Do you use hearing protection?

• Do any of you folks regularly use hearing protection when you ride?
    I had to get hearing aids last year when it became very difficult to hear students in my classroom, so now I am more protective of my hearing.
    I use Decibulz molded ear plugs when on my tractor or when shooting (or when shooting from my tractor!) The molded ear plugs were about $25 on Amazon. The hearing aids were almost $5K, and connect via bluetooth with my phone - but I won't be wearing them while riding to amplify road & wind noise!
    Any thoughts?

• Sorry to hear of your hearing issues. I won't be much of a help, but on the times where my wife and I take any long highway rides, we use the cheap foam ear plugs. They work great for me as they seem to only muffle some of the annoying noise without blocking out hearing important things. I'm sure there are a LOT better plugs, but they probably block too much of the noise. I'd feel too "confined" if I had one of those

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I use Bluetooth ear buds connected to my phone and listen to pandora. It blocks most wind noise and amplifies music well.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

Dochatley
    Dallas, Texas

• Sorry to hear of your hearing issues. I won't be much of a help, but on the times where my wife and I take any long highway rides, we use the cheap foam ear plugs. They work great for me as they seem to only muffle some of the annoying noise without blocking out hearing important things. I'm sure there are a LOT better plugs, but they probably block too much of the noise. I'd feel too "confined" if I had one of those

I've used foam plugs for years when shooting, upgraded to the Decibulz plugs to go from -19 Db up to -26 Db, and they are really comfortable as well.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• For me it’s simple. I turn my hearing aids off when I’m riding but keep them in, works like a champ. I had my audiologist give me a separate channel just for riding my motorcycle that accentuates the bass. Life is good with synthetic hearing !

And this may not be a popular thing to say however I have a stereo head unit but I only use the navigation and backup camera. I have not installed speakers in my slingshot. When the wife and I are on the motorcycle or the slingshot we like to leave all that behind and just enjoy the scenery, smells, and the wind.
    But that’s what makes us all cool and individual - we all do our own thing!
    :thumbup:

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

Edited once, last by SoCal ().

• Do any of you folks regularly use hearing protection when you ride?
    I had to get hearing aids last year when it became very difficult to hear students in my classroom, so now I am more protective of my hearing.
    I use Decibulz molded ear plugs when on my tractor or when shooting (or when shooting from my tractor!) The molded ear plugs were about $25 on Amazon. The hearing aids were almost $5K, and connect via bluetooth with my phone - but I won't be wearing them while riding to amplify road & wind noise!
    Any thoughts?

I will be in the minority here I'm sure. We use hearing protection if we are riding more than 15 min one way. If it's just a quick trip to town we don't. It takes a couple minutes to get them out an hooked up and then when you get where your going you may not want to leave them just laying in the sling so you have to take the time to put them away. The "them" I am speaking of is a set of Automatic Noise Canceling headphones. They will not block out all noise but they do a great job of blocking out the exhaust and wind noise. You can still hear cars come along beside you and other noises unless you have the music cranked way up but that would be the case without the headphones. We have an economical intercom system that we connect them into that allows us to communicate without screaming regardless of what speed we are running. We can also connect to them via blue tooth with our phones ect. To get the music we normally use an mp3 with a y connector and tap into the aux. port on the controller for the headsets. Sometimes we don't use the mp3 but instead just crank up the tunes on the factory system in the SS. Either way it is better with the headsets. They are light and comfortable even for an all day ride. The only draw back is the expense. I would only recommend headsets that have ANR. jes my .o2

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I bought the Eargasm Ear Plugs that someone posted about a year ago, they come with a small carrying container that you can just attach to your SS key.

They reduce wind noise while letting music and/or passenger complains in......... they are small and very portable which is great but the best thing for me is that they just reduce the frequencies that are harmful to your hearing, so just what you need to make SS rides comfortable without too much hassle.

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• When I first got my SS we did use EAR plugs while riding cross country. The exhaust produced 105 dB, way too loud. Since going to the Welter I really don’t need them any more.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• I only use hearing protection if she's a real screamer otherwise I go all natural,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what was it we were discussing???????????? I seemed to have gotten on a de-railed car somehow!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I don't think anyone mentioned helmet choice but that probably affects the wind noise quite a bit. And your windscreen height.

I have a standard height windscreen and I don't use a helmet most of the time. I find my hearing is dulled from the buffeting after a long ride at highway speeds so I've starting using foam earplugs if I plan to drive more than an hour or so at high speed. Cheap, and does the job.