Other Money Pits / Hobbies

• Enrolled in ground school twice. First just before Desert Storm, second just before 9/11. Bad timing, both got derailed. Aero clubs permanently removed from air bases after 9/11. From time to time I think about pursuing again, mostly after a few beers ^^. Now retired. I actually just ordered (today) Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge / Airplane Flying Handbook Combo. At this point cost vs actual use is the biggest deterrent. I figured in my spare I can do some reading. Who knows, books are just a few bucks. If I do decide to go for it I'll enroll in an actual ground/flight school. There's one at a local airport 15 minutes away.

I think it was 4 lifetimes ago....when I had a little money in my pocket I spent some time in a Cessna 150 --- 60 hours and did all the paper work and tests, just never did the flight test. Life got in the way.

• Wow, so close! You can't get any closer than that! Any thoughts now?

Have no regrets ... When I was flying I was buying time for $8.00 hour. Now I can burn that much gas in the Slingshot in a little over an hour. The Gold Wing / Slingshot give you lots of the same 'open road/air space' that the 150 gives you. Love the 150 and the motorcycle....

• Enrolled in ground school twice. First just before Desert Storm, second just before 9/11. Bad timing, both got derailed. Aero clubs permanently removed from air bases after 9/11. From time to time I think about pursuing again, mostly after a few beers ^^. Now retired. I actually just ordered (today) Pilots Handbook of Aeronautical Knowledge / Airplane Flying Handbook Combo. At this point cost vs actual use is the biggest deterrent. I figured in my spare I can do some reading. Who knows, books are just a few bucks. If I do decide to go for it I'll enroll in an actual ground/flight school. There's one at a local airport 15 minutes away.

Take a Discovery Flight at your local airport. You get the opportunity to fly the plane with an instructor and get a better feel if it is something you really want to do. They usually run about $100 to $150 for an hour flight.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

2018 Slingshot SL

Sunset Red

Reading, PA 19606

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

• Take a Discovery Flight at your local airport. You get the opportunity to fly the plane with an instructor and get a better feel if it is something you really want to do. They usually run about $100 to $150 for an hour flight.

I was just doing some digging. Saw Discovery Flight on the local flight school (FreeFlight Aviation) at the Flying W Airport in Medford NJ. Sounds like a great idea.