Slingshot Detailing

• I'm sure most of you folks detail your own SS and enjoy doing so. I did it at first but I can assure you I didn't enjoy it. Just not my cup of tea. I came across this company while I was out working. They will clean outside for $19.95 The inside for $29.95 or both for $39.95 :D They gotta make their money through route density and efficiency. At this price, they can have it. This company is licensed bonded and insured. They have code to garage and they cleaned SS in garage without rolling it outside. They dry cleaned it!!!! Don't know how. Don't care. They did a great job. I realize most fellow SS aren't near me and can't use this company but I wanted to create this post because I had no idea I could get this done this cheap. Just thought this might help someone search out someone in their area if they were interested.

• I did a full detail twice kind of. By the time I am just finished washing, I need to be put in traction. I spend the nest 2 or 3 days just trying to walk, it kicks my ass. I usually just wait to hit the next rain storm. I would almost consider letting someone detail it. If I could sit on the porch and drink a beer like I do when the wife mows the lawn.

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• I did a full detail twice kind of. By the time I am just finished washing, I need to be put in traction. I spend the nest 2 or 3 days just trying to walk, it kicks my ass. I usually just wait to hit the next rain storm. I would almost consider letting someone detail it. If I could sit on the porch and drink a beer like I do when the wife mows the lawn.

There is nothing that says you have to do all of it in one day. But of course I have heat and air in my play room. 70,000 miles and mine still has not seen a water hose.

• It sure would be nice if there were vendors who would offer this service (detailing) at the slingshot events. Bikini car washes at least and see what the demands for detailing before the show and shine events

what size bikini you wear @funinthesun? Stores are having a good labor day sale going on.... :POKESS:

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• I have a black SS which we all know is toughest to keep clean. I am curious about this "dry washing." Is it just using Slick Mist or something similar? I use it to get rid of water marks after I wash it with conventional soap and water. I would think that if you use a detailing spray to wash a dirty SS that you would end up having swirl marks in the paint. Black paint is beautiful if it has a deep mirror like finish. If it is full of swirl marks it looks like crap. What do you use FunCycle? And does it leave you with swirl marks?

Always be yourself unless you can be Batman.
    Then be Batman!

• I have a black SS which we all know is toughest to keep clean. I am curious about this "dry washing." Is it just using Slick Mist or something similar? I use it to get rid of water marks after I wash it with conventional soap and water. I would think that if you use a detailing spray to wash a dirty SS that you would end up having swirl marks in the paint. Black paint is beautiful if it has a deep mirror like finish. If it is full of swirl marks it looks like crap. What do you use FunCycle? And does it leave you with swirl marks?

Quick Detail --- Lucas Quick Wax or Megiars Quick Wax or Quick Detail and 2 or 3 times Megiars paste wax. Also "NEVER" use regular towels to dry or wax or buff with or you will have swirl marks. My 35 Ford has hand rubbed black laquar (1974) with plenty of swirl marks because of regular towels over the years before the micro fiber towels and needs to be buffed out by someone who knows what they are doing.

• Quick Detail --- Lucas Quick Wax or Megiars Quick Wax or Quick Detail and 2 or 3 times Megiars paste wax. Also "NEVER" use regular towels to dry or wax or buff with or you will have swirl marks. My 35 Ford has hand rubbed black laquar (1974) with plenty of swirl marks because of regular towels over the years before the micro fiber towels and needs to be buffed out by someone who knows what they are doing.

Dont get a cheap thin microfiber either, And remember to pull the TAG off.... scratched the black glossy trim on my car using a microfiber towel that had a tag attached to it... ;(

I would also suppose that if your slingshot hasnt had a wet or dry - wipe down since the last 100 mudholes you splashed thru... probably should skip the dry wipe cleaning and go straight for the hose and bucket. We live on a dirt road, it gets dusty more than anything. We use a california duster. And those, work better the more they get used. The brand new ones leave a waxy film... and, you cant use this product if the vehicle is wet. Only use for DUST.
    The Original California Car Duster

All statements, posts, and general discussions made on this forum by me purposely reflect my opinions and personal experiences. 8)

• So the secret is in the towels. I have a number of the large double ply microfiber towels to use. Last spring my SS was full of swirl marks. It took the purchase of two polishers and at least 6 different products before I found the right combination that did the job. Not to mention about 20 man hours. What got the job done was a Grott DA polisher used with Meguires Ultimate Compound. Stay away from the cheap $80 polishers. They don't have enough power.

Because of all this time and money spent I became anal about how I clean my ride and what I use. I stopped using my California Duster and now use a leaf blower to remove most the water before I dry with microfiber. It has become a real process that keeps me from washing my SS as much as I would like. I had used detail spray in combination with microfiber in the past on a dirty SS. I thought that this was the cause of my problems. However, I also use to use an old terry cloth bath towel to dry it after washing. It sounds like that was the real culprit.

Thanks for the tips.

Always be yourself unless you can be Batman.
    Then be Batman!

• My latest detail on my 2015 Polaris Slingshot SL that I picked up on Saturday. It was "clean", but not to my liking, so I gave it a top to bottom detail. I followed this process to give it a good cleaning, polish, and layers of protection. Then I can just maintain which is a WHOLE lot easier.

Here is my list of products/procedures:

1. Cleaned engine bay with Griot`s Engine Cleaner, dried with a leaf blower, and sealed with Griot`s Engine Detailer
    2. Cleaned wheel wells with Griot`s Engine Cleaner
    3. Wheels cleaned with Griot`s Heavy-Duty Wheel Cleaner
    4. Washed with ONR to get any silicones/grease/dirt off
    5. Clayed paint in spots with Zaino clay bar
    6. Washed again, then dried completely
    7. Polished swirls with Griot`s Machine Polish 2 and an orange pad
    8. Wipe down with Speed Shine
    9. Second pass with Klasse AIO applied with PC and a yellow pad
    10. Wipe with SONUS Acrylic Spritz
    11. Applied 1 coat Klasse SG by hand with wipe-on/wipe-off method
    12. Wipe again with SONUS
    13. Applied S100 Wax Top coat wipe-on/wipe-off
    14. Wiped again with SONUS
    15. Cleaned plastic trim and applied Vinylex
    16. Tires with Griot`s Long Lasting Dressing
    17. Sprayed undercarriage where visible (wheel wells, around the rear wheel, etc) with Griot`s Undercarriage Spray and wiped residual spray
    18. Polished all plastic with Plexus
    19. Seats treated with Griot`s 3 in 1 Leather Cleaner/Conditioner

I didn`t get as deep of a shine as I wanted but I was trying to be careful with the paint, as I am not sure how thick the clear and paint is especially with all the lines on this thing! The pearl metallic shows through nicely though.

All in all, better than when it started.

Also, as stated above, use good applicators, microfiber towels, and avoid circular motions. Never wipe dry. Use a quick detailer solution if you are removing dust. Also avoid the Cali Duster. That is just dragging dirt across the vehicle until it gets picked up. This paint/clear will scratch very easily, and the paint seems very thin.

2015 Polaris Slingshot SL - Red Pearl

:REDSS::HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::MOTOROILSS:

• OMG I guess my idea of detailing is a little lower key. LOL

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• Did you buy it to ride/drive or keep it like new. Stop worrying about it and drive it like you stole it and put the miles on it.