A question for those using an open trailer

• I have decided to use an open trailer to trailer my SS. I am going to liquidate two trailers I currently have in my business so this trailer will primarily be used in my Landscaping business and only used to trailer the SS a handful of times a year.
    2018 Gatormade Trailers 82x14 tandem Utility Trailer | O Quinn Trailers in Coeburn VA | New and used enclosed cargo mate and flatbed gatormade trailers including Gatormade
    The trailer is only $2395 out the door (no tax) and my current trailers will liquidate for more than that, so no out of pocket cost for me.
    My pull truck is a 1997 Toyota T100 with super super low miles. The towing capacity is 5100 so I am well within my weight limit for the truck. That will not be an issue as it pulls two 1250 pound mowers daily on a 76x14 trailer.
    My concerns are is 82 wide enough to get the job done and covering it with something during transport without damaging paint. I have a bullet speed top. I would like to hear from some people with experience towing on an open trailer and would like to get their thoughts. I will be buying the ramps similar to the ones Sam Owes uses in his video. Any help and advice would be appreciated. I realize that an enclosed trailer would be the way to go but the last thing I want is something to mow around that I only use a couple of times a year. Thanks in advance for helping a rookie. Looking forward to Clarksville.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• I have decided to use an open trailer to trailer my SS. I am going to liquidate two trailers I currently have in my business so this trailer will primarily be used in my Landscaping business and only used to trailer the SS a handful of times a year.
    2018 Gatormade Trailers 82x14 tandem Utility Trailer | O Quinn Trailers in Coeburn VA | New and used enclosed cargo mate and flatbed gatormade trailers including Gatormade
    The trailer is only $2395 out the door (no tax) and my current trailers will liquidate for more than that, so no out of pocket cost for me.
    My pull truck is a 1997 Toyota T100 with super super low miles. The towing capacity is 5100 so I am well within my weight limit for the truck. That will not be an issue as it pulls two 1250 pound mowers daily on a 76x14 trailer.
    My concerns are is 82 wide enough to get the job done and covering it with something during transport without damaging paint. I have a bullet speed top. I would like to hear from some people with experience towing on an open trailer and would like to get their thoughts. I will be buying the ramps similar to the ones Sam Owes uses in his video. Any help and advice would be appreciated. I realize that an enclosed trailer would be the way to go but the last thing I want is something to mow around that I only use a couple of times a year. Thanks in advance for helping a rookie. Looking forward to Clarksville.

I would highly recommend getting a trailer that is 16 feet long. The 14 will work, but no room to spare in the front or back. The width is good, I would just reconsider the length.

And if you want to transport your Sling covered make sure you get a cover that is made for transporting. The cover must be skin tight or it will flap everywhere and mess up your paint.

• I totally agree with @av8ingtom and I would heed his advice (always)!

82” trailers pose some problems with the Sling unless the 82” is between the wheel Wells ... in other words— 82” of full bed width! If that is the case, you would be good.
    Even the best drivers would be a bit hard pressed to load a Sling with a 1”2 clearance on each side! Add aftermarket wheels and you can be wider than stock so think on that as well.

• @123hotdog I agree with @Painter and @av8ingtom completely only I have enclosed 20 ‘ trailer and use for hauling other vehicles as well . Only I cheat cause I use a winch to pull it on cause of clearance issues. I also have e-trac that ties down over wheels instead of axles. Like that much better cause ss does not shift in any direction. Just my .02$

JUST SAYIN

Keep Three Wheels Down

• Great input about the winch Boomer. My current cab over NPR has a winch that I use for work in case a mower breaks down. I will definitely add a winch first thing. I will have to go with 14 feet however. I use a 14 footer now in my work and it is already hard enough to get in and out of some places. Luckily my pull truck has a camper top on it and I will be able to store anything I need there. i,e, ramps ect.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• Bought a trailer today. Went with a 14' x 6'11'' tandem axle Lone Wolf utility trailer. Ordered gorilla lift for gate just now. Got a great deal. Local dealer was really fair with me and took my old trailer on trade. Trailer was only $2275 and he gave me $775 for my 18 year old 6'4''x14'. I am going to weld three more post in gate dead center of where SS tires ride on it. I have a mechanical winch from years ago that is rated at 2,000 pounds and I've already installed it. I will be building my own ramps for gate. I can wrap my wallet around the cost of race ramps but I just can't wrap my mind around it. That just seems a little much to me.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

• Before spending the money on race ramps, try backing your truck on regular ramps. It might put you trailer at a good angle to winch the ss on.

