What do you carry .....it in ??

• I just ordered a Kimber Ultra Carry II .45 for a new concealed carry. I know we have another thread dedicated to the gun but nothing about a holster I could find. I been looking online and it’s kinda hard to tell what’s best with so many to choose from. I know you guys won’t steer me wrong - what do you recommend??)

PS I prefer IWB type

I might not be right but I can sure sound like it

• @Bill Martin, Heather and I were going to make the recommendation to you for the same holster she carries her Kimber Ultra Carry II in. Unfortunately, we discovered today that he is out of business, which is a bummer for us for when we want new holsters. So, looks like we are back to the drawing board as well.

In general, you are probably looking for something that is Kydex, or Kydex and leather, and you definitely want something that is specifically fitted to the gun. None of those big baggy nylon pouch holsters for carrying IWB.

Also, I have a question for you. Are you planning to wear this on your person all the time, while you are out and around, or is it mostly for in the house, or while you are driving, or what? That will help make the determination of where it goes on your body. For example, if it is mostly a truck gun, you might want to consider a cross draw holster, on your left hip with the butt forward so you can reach across and grab it with your right hand. That way when you are sitting in the truck, it isn't trapped behind your body, and you may find it more comfortable. Quick story, a friend of a friend in Virginia Beach actually just shot his way out of a situation the other day when he got robbed at gunpoint in his truck. He gave the guy all his stuff out the window, and then he got ordered out of the truck, which finally gave him easy access to his gun. When he stepped out of the vehicle and the car-jacker's attention wavered, he was able to draw from behind his back and shoot at point-blank range, ending the threat. He told us that the lesson for him is that when he is driving in bad parts of town, he will not carry behind his back anymore.

Just a thought, given some of your Mobility challenges, you may also want to consider putting that Kimber somewhere else beside your waist. A lot of that will depend on how you are dressing and where you are wearing it, but that kind of weight on one side of your hip can contribute to back pain and unbalanced spinal loads.

I'm sorry that our first recommendation didn't pan out, since the guy has not out of business. I will take a look later today and see what else I might be able to recommend to you. My primary recommendation is that you find a gun show near you, take your pistol with you per whatever rules they have (probably unloaded and zip-tied open) and walk around the gun show, trying on holsters. Those are generally the best places to find many manufacturers all in one place. You're definitely going to want to find something that is comfortable for you.

I will get back to you soon with some other ideas. Would like to help you solve this, for sure.

• I have never carried with IWB, I just do not like that idea. I use a leather Uncle Mike's paddle holster I think that I bought years ago at a gun show. I like the paddle holster because I can move it around on my side or back when I need to and also the weight of the gun does not dig in with the paddle on my side or hip. I have bought the belt loop holsters also but do not like them because you cannot move them around at all.

• @Dochatley your link is no good but thanks anyway. @KayTwo I was leaning toward a Kydex but now I am more confused than when I started. How you like that Kimber?? Gonna be bout 3 weeks before I get mine.

@Bill Martin, didn't mean to confuse you. Kydex is just the material, there are many manufacturers of holsters that use Kydex. The Kydex & leather combinations are usually a little more polished in construction and looks, maybe a little more comfortable, and there are definitely people who swear by them.

As far as the gun, it's not mine. It is one of @sideseatdriver 's two primary carry pieces. I know she loves it, and she shoots it very well, but I will let her tell that story and give you any details.

• Another + vote for the "cross draw"! I wore my EDC cross draw for a long time and for my needs it was definitely the best but then I decided that it was time to go with a WML(weapon mounted light) which in my case meant buying a new weapon. I suppose it was time because I'd been carrying the same one for almost 20yrs and back then weapons were not designed to have lights mounted on them. Then came the sad part. No one makes a holster that accommodates a WML that cants enough to use it for cross draw carry. At least I haven't found anyone that makes one that is acceptable. So I ended up going back to strong side carry in a Safariland ALS. No, my particular holster is not IWB as you stated that you'd rather have but anything Safariland makes is usually good quality products so give them a look.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• @Bill Martin, didn't mean to confuse you. Kydex is just the material, there are many manufacturers of holsters that use Kydex. The Kydex & leather combinations are usually a little more polished in construction and looks, maybe a little more comfortable, and there are definitely people who swear by them.
    As far as the gun, it's not mine. It is one of @sideseatdriver 's two primary Kerry pieces. I know she loves it, and she shoots it very well, but I will let her tell that story and give you any details.

Still on the hunt - never considered getting a CCW until now - can’t move to quick these days so if I’m gonna HOPEFULLY STAND my ground I gotta have something to do it with :00008172:

• Have just about every carry option and combination of materials, he will also build one off units if you have something special in mind or any specific needs ....

MDJ Custom Holsters

Being left handed, in a hot climate that requires some creativity in carry configurations, and having an affinity for somewhat rare (at least in this country) full size firearms, it is hard to find a builder who can accommodate as many options and has a willingness to listen to what you need/want instead of just offering the most common products.

