Official - Seat Belt Retractor recall

• August 15, 2018 NHTSA CAMPAIGN NUMBER: 18V531000
    Seatbelt Retractor may Separate and Fail
    In the event of a crash, if the seat belt does not lock, the occupant may not be properly restrained, increasing their risk of injury.

NHTSA Campaign Number: 18V531000

Manufacturer Polaris Industries, Inc.

Components SEAT BELTS

Potential Number of Units Affected 10,658

Summary
    Polaris Industries, Inc. (Polaris) is recalling certain 2017-2019 Polaris Slingshot S, Slingshot SL, Slingshot GT LE, and Slingshot SLR motorcycles. In the event of a crash, the seatbelt retractor on the side opposite of the impact may separate, preventing the seatbelt from locking.

Remedy
    Polaris will notify owners, and dealers will install a kit that prevents the retractor from separating in the event of a crash, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin August 28, 2018. Owners may contact Polaris customer service at 1-855-863-2284. Polaris' number for this recall is T-18-03.

• @Rob the Slob

I think you had a seatbelt problem in Maggie Valley. Polaris will fix it for FREE. I know your seat belt retractor stuck, but could be related.

• We use ours religiously and in an accident they may fail but in everyday use you can't get the damn things to pull out unless you are sitting perfectly still. If you forget and start rolling down the street before you try to put it on you can forget it, it ain't happening!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I switched to an old school non retracting lab belt over a year ago - Only use the factory belt out on the freeway.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Is this recall for real cause it doesn't seem like anyone is taking this seriously. Never dealt with Polaris before so I don't know how their service is.

too early to get wrapped around the axle without any real details. And it's not the service from Polaris, it depends on your local dealer. If you have a good dealer, they will take care of you. If your dealer isn't so great... Well, they might take care of you, but you also might not trust them.

• Is this recall for real cause it doesn't seem like anyone is taking this seriously. Never dealt with Polaris before so I don't know how their service is.

Sorry if you feel we don't take these recalls seriously...

They make the announcement to cover their ying and yang.
    Decide a course of action, distribute requirements to dealers, then owners get another trip back to service department. Not always in a timely manner. Summer recalls are the most annoying, especially if it is a stop ride recall which was not the wording in this seat belt recall...

As to my lack of seriousness....
    This is the second recall this year that has not identified my vehicle. I do have a long frame of recall stickers in my engine compartment...

SO YEAH, TO DATE, RECALL FREE 2018!

Happy dance!slingshotinfo.com/wcf/index.php?attachment/84503/

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• 8/2018 – As a result of continued discussion with NHTSA, Polaris determines that a change in the frame design on 2017 and newer model year subject vehicles results in higher stresses being imparted on the seatbelt during a side impact at the speeds reflected in FMVSS 214. This additional stress may cause the seatbelt retractor to fail, which may prevent the seatbelt from properly restraining an occupant during a crash at this speed. Polaris agrees to file under Part 573. Testing demonstrated that the additional stresses do not occur on seatbelts installed on 2016 and older model year vehicles.

• We use ours religiously and in an accident they may fail but in everyday use you can't get the damn things to pull out unless you are sitting perfectly still. If you forget and start rolling down the street before you try to put it on you can forget it, it ain't happening!

Been there done that, I spent 20 min trying to slowly inching at little by little trying to feed the damn thing to latch. I gave up and pulled over. My other issue is they do not seem to retract very well. I seem to self feed it most the time.

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• perhaps this is a sign that we are done with recalls on the 2015 / 2016 years - I got lucky with my 2016, it was the dealers demo before I bought it and all of the recalls except the grommets and seat frame inspections had been done before I brought it home as to the seats and grommetts I got those two checked off when I took it in to replace a dead battery - I have not had to deal with any down time due to recalls and hopefully there wont be any in the future

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• 8/2018 – As a result of continued discussion with NHTSA, Polaris determines that a change in the frame design on 2017 and newer model year subject vehicles results in higher stresses being imparted on the seatbelt during a side impact at the speeds reflected in FMVSS 214. This additional stress may cause the seatbelt retractor to fail, which may prevent the seatbelt from properly restraining an occupant during a crash at this speed. Polaris agrees to file under Part 573. Testing demonstrated that the additional stresses do not occur on seatbelts installed on 2016 and older model year vehicles.

Could somebody show us what changes were made in this area between 2016 and 2017?

Bill