Hahn turbo charger installed!

• Thanks to @rabtech and @Bill from Hahn RaceCraft for the assistance. Looks like its all together and running. Haven't put the hood and panels back on but started her up and slowly ran through some revs and everything appears to be functioning correctly. AEM read max pressure at 8lbs (if I am reading this damn thing right). Tomorrow maybe drop it on the ground, button her up and take her out.

• Thanks to @rabtech and @Bill from Hahn RaceCraft for the assistance. Looks like its all together and running. Haven't put the hood and panels back on but started her up and slowly ran through some revs and everything appears to be functioning correctly. AEM read max pressure at 8lbs (if I am reading this damn thing right). Tomorrow maybe drop it on the ground, button her up and take her out.

Outstanding! Incidentally, that 8 PSI reading you are seeing by free-revving (neutral, no load) is mostly spurious, and not directly related to actual boost pressure production. It's essentially momentary air surge as you open and close the throttle and the turbo gets tickled/not tickled. Normal, and fun too, mostly because it's also accompanied by all those other cool sounds, sights and smells of the first lighting of new boost on one's machine! Zoom zoom indeed :thumbsup:

Now for the debut, your first on-road Slingshot boosting, setting you back in your seat and making things blurry in a hurry. Do keep us apprised, your immediate reactions will usually be the most fun ones!

• First impressions!
    Suspension set to drag settings.
    Rear tire set to 22 psi.

1st gear pulls hard and boost begins to come into play around 2k-2.5k rpms. Around 5k rpms the tire gives way and the slingshot falls flat on its face. This improved a little more as I warmed up the tire but even the 345 had trouble hooking up until it warmed up sufficiently. I imagine it would take pressure in the teens to hook up completely in 1st gear.

2nd gear pulls hard all the way through the range on a warm tire, didn't play around too much with a cold tire. Still kicks the tire lose in corners under any boosted throttle but digs in hard in a straight line.

3rd gear flawless, pulls hard, sticks like glue on warm tire. Still puts your head back in the seat.

4th gear flawless, pulls hard, obviously no traction issues here. Impressive freeway passing speeds.

5th gear USABLE! Pulls all the way up to 1xx from 60mph. Doesn't put your head back in the seat but makes cruising on the highway convenient not having to shift.

Upgraded blow off valve worth every penny. It screams! Cold air intake gave some hood fitment issues it really presses down on the seal and makes opening and closing the hood a chore but probably worth it in the long run. I'm getting a sigifnicantly larger amount of fumes into the vehicle and hopefully once the ECU relearns everything this will die down. If not I will have to find another exhaust alternative. It is LOUD (streetrace exhaust) which I love.

Difficulty of install; I'll give it a 7/10. I have never wrenched on a car motor before and have only done minor work on motorcycles (maintenance and bolt on parts). The biggest challenge was getting bolts tightened in all the cramped places, I have several tools that had to be cut or ground to make it work in the space. It would have been easier if I had a fully compliment of tools. In my opnion, PDF should definitely include the necessary tools for DIY, however, Hahn does explicitly state the install is not for amateurs. And amateur I am! Total time to install, maybe 20 hours spread out over a week and a half. Some of that time lost to chewing up and/or snapping the heads off bolts due mainly to me. If I were to do it all over again, I would still probably install it all myself. It was a good learning experience, @rabtech was a god-send in his constant assistance, even as he was being hounded by 2-3 other people installing turbos. I did have one leftover 2" wide by 3" long hose extra. Never found a place for it, lets hope it wasn't neccesary! :D

• Although I see this happening in the future, now I am a little more comfortable with the prospect of tackling this project. I knew there was a lot of knowledge out there. I'm just glad that someone tapped into it before I did. @MACAWS, I'm still working on making it out to Blues and Booze. Would love to bend your ear on your take.

@lokati, That was a great write up on your experience. Thanks for the specific nuances to look for!! :thumbsup::thumbup:

Just looked at the "Confirmed" list. @rabtech will be there as well. Can I tap into some of that TURBO mind of yours as well? :thumbsup:

• Although I see this happening in the future, now I am a little more comfortable with the prospect of tackling this project. I knew there was a lot of knowledge out there. I'm just glad that someone tapped into it before I did. @MACAWS, I'm still working on making it out to Blues and Booze. Would love to bend your ear on your take.