What a great idea. I am going to Harbor Freight today and get two ramps and try it. Even if it doesn't work, it's a great idea and definitely worth a shot.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

• @123hotdog those ramps at harbor freight for 39$ are good for also working on sling just put them behind front wheels and backup . Plastic ramps don’t slide like metal did. Sometimes where it is available drive up to curb with truck and let trailer be little lower than truck. A couple 2x6 boards for little extra work as well.

JUST SAYIN

Keep Three Wheels Down

• I am going to try all of the above in the morning. Heat and humidity is crazy here today. My gate is only four foot and I know that is making it difficult as well. I just use this trailer every single day for work and with the help of you folks on here I know I will be able to make it work. Once again, thanks for all the help and insight. Being on this forum has and is making the SS a much more enjoyable experience. :thumbsup:

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

• I am going to try all of the above in the morning. Heat and humidity is crazy here today. My gate is only four foot and I know that is making it difficult as well. I just use this trailer every single day for work and with the help of you folks on here I know I will be able to make it work. Once again, thanks for all the help and insight. Being on this forum has and is making the SS a much more enjoyable experience. :thumbsup:

I understand 'use for work' --- EJF Painting owns my trailer. Can you pick up a 6 ft gate for the times you want to load the Slingshot. Granted the 6ft get looks a little funky...

• That's an excellent idea. The worst part is the current four foot gate is a little short for even what I do. Mower decks drag just a little. I got such a great deal on it just couldn't pass it up. I think I am going to send an email to the manufacturer to see if I can purchase a longer gate. I am still going to get the ramps from Harbor Freight I'm sure I will be able to use them.

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

• A single axle trailer is all you need to transport the Sling. Also, I leave the trailer attached to the Tahoe & crank the trailer tongue and the rear of the car up with the tongue winch so that no ramps are required to load or offload. I winch the Sling onto the trailer ass first.

• I actually worked on modifications to trailer yesterday. After looking at EJ Fords gate, I didn't make mine longer but I did weld in extra braces to gate where the center of the front tires will be on gate. The tongue jack would not jack the trailer up high enough even if I put a block under it but Harbor Freight did finally get the ramps in that I wanted. Just as Boomer and BrianL suggested the ramps are perfect. I backed truck up on ramps. It was perfect. The ramps are super light and really strong. I realize I only needed a single axle trailer to haul SS but the trailer is dual purpose and I use it every single day for work and it must be tandem axle. Thanks for the input Slingshooter. I wandered about ass first or nose first. What do you connect winch to Slingshooter when you put it on ass first?

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

• Finally. The SS is on the trailer. I would like to express a sincere "thank you" to all that chimed in. The ramps from Harbor Freight gave me the angle I needed but only if SS was put on ass first (much more clearance that way). I used a hand crank winch that I've had for years similar to what is on a boat trailer. I used two strap slings from Harbor Freight and hooked them in winch hook and here is the link to those. 6000 lbs. Capacity 2 in. x 20 ft. Heavy Duty Recovery Strap I was hesitant to put them around the roll hoops but it worked perfect both times. No bend, no sway, no cracking, no popping. I listened and watched. Even with a trailer 83 wide, its tight. I attached two e-tracks to a pair of 2x6's. I will then attach the 2x6's to the trailer with carriage bolts, then I will strap SS around the two front tires to the e-tracks. I could have attached the e-tracks directly to the trailer but I am a Landscaper and those tracks would stay full of debris. This way the e-tracks will only be on trailer when SS is on trailer. I should've done like EjFord and put a six foot gate on. Would've made my life allot easier. I have a four foot gate. I like a short gate for my work. I really hope this helps anyone in the future.slingshotinfo.com/wcf/index.php?attachment/85808/slingshotinfo.com/wcf/index.php?attachment/85808/

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads