oil change on the 2018 SS SL

• Can anyone tell me what oil filter to purchase and also the oil filter wrench to remove the filter. I have seen a video on an oil filter by AC Delco that is the same as the Polaris version. Does anyone know about that. Also, where to purchase these items. Thanks

Ok so who is next. Haters are gonna hate regardless

• Can anyone tell me what oil filter to purchase and also the oil filter wrench to remove the filter. I have seen a video on an oil filter by AC Delco that is the same as the Polaris version. Does anyone know about that. Also, where to purchase these items. Thanks

not that we won't just tell you but that most of that information should be in the owners manual which .... in my best dad voice ... should be read by you

Also check out the search feature - it's pretty good at bringing up previous discussions on filters and oil changes

• I got everything needed from Amazon.

Figured having receipts for genuine Polaris parts and oil would put to rest any warranty fights should they occur.

1. Genuine Polaris Slingshot oil change kit. $79.98
    2. Lisle 14700 1-1/4”/32mm Oil Filter Socket for GM Ecotec. $7.86
    3. Plews 75-760 Plastic Drain Pan - 6 Quart Capacity. $5.77

Easiest oil change ever. You can reach the drain plug from above - no need for jacks or ramps.

The shallow 6 quart drain pan slides under without any problem.

• I have a 2018 SLR LE and I get my oil and filter from Wal-Mart. I will catch a ton of grief for this but I use 5w-30 Synthetic Supertech and a Supertech filter as well. I own a Landscaping Company with 128 pieces of equipment that require some type of motor oil and filter. I use Supertech oil in all of it including my wife's 2016 Camaro. Never had one bit of failures in any of it. Been using it for years. The oil and filter for my Slingshot at the dealer is $63 and at Wal-Mart it is less than $20

2018 SLR LE
    Bullet Speed Top

Hawk 5.0 Pads

My girlfriend loves SS more than me but can't drive a manual laugh-squaredlaugh-squared Lucky me!!!

• Walmart Mobil 1 about $25 -- K & N PS-7000 filter about $4.50

• Figured having receipts for genuine Polaris parts and oil would put to rest any warranty fights should they occur.

Just curious why you think there could be a "warranty fight" if you don't use Polaris parts for an oil change. I see this all the time on FB owner pages, and I just don't get it....if you use the standards as delineated in the owner's manual, why would manufacturer or label matter? Serious question.

• Just curious why you think there could be a "warranty fight" if you don't use Polaris parts for an oil change. I see this all the time on FB owner pages, and I just don't get it....if you use the standards as delineated in the owner's manual, why would manufacturer or label matter? Serious question.

I have never been asked by a dealer to show evidence that the oil had been changed or that I used any specific kind of oil

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Just curious why you think there could be a "warranty fight" if you don't use Polaris parts for an oil change. I see this all the time on FB owner pages, and I just don't get it....if you use the standards as delineated in the owner's manual, why would manufacturer or label matter? Serious question.

The Magnuson-Moss warranty act protects consumers and allows them to bring a vehicle, under warranty, to facilities other than a manufacturer dealership for routine maintenance. The act also allows the use of aftermarket products, providing that the products meet minimum manufacturers specifications. This also allows for self performed maintenance such as oil changes, etc while maintaining the manufacturers warranty.

Should there be some catastrophic failure, it is very likely that the manufacturer will request service records and receipts for products used. If a product does not meet manufacturers minimum specs, they can deny a warranty claim. Also, if they can prove that the aftermarket product failed (such as an oil filer), they can deny a warranty claim.
    If there are any aftermarket items such as cold air intake, tuner, exhaust mods, etc. that can be viewed as changing the operating characteristics of the motor, that also gives them standing to deny a warranty claim.

Fiat Chrysler America (aka Dodge, Ram, Jeep, etc) is fairly well known for the above tactics. Particularly with their "Extended Warranty". They actually word the "extended warranty" so that it is a service contract and not an extension of the manufacturer's warranty. Thus, the Magnuson-Moss warranty act does not apply.

I am not saying that Polaris would fight an owner for any warranty claims but, I would rather use only what a dealer would use during the warranty period. No need to give any reasons to deny a warranty issue.

About a year ago, I had a brand new Arctic Cat ATV. Complained to the dealer within the first 12 miles that the clutch was making horrible noises. They claimed nothing wrong and actually charged me 1 hour labor for my "phantom" noises. At 70 miles, the belt shredded leaving me 18 miles from home. I ordered a new belt (from an online Cat dealer) and pulled the belt cover off to replace / inspect. While in there, I found much play in the primary clutch. So, I complained again to the dealer (fearing it is going to fail again) and brought it to them again. They replace a bearing and wrote in all capitol letters "DO NOT TAKE ATV APART FOR WARRANTY ISSUES !!!!! YOU WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY!!!!"

Cleaning and replacement of belts on an ATV is normal maintenance.

Needless to say, I sold the ATV in favor of the Slingshot.