• I recently purchased a Slingshot and was informed that the SLR and SLR LE have a performance tune due to the CAI on them? My dealer did not mention this to me. Is this true or a rumor or just ?( something that someone made up?

'It's about the ride not the destination"

• looking at the specs on the Polaris site they show all models as having the same HP and torque As such if there is a performance tune on the SLR and SLR LE it hasn't made enough of a difference in these numbers for them to bother to point it out

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I recently purchased a Slingshot and was informed that the SLR and SLR LE have a performance tune due to the CAI on them? My dealer did not mention this to me. Is this true or a rumor or just ?( something that someone made up?

not sure the background on that one - someone talking about the ECU learning from the CAI to produce better butt dyno results or someone talking about purchasing a tune MEFI or someone talking about something else ..... more detail behind might help

• To date we have not seen any different calibrations in the ECM for the SLR or SLR LE models, same tune as the base engines. There is no power difference with any intakes we have tested here, so there would also be no tune update needed for the intake.

Hope that helps,
    Dave

Dave, does that mean the slower grey base models have the same too as the faster red ones have? :D:D:D:D

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• To date we have not seen any different calibrations in the ECM for the SLR or SLR LE models, same tune as the base engines. There is no power difference with any intakes we have tested here, so there would also be no tune update needed for the intake.

Hope that helps,
    Dave

so are you saying I would see no real performance gain if I replaced my stock air box with a CAI?

• Depends on what you consider to be a performance gain?

I had two ECU update/reflashes by the dealer after purchasing my Slingshot. Those did not fix the throttle lag I was experiencing.

Installed the Alpha CAI. Throttle response became more crisp and it added a throatier sound.

Performance? Yep, made a difference for me.

Later added an aftermarket exhaust and Bob's MEFI custom tune which added to my gains.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• I have installed CAI's on cars & trucks before and yes they to add a throatier sound, but I am curious about measurable changes in HP and/or torque.

• so are you saying I would see no real performance gain if I replaced my stock air box with a CAI?

We have tested intakes several times now and have never seen any power gains with any of the intakes being sold for the Slingshot. The best test we did was after Maggie Valley in 2017 and we tested no intake (filter right on the throttle body), stock intake, SLR CAI, HAHN, Alpha, DDMWorks and a 2' tube hooked straight to the throttle body all on the same Slingshot in about an hour. They all made the same power, except for the 2' tube on the throttle body, which consistently made about 2hp more than all the others, but not really practical ;)

• We have tested intakes several times now and have never seen any power gains with any of the intakes being sold for the Slingshot. The best test we did was after Maggie Valley in 2017 and we tested no intake (filter right on the throttle body), stock intake, SLR CAI, HAHN, Alpha, DDMWorks and a 2' tube hooked straight to the throttle body all on the same Slingshot in about an hour. They all made the same power, except for the 2' tube on the throttle body, which consistently made about 2hp more than all the others, but not really practical ;)

So one 2" velocity tube mounted with a hole cut through the hood.... Should I at least strech some pantyhose material over the opening?

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• We have tested intakes several times now and have never seen any power gains with any of the intakes being sold for the Slingshot. The best test we did was after Maggie Valley in 2017 and we tested no intake (filter right on the throttle body), stock intake, SLR CAI, HAHN, Alpha, DDMWorks and a 2' tube hooked straight to the throttle body all on the same Slingshot in about an hour. They all made the same power, except for the 2' tube on the throttle body, which consistently made about 2hp more than all the others, but not really practical ;)

thank you for this information - :thumbsup:

• With no shielding around the stock CAI on my '18 SLR, I'm wondering if in a hard rain it is going to intake water.
    I would suppose Polaris and aftermarket makers have tested this and it is of on concern?

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    Vanderhall Venice (traded for SLR Apr '18)
    '16.6 SLR LE (traded for Vanderhall Oct '17)
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling

• Before I installed my Hahn turbo kit, I had a Hahn CAI. The CAI seemed to improve acceleration around 3000+ rpm, but that may have also been due to the louder noise typically associated with a CAI. As far as needing a new tune just because of adding a CAI, there just doesn't seem to be enough of a gain to warrant doing so. Once you've added a CAI and replaced the exhaust system, it then can make sense to have your ECU reflashed with a custom CAI/Exhaust tune from Bob, but even then, your stock ECU tune should be able to adjust itself within limits. If you're only planning on adding a CAI and a new exhaust and want to get the maximum performance from your efforts, Bob's tune is worth considering as it's generally felt to be an improvement over the stock tune, but still isn't mandatory as long as you're not going boosted.