.... ninja-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• @Bill Martin, considering that LA is an OC state, you also might want to consider a OWB option on your strong side or just behind your hipbone, and just leave your shirt untucked over it. That will probably be more comfortable, as it eases the pressure on your hip or back from the bulge of the holster. Will you be wearing a belt, or suspenders?

• Thanks for the link @Orangeman! I just ordered one from this site - also left handed.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I took your advice @KayTwo - the leather lining had not occurred to me. I found one I really like - the Silent Thunder from Garrett Industries. Silent Thunder IWB

I like this one because it looks like it does not add much more bulk than the weapon itself plus really secures it - what ya think??

• I use an Urban Carry holster for a Ruger LC9s.
    The Ruger is completely enclosed, yet accessible in a second. (They have sizes to fit most pistols or revolvers.)
    Leather holster hangs from any belt, gun is concealed below your waistband. Going on 3 years with this, no one has picked up on my holster in slacks, jeans, or shorts. Very comfortable to wear.
    Cost is reasonable too, about $65.
    Worth a look.

The smarter you get, the funnier I am.

• I took your advice @KayTwo - the leather lining had not occurred to me. I found one I really like - the Silent Thunder from Garrett Industries. Silent Thunder IWB

I like this one because it looks like it does not add much more bulk than the weapon itself plus really secures it - what ya think??

Never heard of it, but it looks like they have the right idea. Some good reviews, some adjustability, and some quality control in their product.

Also, look at some of the products by Galco, and the Crossbreed Supertuck.

• I’m going to throw my 2 cents in here. Check out Stealth Gear USA. Their venticore series is amazingly comfortable, breathable, wearable all day, and washable. They make it in a mini and a standard. My EDC is a Shield 45. I originally tried the mini and wasn’t sold so I tried the standard and love it. They actually make one for your Kimber and can be found here kimber-ultracarryii-ventcore-standard.html If you want an OWB check out their Flex series. Are use one of those for my VP9 and love it. If you need one that will also accommodate a light multiholsters, while not as comfortable, makes a lot of custom stuff. I have a Viridian X5L on my VP9 and finding a holster was almost impossible. Homepage – MultiHolsters made one for me. OWB but I’m my opinion that’s way to big for an EDC. Also, if you’re also in the market for a good EDC belt I stumbled across one at Cabelas of all places. They’re nylon and have a triangular shaped buckle and are 2 layers thick which keeps them from sagging. They’re also only $24. Good luck. The holster game sucks and a holster that fits one person great may not fit you. I think I have 8 or 9 holsters and use 2-3 of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• I’m going to throw my 2 cents in here. Check out Stealth Gear USA. Their venticore series is amazingly comfortable, breathable, wearable all day, and washable. They make it in a mini and a standard. My EDC is a Shield 45. I originally tried the mini and wasn’t sold so I tried the standard and love it. They actually make one for your Kimber and can be found here kimber-ultracarryii-ventcore-standard.html If you want an OWB check out their Flex series. Are use one of those for my VP9 and love it. If you need one that will also accommodate a light multiholsters, while not as comfortable, makes a lot of custom stuff. I have a Viridian X5L on my VP9 and finding a holster was almost impossible. Homepage – MultiHolsters made one for me. OWB but I’m my opinion that’s way to big for an EDC. Also, if you’re also in the market for a good EDC belt I stumbled across one at Cabelas of all places. They’re nylon and have a triangular shaped buckle and are 2 layers thick which keeps them from sagging. They’re also only $24. Good luck. The holster game sucks and a holster that fits one person great may not fit you. I think I have 8 or 9 holsters and use 2-3 of them.

Great info! I know your post was directed primarily at Bill but you made point that made me reflect on my own post. Most people that are not in law enforcement don't carry a weapon with a light mounted. Here in Alabama we are an "open carry" state and I see more and more citizens carrying firearms with lights. I mostly carry open whether I'm working or not unless the particular situation dictates otherwise. Anytime I am going into a situation that COULD require artificial light I always carry a weapon with one mounted and have a handheld light also. You don't want to walk around pointing your gun at everything you want to see unless your clearing a building or area for a dangerous suspect.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

Everyone has a drawer full of ones they do not like. Talking about all of this I decided to go to the range and pop off a few. I had not shot in a few months, I can still hit the lock on the barn door and I picked up about a 5 gallon bucket of assorted brass. That brings me up to around 14 buckets of brass, that I refuse to scrap. One day it is going to be like gold.

• Don't know what you got against the lock on the barn door, unless you don't have a key! LOL

Yep, one day that brass will be worth a mint. Wish I had a truck load or two!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Don't know what you got against the lock on the barn door, unless you don't have a key! LOL

Yep, one day that brass will be worth a mint. Wish I had a truck load or two!

About 5 years ago it was $1.36 a pound as scrap and I had over a $1,000 worth at that time. Yes, and I still have it. I do not know what the reload brass is now. I probably have over 500 pounds already cleaned and sorted. Back at my last heart bypass I sorted out 11 buckets just to have something t do.