Goggles instead of helmet?

• Still waiting on delivery of new SLR, but I'm already looking into riding gear. We have no helmet law in Arkansas, but riding without eye protection doesn't sit well with me - too many years with goggles in lab, and too many close calls plus two incidents where people lost an eye.

I wanted something well ventalated, able to fit over & function with my bifocals, works with or without a cap, strong preference for goggles with interchangeable lenses.

Settled on these Zionor goggles, seem to meet all my needs and under $40. Great field of view, no distortion problems, shielded me from buffeting wind in open top vehicle at 85 mph, and still comfortable after 45 min ride. Lenses are magnetic & change in seconds.

Anyone else going goggleheaded when they ride?

• I wear a 1/2 helmet most of the time so like you I want some eye protection. I dont wear prescription glasses so that makes it easier and I just use Dewalt safety glasses. they are ANSI Z87.1+ certified and inexpensive. They also come in several different styles

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• yeah no foolin' - FOV = ear to ear and of course there is no distortion, those things happen to have the same curvature as the earth

JK .... hope we get a chance to see you in Eureka Springs next week

Eureka Springs is questionable.... still scrambling in home repair hell and no firm delivery date for my 2019 SLR.

Hail storm last July just wrecked us with baseball-size hailstones. Roof is scheduled to be replaced this week (house & garage).

We've run out of mod money for the house! LoL! :huh:

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• Sorry to hear about the hail. Been there, done that, couldn’t afford the t-shirt afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• As a side note - to the title of this thread "Goggles instead of helmet"

goggles / glasses are for eye protection a helmet is for head protection - yes a helmet with a face shield can also provide eye protection, but googles or glasses do not provide any head protection

I am sure we all already knew this, but I thought it was worth saying anyway :whistling:

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• Like the OP, would like to keep my eyes...

Have not found a pair of goggles, sealed or vented, that didn't fog up at a critical time. Having your vision white out adds a pucker factor.

So, protective eye wear, yes....
    Face sealing goggles, no.

Keep us posted on how the Zionor's work out.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• As a side note - to the title of this thread "Goggles instead of helmet"

goggles / glasses are for eye protection a helmet is for head protection - yes a helmet with a face shield can also provide eye protection, but googles or glasses do not provide any head protection

I am sure we all already knew this, but I thought it was worth saying anyway :whistling:

@edwardaneal - yes, you are absolutely correct - "instead" is not really the most accurate sentiment. "Goggles instead of nothing" might have been better. We have no real helmet law in AR - and I know many here are dead set against them for one reason or another, but I don't see eye protection as being as onerous as wearing a helmet. I see myself as sort of a pragmatic, situational helmet wearer:
    On a 2-wheel motorcycle -- always wear a full face helmet.
    On a Slingshot -- always at highway speeds (55+), always on a freeway, not around town or on country roads.

I can see myself wearing googles almost all the time, for wind protection, sun protection, dust & grit, etc. Just hope I do not get a "goggle tan" - I'll look like a reverse raccoon!

• @airoutlaw These goggles are supposed to be 'anti-fog' - but we all know that the gap between manufacturer's claims and reality can be mighty wide. Still, they are also vented top and bottom with the vents covered with a thin foam layer to keep out dust and rain. These all have very high ratings on Amazon (4.6 stars average) and they are designed for skiing & snowboarding, so I would think that the anti-fog had to be pretty good to satisfy that crowd - having a white-out while skiiing at 40-50 mph could be deadly!
    The other nice thing is that the lenses pop out easily - so it should be easy to apply rain-x or other products if needed.

It has been cool & foggy here in the Ozarks the last few mornings, so if my dealer will just get this Stop-Sale seatbelt recall issue solved and deliver my machine, I'll be able to test them and let you know how they work!

• I agree with you on helmet use but my limited goggle use in a warm environment I felt them to be hot, sweaty and occasionally foggy. I use wrap around tinted safety glasses like @edwardaneal. I wonder if you can get something more wrap around in a prescription? Do they make prescription goggles? (guess I'll have to google goggles :) )

• I agree with you on helmet use but my limited goggle use in a warm environment I felt them to be hot, sweaty and occasionally foggy. I use wrap around tinted safety glasses like @edwardaneal. I wonder if you can get something more wrap around in a prescription? Do they make prescription goggles? (guess I'll have to google goggles :) )

I've ordered a pair of prescription eyeglass lens holders like these. Plan to get new specs anyway, so I'll take the lenses from the last pair and mount them in these holders. The vendor says they make your goggles fit your eyeglass prescription - for about $8, I figure its worth a try. I'll let you know how they work when I get them.

I use to have a set of Wiley Rx Wraparounds that I used up in Washington. Pricey but quality equipment.

All Wiley X Prescription Sunglasses

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter