143.45 mph in Indy. Now on to Ocala....

• Unlike @oneshot, or @rabtech or @DDMworks Or @Kyle D I'm not gonna try to get over 400hp out of the lawn mower... but we have been busy with the glass work and the chassis... so you might see a few things looking a little different on the ol Honda Sling in October! Areodynamics can always overcome air in a pinch!

reading what has been said in this thread and others I do believe that if big gains are going to be made over where people are now that it is more likely to come from changes to the aerodynamics of the Slingshot than it is from just adding more brute power

It will be very interesting to see what you and others come up with in this regard

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• The biggest pickup in MPH will come from traction. It is always the downfall of the Slingshot. HP can conquer aerodynamics as shown in the yourtube video with Leroy as an example. The priority list in my book is below...

• Traction
    • Power
    • Gearing / Aero

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• The biggest pickup in MPH will come from traction. It is always the downfall of the Slingshot. HP can conquer aerodynamics as shown in the yourtube video with Leroy as an example. The priority list in my book is below...

• Traction
    • Power
    • Gearing / Aero

I just hope that when people are going for these records and making whatever mods they make to get there that we keep line drawn at some point where we are still dealing with a Slingshot.

if people want to go crazy and run with quad setups and / or completely different body panels I think it is great, but I would like to see them in an unlimited class or modified class so that we know this is not the three wheel thing we normally think about when we are talking about the slingshot

• What do you mean?!? This subject should have been settled forever ago. A stock Slingshot will go as fast as 4th gear allows. Many people have done this many times. 4th gear ends right around 135mph. If you are heading down a mountain, you can pick up some more speed in 5th gear. But should that really count?!

On a different note. Below is a good video of another aerodynamically challenged vehicle. Some of the findings here in the wind tunnel may shed some light on where the Slingshot may have issues on cutting through the wind.

$500 for 2 hours of tunnel time.....what are you Carolina kids waiting for

• $500 for 2 hours of tunnel time.....what are you Carolina kids waiting for

thats a good question - 2 hours of wind tunnel time could decide who ends up with the fastest 1/2 next time around

• Traction
    • Power
    • Gearing / Aero

Will agree but traction can be gained through the correct application of downforce and aerodynamics. Because I'm styling NA for some time I'll need to net top end speed and better track times looking into these areas. Who knows, that work may pay off for others down the road. For me its just getting the brick through the air better.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• 132mph is the fastest I’ve ever gotten out of “Old Betsy” ~> and she was struggling to keep that speed! Not to mention (although I’ve tried many times), I never could get over 130 on flat land... only down long/steep mountain roads could I ever get the right momentum.

That said, I had a nice call with Dave today... and well... the extra goodies we’re going to add, should help out with this problem! GAME ON :evil:

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• Okay... Just saying... How big is Kyle and what if he was driving Rab's Sling? Shaving a few extra oreos?? :P

:00008172:

I've been wondering if either @rabtech or @Kyle D has had the opportunity to run it out to see what the actual top speed might be. There were claims over on TDS of 185 which pretty much everyone called BS on, even though the guy stuck to his guns on his claim. It seems y'all might be able to hit something like that without the half mile limitation...

@Kyle D and @rabtech, So just some food for thought. I've been contemplating removing the front fenders altogether and leaving just the hood (haven't gotten the nerve to cut off the fender subframe plus I need to find a good source for a bit of fiberglass work up front).... have either of you tried running without them, even just taking them off and leaving the subframe ? I wonder if that might settle things down a bit (less drag) and give you a bit more speed at top end.

@MiM I'm 5'11 190lbs

@SlingLow The fastest I've gone on pavement is 141. I went 160 on our dyno but you can't count that being it's not a real world test. There's no head wind to deal with. @rabtech and I were both still in 4th when we broke 140. I have the ability to run mine out to 8000-9000RPMs so I am guessing if distance was not a factor and winds were favorable, like none, we could easily see over 150 in 4th running it out that far assuming you've built the engine to spin that high.

@jorgebri60 Rabtech ran without the front bumper or any of the skins on his hood on Sunday. He said he wasn't sure if it made a difference or not. I tried taping some things off and I do not feel that made a difference. We both continued to run about the same speeds as before until we kept dialing the boost up. I took the "mud flaps" off and I did not gain any MPH but the front end did get a lot more stable. I took off the hood today and only reattached the center section. Side bar, Thanks to @Painter for the ridiculously amazing video series on removing all that. It was a total pain in the ass but I did it without breaking any tabs off. I have another 1/2mi coming up soon and I want to see if doing this helps reduce more front end lift. I know it will not net me any speed but I have the power I need. I just need to make the Sling more stable above 130.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Will agree but traction can be gained through the correct application of downforce and aerodynamics. Because I'm styling NA for some time I'll need to net top end speed and better track times looking into these areas. Who knows, that work may pay off for others down the road. For me its just getting the brick through the air better.

I know of a track date coming up where you can test such ideas

The more people I meet

The more I love my Dog!

• I know of a track date coming up where you can test such ideas

I know... Right.....

One example.... The front splitters, depending on how they are mounted, may be producing unintentional lift due to the shape of the lower front wings on the SS. They tend to have a slight upward tilt.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• @Kyle D don,t you guys ever rest lol in that lighting with the new roll bar and what not it almost takes the shape of an Ariel Atom !

No rest for the wicked. I slept on Sunday night once I was home and 645 Monday morning at the shop back at it. Ocala is right around the corner and there's no time to procrastinate.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• One example.... The front splitters, depending on how they are mounted, may be producing unintentional lift due to the shape of the lower front wings on the SS. They tend to have a slight upward tilt.

I wonder if anyone with the Voodoo front end has definitively seen a difference in perceived downforce in the front end, with those splitters gone? @jorgebri60, @mytoy?

• I wish Polaris would acknowledge our work in getting the slingshot to such high speeds (on a legitimate race track.) I can understand them not wanting to acknowledge illegal street runs.

If they would give me a couple of final drives and a couple of belts I would really get into the gas at a drag strip. Heck I would even run over to the plant and pick them up. If somebody reading this has a connection with Polaris let them know I'm ready to really push the slingshot. I have reached my personal spending limit for a little while.

• I wish Polaris would acknowledge our work in getting the slingshot to such high speeds (on a legitimate race track.) I can understand them not wanting to acknowledge illegal street runs.

If they would give me a couple of final drives and a couple of belts I would really get into the gas at a drag strip. Heck I would even run over to the plant and pick them up. If somebody reading this has a connection with Polaris let them know I'm ready to really push the slingshot. I have reached my personal spending limit for a little while.

Polaris called ..... they want to know, have you had your recalls done?

jk - peddle down Panda Man, we appreciate the hard work you've done

@BamaPlant?