SLINGSHOT DISCRIMINATION PLEASE HELP

• I used to give money to different charities when I was working and one year company gave out turkeys and they had 5 left over.
    So me living near charity said I would take them thanksgiving morning to this well known charity.
    Walked in and finally someone came and I said I had 5 turkeys to give for families.
    They looked at me and said what do you want me to do with them..
    Well I said you want food for families do you not and I said if you do not take them I will put them in trash.
    They told me to bring them in ..But it was not the response I wanted to hear.
    So today I do not give to any charity for all the bad things I hear about few cents on dollar going to said charities.
    And today with the country the way it is I think everyone is out for theirselves and do not trust any one.
    The way I really feel .

• First off this is not aimed at the OP, I believe in what you are doing and it is sad that the SlingShot was not allowed to participate in such a worthy endeavor, I would think that no vehicle would be excluded if they wanted to follow along. But, just to add a bit of humor and irony, it is so funny to experience the contradictions and hypocrisy where even right here on this forum so many SlingShot owners themselves insist that the SlingShot is not a motorcycle when it comes to donning a helmet, but will get all up in arms and fired up when others discriminate it as not being a motorcycle when it comes to cases such as this! :/:S

Bill

• I agree with @wjfyfe statement somewhat, But the SS in Colorado is classified as an Auto Cycle now and there is no helmet law here. I have participated the last 4 years in the SS. Now they say it is to big.

2 motorcycles (or trikes/spyders) side by side in a group ride take up more room on the road "width" wise provided the two riders can maintain the exact distance at all times (Not). 2 motorcycle riders in a group ride in a staggered column take up more room "length" wise also. There is no argument for Size or safety concerns and thats my point.

Assume the SS uses up 2 motorcycle slots in the ride, thats 6 SS = 12 motorcycles, its not much to ask.

I still have my "motorcycles" street and dirt, it is hard for me to think of the SS as a motorcycle but not a reverse trike as it is built.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this issue by e-mailing or leaving a message. I am still waiting on the news to do there thing and hopefully it will be solved without a story. Sorry to the folks who made the trip from Florida only to be turned away.

• Disclaimer: They SHOULD have let the SS participate.
    BUT...........Just because the SS is registered as a motorcycle in SOME states, doesn't make it one. It's a 3-wheel car! It has a 5-speed manual shift like an auto, roll bar, seat belts, and your passenger sits to your side, as well as being wider than a Corvette in front. All the other vehicles you mentioned being allowed had saddles for seats, passenger sitting to the rear, AND a motorcycle shift system. I'm just sayin! :>)

You do not really get it do you? It was for VETERANS to raise money, but if you were a VETERAN and showed up in a Slingshot, YOU DID NOT COUNT.

• The latest from the organizer.
    · Reply · 3d · EditedEd Gillespie Then why were Slingshots turned away? I have participated 10 years and the last 4 in the SLingshot, a reverse trike? A couple came from Florida only to be turned away. All of us as veterans were very disappointed in this decision.
    ManageLike · Reply · 2hJim Wear "All of us Veterans"? Exactly how many Veterans do you speak for Ed?
    ManageLike · Reply · 51m
    Write a reply...

Jim Wear Slingshots were NOT "Turned Away" from the rally. Everyone was welcomed. Due to the over-sized length and turning radius, we did not allow "Slingshots" OR V-8 trikes on the POW-MIA ride due to issues experienced in 2017 with the success of the lineup b…See More
    ManageLike · Reply · 1h · EditedJim Wear Additionally, V-8 Trikes and Slingshots will no longer be allowed to park on Bennett Avenue because they impeded the fire lane due to length. These decisions are based on public safety and logistics.
    ManageLike · Reply · 1hEd Gillespie Parking , but can they participate in the ride?
    ManageLike · Reply · 1hJim Wear As stated above: Due to the over-sized length and turning radius, we did not allow "Slingshots" OR V-8 trikes on the POW-MIA ride due to issues experienced in 2017 with the success of the lineup being affected in the newly re-done (and smaller) stagin…See More
    ManageLike · Reply · 1hJim Wear Question: If the length of a vehicle requires it to have a steering wheel rather than handlebars, it is a motorcycle or an automobile?
    The Slingshot is manufactured by Polaris Industries, which claims that "It's a three-wheeled motorcycle!" It has a tilt-adjustable steering wheel, side-by-side bucket seats, and does not lean. ... The steering wheel, gear stick, and brake, clutch, and throttle pedals have a conventional automobile layout.
    ManageLike · Reply · 1hEd Gillespie They are classified as an Autocycle now in colorado. A group ride with motorcycles/trikes/spyders riding side by side take up more room width wise on the road as they do riding in a stagered colum length wise provided the riders could maintain the sme distance at all times. The turning radius in a group ride for the Slingshot is not an issue also. I did ask 3 police officers on duty if they knew the reason why we were not allowed to participate, they did not. A Morgan 3 wheeler was also not allowed wich is an even smaller foot print than a trike or spyder. Is this an Autocycle issue because of a steering wheel? Who was the law enforcement official that made the decision, I would like to talk to them. The SS doesnt require additional logistical support, and for public safety it has all the safety features of any trike or reverse trike. We would be more than happy to be last in the recognition ride, not park on Bennett street, stage us last somewere close, we will do what is asked just to participate. There were only 6 Slingshots, 2 occupants each and all veterans, 2 were disabled veterans .One couple came from Florida to participate, my father 82 rode from Oregon also. There has to be away to continue to participate as we have done in the past and encourage more to participate for this great cause. I hope you reconsider this decision for next year and we can make something happen.
    ManageLike · Reply · 6m
    Write a reply...

Jim Wear The Slingshot does NOT require a motorcycle endorsement...so, is it really a Motorcycle?

• Anthony Micheal Jones
    · July 14 ·

Is the ride open to all style bikes or just crusiers?
    14 Comments

CommentShare
    Comments
    Jim Wear EVERYONE welcome!
    ManageLike · Reply · 4wMark Lockman Come one, come all!!
    It's not about what you ride, it's about the Veterans!

Ed Gillespie Then why were Slingshots turned away? I have participated 10 years and the last 4 in the SLingshot, a reverse trike? A couple came from Florida only to be turned away. All of us as veterans were very disappointed in this decision.
    ManageLike · Reply · 2hJim Wear "All of us Veterans"? Exactly how many Veterans do you speak for Ed?
    ManageLike · Reply · 1h
    Write a reply...

Jim Wear Slingshots were NOT "Turned Away" from the rally. Everyone was welcomed. Due to the over-sized length and turning radius, we did not allow "Slingshots" OR V-8 trikes on the POW-MIA ride due to issues experienced in 2017 with the success of the lineup being affected in the newly re-done (and smaller) staging parking lot. This was a decision made in concert with Law Enforcement. A "Slingshot" is actually more similar to a car than a bike where size is concerned. In fact, they are longer than many automobiles.
    ManageLike · Reply · 1h · EditedJim Wear Additionally, V-8 Trikes and Slingshots will no longer be allowed to park on Bennett Avenue because they impeded the fire lane due to length. These decisions are based on public safety and logistics.

· Reply · 1hEd Gillespie Parking , but can they participate in the ride?
    ManageLike · Reply · 1hJim Wear As stated above: Due to the over-sized length and turning radius, we did not allow "Slingshots" OR V-8 trikes on the POW-MIA ride due to issues experienced in 2017 with the success of the lineup being affected in the newly re-done (and smaller) staging parking lot. This was a decision made in concert with Law Enforcement. A "Slingshot" is actually more similar to a car than a bike where size is concerned. In fact, they are longer than many automobiles.
    ManageLike · Reply · 1hJim Wear Question: If the length of a vehicle requires it to have a steering wheel rather than handlebars, it is a motorcycle or an automobile?
    The Slingshot is manufactured by Polaris Industries, which claims that "It's a three-wheeled motorcycle!" It has a tilt-adjustable steering wheel, side-by-side bucket seats, and does not lean. ... The steering wheel, gear stick, and brake, clutch, and throttle pedals have a conventional automobile layout.
    ManageLike · Reply · 1hEd Gillespie They are classified as an Autocycle now in colorado. A group ride with motorcycles/trikes/spyders riding side by side take up more room width wise on the road as they do riding in a stagered colum length wise provided the riders could maintain the sme distance at all times. The turning radius in a group ride for the Slingshot is not an issue also. I did ask 3 police officers on duty if they knew the reason why we were not allowed to participate, they did not. A Morgan 3 wheeler was also not allowed wich is an even smaller foot print than a trike or spyder. Is this an Autocycle issue because of a steering wheel? Who was the law enforcement official that made the decision, I would like to talk to them. The SS doesnt require additional logistical support, and for public safety it has all the safety features of any trike or reverse trike. We would be more than happy to be last in the recognition ride, not park on Bennett street, stage us last somewere close, we will do what is asked just to participate. There were only 6 Slingshots, 2 occupants each and all veterans, 2 were disabled veterans .One couple came from Florida to participate, my father 82 rode from Oregon also. There has to be away to continue to participate as we have done in the past and encourage more to participate for this great cause. I hope you reconsider this decision for next year and we can make something happen.

• Jim Wear The turning radius DOES matter when staging in a small parking lot. Sorry.
    ManageLike · Reply · 24mEd Gillespie So its the turning radius? Nothing else? I guess we can take the sorry as a no. Very, Very dissapointing.
    ManageLike · Reply · 18mEd Gillespie Please post on the Website for next year that they will not be allowed to participate in the ride so people don't travel long distance to be denied this opportunity. Thanks
    ManageLike · Reply · 14mJim Wear The RIDE is a very small (45 minute) part of the 3 day Rally and NO ONE is denying you or anyone else the privilege of participating in this event.
    ManageLike · Reply · 6mEd Gillespie Yes I have been denied to participate in the POW/MIA recognition ride based on the Autocycle I am in. I just dont understand the past 4 years I have been in it with the Slingshot with no safety, width, lenght, or turning issues thats all.

• Jim Wear The RIDE is a very small (45 minute) part of the 3 day Rally and NO ONE is denying you or anyone else the privilege of participating in this event.
    ManageLike · Reply · 1hEd Gillespie Yes I have been denied to participate in the POW/MIA recognition ride based on the Autocycle I am in. I just dont understand the past 4 years I have been in it with the Slingshot with no safety, width, lenght, or turning issues thats all.
    ManageLike · Reply · 1hJim Wear Ed Gillespie you may have Not had any issues, but our volunteer staff who operates the ride has. This is been an ongoing issue and the decision was not made lightly. There are automobiles that are smaller than your slingshot, so shall we allow them on the ride as well?
    ManageLike · Reply · 1h · EditedEd Gillespie No sir, Autos have 4 wheels and weight over 1700lbs. This is the only way polaris was able to not make the Slingshot a car and have to add airbags, safety glass and all that other stuff. They have some good laywers and designers to be able to pull it off. All others such as the T-rex, Vanderbuilt, Morgan, VW, and even porche have reverse trikes but none have succeeded in mass because of the 50-60K starting price. Polaris cannot exceed the 1700lb limit in production. I have been riding motorcycles for 35+ years and still do, dirt and street. It is not a motorcycle I totally agree, but it is a reverse trike and meets the national standard for auto cycle. 3 wheels and not over 1700lb.

• At this point, since they/he has stated safety reasons, you are pretty much

It's a three day event for a good cause to raise funds, awareness, and help those who gave dearly.
    And although the ride is only a 45 minute portion of the event... I believe if they were to drop the ride due to safety concerns, it would seriously hamper their efforts in turnout and funds.

So, this event is over and no changing what occurred. Time to think about next year.

Step forward and offer up a suggestion or a proposal, to which ever you can commit.

A separate group ride up for the Slingshots, Morgans, V8 Trikes, VW Trikes; etc. Different departure time, route. They may not be able to split resources, but may be able to plan parking, a route, and provide a ride leader.

May be a lot of folks not riding this event because they don't consider their machine to be a true motorcycle though tagged as such. Trike show and ride? Who knows, might open up a whole new concept to the event.

Slingshot Flyer! Well, of course it's red... :REDSS:

• This year is over and my solution to the rally chairman was FIRE THE Double Douche promoter! When the Slingshot was sold in 2015 you did have to have a motorcycle endorsement on the good old Colorado license. This DD and his excuses are just like a Asshole everybody has one.
    He probably isn’t even a vet himself.

• Here is what I left it at, takes to much time and energy. Wont be attending this event anymore. Oh @Travis he (Jim) has never served, you are correct.

Ed Gillespie I honestly have known why the Slingshots were not allowed (denied) to participate in the Recognition ride, I was just hoping it was something else. It is not Length, Width, Safety, Logistics, or Turning radius. It is a perception/opinion/stereotype from a majority group that decides a specific appearance does not fit the image it is trying to perceive. "Its not a real motorcycle" " they don't know how to ride a bike" "your cheating" "posers" and so on. Kind of like the attitudes when the Spyder first appeared. Its to bad that opinions cant be put aside for a few veterans to contribute and participate in this ride. If you do have some Slingshots show up next year it will be by accident and I hope they didn't travel to far. Please post no Slingshots or V8 trikes allowed in the ride on the Web Site to avoid this issue. Its not about being a 20+ year Army disabled Vet anymore, its what you show up in.
    ManageLike · Reply · 1hJim Wear Sir, you have not heard a word I have said here and no matter how I try and explain, you continue to create your own scenario.
    ManageLike · Reply · 1hEd Gillespie Then we agree to disagree, I would like to leave it at that. Hope next year raises a lot of money for our Vets.

• I remember when the first Spyder's came out...They had an identity crisis which still lingers on today...
    The Spyder's forums were full of , Nobody waves to me boo-hoo, No one thinks its a Motorcycle boo-hoo.. And guess what it isn't.. Its a reverse Trike....Now the S/S Goes two steps further, Its not a Bike Its not a Trike....The states [Feds] should get together and register them as some do, ''Auto-Car''...And not a motorcycle ....
    I had a Spyder [08] And two Tri-Glides And the one bike rally /get together that i went to over the years i would always try to find a wide space at the end of the lot to park...Will i take my S/S there no way, it just won't fit , size wise and aesthetically...I donate money to a few Veteran charities but buy mail...
    But thats just me....[Nam 66]

Some times a Cigar is just a Cigar.......

• this weekend was local car /truck/motorcycle show more antiques when started in Riverside 1996, now new Mustang/Corvettes etc. show up.
    Saw last year a stock SS there and just looks out of place.
    I will not take my custom SS or Vanderahll to this show.
    But driving to it and block away with SS or Vanderhall I get lots of finger pointing and smiles and parking people asking questions.
    But to me people who put lots of work into a antique or older customs deserve the shows attention more than a new Mustang/Corvette
    who at times come away with trophies for how clean or chrome ..
    I just do not agree with that logic ..
    Even when I take SS to a show and over one year of fiberglas work and people who put lights and speakers on a SS take best of show.
    Our times are changing and people who do most work are being left out for the look at me movement with most glitter..