@lokati, That was a great write up on your experience. Thanks for the specific nuances to look for!! :thumbsup::thumbup:

V-SHOT hopefully we can get together for a ride before Booze & Blues. I will happily let you take a quick spin as long as you promise to give it back. But I have to warn you the power is addicting. I am sure we can get the gang together for some wrenching and have you boosted in no time. If you want to talk more PM me and I will send you my cell number.

Lots of good weather on the horizon happy to meet you half way between our 2 locations for lunch and some riding.

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• You can take mine for a spin also. It is almost bulletproof.

I have to warn you. (and a few here will tell you this also). Once you drive it with a turbo you will NOT want to go back stock.... it is like night and day.... I tell everyone that rides with me or drives mine. It will spoil you in an instant....

So if your not ready to buy I would NOT get in one.

The turbo is one of those mods that when you drive it with one you will automatically say to yourself "This is what they should have released it with". It doesn't make the bike any less reliable in my opinion. And it doesn't do away with any of the factory safety features. Its just adds a ton of torque and power. All of which can be controlled by anyone...

The reliability factor is all in how you take care of it and how much boost you shove down its throat. If you stay in the recommended 8PSI range you will be fine. If you start tinkering in the 10 or 12 range your flirting with disaster.

• I can 100% confirm rabtech statement - he took me for a ride in Florida and I ordered a turbo the next day.
    Yes Rab put the needle in my arm! He is a pusher watch out for him.. Just kidding it was the best mod ever!
    No regrets except for the pile of used up rear tires

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• First off, thank you for choosing Hahn RaceCraft. Your business is greatly appreciated, and we're proud that you chose us. Second, muchos kudos to @rabtech for being the fount of knowledge he is in general, and on our product in particular. He's gone above and beyond, like every single day since I've met him, in helping out this community. If ever a fella was "all-in" on anything, it's this jolly guy and Slingshots!

Thanks also for your feedback, Lokati. Welcome to the Boost Posse! We play hard together, and we share what we've learned. Input from the field has been vital for us to continuously refine and improve our product, for we're not fans of compromise at Hahn. We like it hard, and fast, and very loud. We push the envelope first, accompanied by our most daring customers, and we learn what to expect. We learn what future customers will need to know...which is precisely why we set out to learn it in the first place. Well, that and it's also damned fun pushing that envelope, so there's that too! But at the end of the day, we do it to learn and improve and find new ways to make it all happen for our customer base first, and for the community in general as well.

Thanks in no small part to this Posse involvement, the SST TurboSystems we are shipping today are truly one of the most advanced, yet easy-to-understand turbosystem products that we've ever developed. Professional performance shop technicians who have significant experience with various competing brands will typically commend ours for being among the most complete, best documented, and easiest systems to install. This high level of detail and completeness makes it that much easier for the home enthusiast to understand as well. I am very proud of these SST TurboSystems, as they are my most recent design effort, and therefore should logically be the best system I have designed to date. Why set the bar any lower than that? I feel strongly that it is ;)

Please keep the feedback coming, and if you need anything, please let me know.

• I run the Mobil 1 dexos approved oil at Walmart. 14000 miles and looks like new still

As do I...but we do need to have a talk, my friend. The times, they are-a-changin'.

What we all need is to have a good thread discussion devoted solely to discussion of engine oil lubricants. There are some developments and aspects that we'd all benefit from expanding and expounding upon. Open casting call for someone to start a new thread on same!

• As do I...but we do need to have a talk, my friend. The times, they are-a-changin'.
    What we all need is to have a good thread discussion devoted solely to discussion of engine oil lubricants. There are some developments and aspects that we'd all benefit from expanding and expounding upon. Open casting call for someone to start a new thread on same!

Per your request Bill...

Engine Oil Lubricant Discussion Thread

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• 5w-30 ? Still waiting for Hahn...
    Meanwhile I was able to install AEM, oil pressure, oil temp gauges, external antenna, halo LEDS. Next will be adding the headlight bypass switch .. turn signals should still be working even with the headlights off correct?