¡Hola de España!

• Hey Slingshot Family!! First I apologize for my absence. Things have been very busy lately! I have completed my transfer to Spain. My plan was to be a geo-bachelor, live on the ship and walk, take a cab or bum a ride to wherever I might need to go. As soon as I arrived I realized that wasn't realistic... NOTHING is close to the ship. So I had to make a quick purchase and I am now the new owner of a 2008 Peugeot 207. It's a diesel fueled 1.6L (I think) turbo engine. The military folks stationed here affectionately refer to these vehicles as Rota Beaters. I have also taken and passed my test for my Spanish driver's license, which is good for driving anywhere in the EU.

I got to visit Castillo de Luna, a castle built in the 13th century. I had no idea how much there was to do here, and I don't just mean Rota, but all of Spain. Or hell even Europe!

I've only been here two weeks, but it has been pretty busy. All this said, I am really missing the family and my Slingshot family as well. I'll do my best to keep in touch with everyone here as best I can.

~TheRock

• Lucas,

Good to see you post up, shipmate. Not sure how much time you are getting off to go explore, given the OPTEMPO of those Rota ships. I know well how tough the job is over there and how busy they keep you. If you get the time, I highly recommend exploring the Mediterranean coast of France, especially to the west of Nice, and inland; the whole coast of Croatia, especially Rijeka and Split; and you gotta take one trip to Venice. Check out the glassblowers there, and eat the street food.

Sorry to hear that you are missing your family. That's the downside to this job, obviously. Hope they get a chance to come see you once in awhile. Don't worry about the rest of us... Just post up once in awhile and let us know that you're okay.

I'm a bit removed from the SURFLANT job I used to have in direct support of those ships over there, but if you are having a hard time getting hold of the right person, or getting traction on an urgent material issue, let me know and I will see if I can point you in the right direction. I still know a fair number of guys in the CNSL N43 shop.

Be safe over there, brother. Some of the folks to the east of you aren't real fond of the Americans, and you're right in their backyard. Keep a weather eye out from the tops'le, as it were.

Post pictures of the supercharger you stuff in the Peugeot, too! :thumbup: