Slingshot Battery Removal, Installation and Maintenance

• Folks, this is a problem that can be handled well with the proper knowledge. Without, you are looking at a nightmare night for sure. Where is the battery when you need a jump. With my video you will be able to handle a battery issue with just a couple of minutes of removing a panel and gaining access to your battery terminal for that quick jump and on your way. You will also be able to check the battery fluid levels and maintain battery terminals for good connection. When you do need to change the battery, this video will show all steps to remove and install.

Where is the Battery

• Samowens44
    Another Great Video
    thanks for sharing
    carol & i recommend putting grease on the battery terminals
    will stop corrosion
    bearing/ball joint grease, white lithium, Dielectric grease
    AND/OR Vaseline Petroleum Jelly
    and it is too bad you did not show how to install battery tender wires - - maybe your next video

..................................... tom n carol

• Folks thanks very much for your comments and suggestions. I have had a lot of suggestions as to what I could have put into the video, all great ideas. Everyone has an idea, but, when I create a video I am working with a time element to make as short as possible. I start with a thyme idea. Each idea takes time to explain and show in a video and soon, too many things misses the main point. Most folks never think of the battery until they have a problem, it won't start. This goes with all vehicles, the battery is only thought of when a problem develops. I wanted my thyme to show how easy it is to get to the battery, with the proper tool, get to the positive terminal if you left key on and needed a jump. Now the other part is how to remove the battery, check fluid levels, clean post and terminals, and replace. Now is the time to add suggestions and solutions for others. There have been suggestions of cleaning terminals with Coca Cola, baking soda and some other products made just for terminals. I have peoples attention about the battery, my main objective has been reached.

• Well, Sam: I did my battery maintenance today, and Glad I Did ! I tried to follow your instructions, but I got one backwards. I thought I was supposed to arc my wrench across both terminals, but when I saw the sparks, I remembered I was supposed to avoid that. Anyhow, I cleaned the corrosion off the + terminal, coated it with dielectric grease, & re-installed both cables. Then when I tried to re-mount the battery, I found the cables were too short.......or possibly I installed them in the incorrect orientation (wishing you were here,Sam)Starting over, I reoriented the cables, & forced the battery back into it's rack and buttoned her back up. One of my most exhilarating maintenance episodes !

Addendum for subsequent battery maintenance: Use a T35 bit for the cover fasteners. Use a 1/2" SAE wrench for the locking block & battery terminals. Call Sam for emergencies & fires. Also, pay attention as to the orientation of the battery cables, so they can be re-installed the same direction.

• Useful comparison information on the various Optima battery colors (red top, yellow top & blue top - blue top further broken down to dark gray case & light gray case). Information is from Optima's website, FAQ section...

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• The only memory I lost was which terminal went on which post of the battery (j/k). No, you don't lose any radio presets, or have any ecu issues when changing out a battery. I'm not sure how long the retained power is functioning, but it's long enough to change out the battery without any concerns. After 5 minutes without power, the ecu MAY relearn some of the driving "habits' and react a tad different for a few start/stop cycles, but most people would never notice it. Hope this helsp some

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• The only memory I lost was which terminal went on which post of the battery (j/k). No, you don't lose any radio presets, or have any ecu issues when changing out a battery. I'm not sure how long the retained power is functioning, but it's long enough to change out the battery without any concerns. After 5 minutes without power, the ecu MAY relearn some of the driving "habits' and react a tad different for a few start/stop cycles, but most people would never notice it. Hope this helsp some

Yes it did. Thanks fun!!!

• $1.49 at Autozone. Good stuff.
    Use everywhere around the battery/cable connection to prevent acid related corrosion that decreases battery life and saps power. Apply to battery terminals, cable ends, clamps, connectors, hold-downs, and more.

• Ensures max battery power
    • Prevents corrosion
    • Insulates battery posts and connections
    • Allows easy and clean replacement
  • also remember, when you take terminals off batt, you will most likely have codes popping up on dash...dont let it throw you, after a couple of starts,,it will go away. ECU needs time to re-set.....

• Folks, I am having a real problem finding a reply button for folks that comment to my post. I only get one reply button at the end. I like to respond to the person that comments and have it appear in line. I think I am missing something and not quite sure what. I want to respond to the person that comments and have others see my response. A lot of times I am giving additional information that may help others. I would like to see a reply button after each post or comment. This is to the administrators of the site.

• Folks, I am having a real problem finding a reply button for folks that comment to my post. I only get one reply button at the end. I like to respond to the person that comments and have it appear in line. I think I am missing something and not quite sure what. I want to respond to the person that comments and have others see my response. A lot of times I am giving additional information that may help others. I would like to see a reply button after each post or comment. This is to the administrators of the site.

There is a "Quote" option you can use. It's in the little menu bars to the right of their user name & avatar (4 dots & lines)... Select "quote" then Reply

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

I think the intent is to use the "quote" feature if you are trying to respond to a specific post.

Your informationis great. Thanks, and keep it up!

• Well, Sam: I did my battery maintenance today, and Glad I Did ! I tried to follow your instructions, but I got one backwards. I thought I was supposed to arc my wrench across both terminals, but when I saw the sparks, I remembered I was supposed to avoid that. Anyhow, I cleaned the corrosion off the + terminal, coated it with dielectric grease, & re-installed both cables. Then when I tried to re-mount the battery, I found the cables were too short.......or possibly I installed them in the incorrect orientation (wishing you were here,Sam)Starting over, I reoriented the cables, & forced the battery back into it's rack and buttoned her back up. One of my most exhilarating maintenance episodes !

Addendum for subsequent battery maintenance: Use a T35 bit for the cover fasteners. Use a 1/2" SAE wrench for the locking block & battery terminals. Call Sam for emergencies & fires. Also, pay attention as to the orientation of the battery cables, so they can be re-installed the same direction.

Hey @SLINGSHOOTER it was great meeting you on the highest point on the Blue Ridge Pkwy at the SSITS. Glad you checked your battery, and I did tell you not to short your wrench across the terminals.

• I think the intent is to use the "quote" feature if you are trying to respond to a specific post.
    Your informationis great. Thanks, and keep it up!

Wow, that took a couple of clicks, I think a good old reply button would be great for me. Thanks for you help @KayTwo I just missed that. Thanks for watching my video, I have some more coming.

• There is a "Quote" option you can use. It's in the little menu bars to the right of their user name & avatar (4 dots & lines)... Select "quote" then Reply

Thanks Tripod, it looks like all knew how to do it but me. Now I know, thanks.