Red Button doesn’t start Sling...HELP!

• Drove it this past weekend. Drove fine, no issues. Went to take it out last night.
    1. Key on. Everything lights up and all power works.
    2. Press red button and nothing happens. No start.
    *checked starter relay and swapped it out with turn signal relay to rule it out.

Then researched on here last night and found some good posts to try tonight,

*Located clutch switch under CPU above clutch. Took a wire and jumpered the plug on the harness side. No go.
    *Checked battery negative cable and made sure all is tight and nothing is touching.
    *Checked other fuses, and none of them is blown
    *Pulled radio and check the plug to the red button. Nothing is loose. Button does light up. Check other wires while there and nothing burnt or out of the ordinary

I am stuck. Thought it would be the clutch switch but I jumpered that. Do the red buttons go bad? Any other thoughts or anyone had a similar issue? Is it possibly the jumper won’t work? I don’t want to rule out the clutch switch.

• Do you hear the click of the starter? Or just nothing happens when you press the button?

Pull out the button and try just crossing the wires (without button) to see if the starter engages (make sure you're ready to start - emerg brake on, clutch in, etc.) If touching the wires runs the starter, you know it is the button. If it doesn't, you'll have to look down stream.

• Ej

I checked and I have 12.9 at the battery. I keep it on an Optima charger most of the time. I have full power otherwise and everything turns on. Have the starter buttons been known to go bad?

• I'm probably grasping at straws here but have you topped off your alternator with electricity lately? Almost everyone remembers to put gas in their tank and check their brake and clutch fluid reservoirs. But the alternator is often overlooked. You don't need the Polaris electricity as they would have you believe. Get a can of any brand electricity from your local auto parts store - make sure to get the 12 volt - and fill your alternator to the fill line.

This has been a public service announcement.

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• I'm probably grasping at straws here but have you topped off your alternator with electricity lately? Almost everyone remembers to put gas in their tank and check their brake and clutch fluid reservoirs. But the alternator is often overlooked. You don't need the Polaris electricity as they would have you believe. Get a can of any brand electricity from your local auto parts store - make sure to get the 12 volt - and fill your alternator to the fill line.

This has been a public service announcement.

And the dealer used to ding SlingLow a LOT of money for that service before he figured out how to do it himself!
    :rolleyes:

• Ej

I checked and I have 12.9 at the battery. I keep it on an Optima charger most of the time. I have full power otherwise and everything turns on. Have the starter buttons been known to go bad?

Mine did the same thing. Measured 12.9 at starter post and push button NADA. Turns out bad cell in battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Dochatley
    Dallas, Texas

• My suggestion is to install one of the small digital volt meters on your Slingshot. Sometimes you can have a bad cell in the battery and the voltage will read good until there is a load applied to the battery. By having the volt meter installed you can see some of these problems and also tell if the alternator is charging the battery and also what the voltage is at all times.

• My suggestion is to install one of the small digital volt meters on your Slingshot. Sometimes you can have a bad cell in the battery and the voltage will read good until there is a load applied to the battery. By having the volt meter installed you can see some of these problems and also tell if the alternator is charging the battery and also what the voltage is at all times.

Ride Command has a digital volt meter.

• Swapped with another Yellow top from my Chevelle. Same issue. 12.8 volts at battery. Everything lights up. No button fire. I took the button out as well and tried cross the black with either the blue and red and it still didn’t fire. So I am thinking it’s not the stupid button either. Still could be the clutch switch, but I did jumper it. I have an appointment at the dealer for Friday. Just kills me I can figure it out.