a ticket!

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I usually always back in the SS and my FJ but sure as hell don't take 5 tries. I might miss judge the SS sometimes just because I forget wider in the front but easy to maneuver it straight.
    I might add I always check behind me and if I have someone coming up on my rear I will not hold them up to back in.

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

Edited once, last by Chain ().

• At the University, the will ticket you the first time you back in - 2nd time they put a boot on your car. All the lots are straight in parking except the parking garages.

They also charge faculty $200 a year for parking and keep converting parking lots into sorority houses. It's okay, we've got at least 10,000 spaces for some 30,000 students & faculty to fight over!

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

I always back into a space.....[Handicapped]....I get a kick out of people walking around my S/S checking my license plate.... ^^

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• Where I work in the oil refinery sector it s mandatory to reverse park. If you don't you will get wrote a warning and then if done again possibly dismissal. It is a proven fact that more accidents happen when backing out of a parking spot then when driving forward. I now just do it every where I go out of habit and ease of leaving a parking spot. Them again I can parallel park a full size quad cab pickup with an 8 ft box in one try. :thumbup:

• I back it in... But I'm with you Patrick, I do it in one try. And i do it quickly, primarily using the backup camera... Those that can, should and those that can't... Well, I know you're with me.

When they're struggling, I go around them when I can... A bit of an ass/jerk move I know but come on...