New law eliminates Model S in Canada?

• I asked my local Canadian dealer why the 2019 base Model S isn't available in Canada, because it was available in previous years. His answer surprised me. He said it's because backup cameras are required and the Model S has no backup camera (no entertainment system = no screen).

I've done a little digging and a backup camera law also came into effect in the US at the same time (the Canadians pretty much copy the US to match a lot of the regulations across the border).

So why is the Model S still available in the US and not in Canada?

I believe it's because the federal government in Canada classifies the SlingShot as a "three wheel vehicle (TWV)" and a backup camera is now mandatory on all vehicles built after May 1 2018 weighing under 10,000 pounds.

In the US I believe the federal government still classifies the SlingShot as a motorcycle, so it escapes the law.

It's pretty frustrating to be denied the choice in Canada. :cursing:

• Well, I am not sure how it works in the motorcycle world but in the car world the new car sales mgr loves cheap models ins some ways.

One - can advertise sling for 20,000 to get folks in door. The biggest step in selling something with a motor is of course getting a person to the dealership and more important..a test drive.
    two - car dealers get most profit from kick backs from the manufacturer. Meaning, if they sell X number of slingshots this month bonus check of Y. Also, the more they sell the dealer cost of the slingshot might be less. Meaning, dealer A sold 100 slingshot last year so he is paying 24,000 for an SL. However, dealer B sold 500 slingshot so his cost for an SL is 22,000.

three - the best selling is always the cheapest. The best selling merc is the CLA. Now, you are correct the base S has the smallest profit margin - but add real world and I say it sells other models in the long run so I would want it if I was the sales mgr.

On a personal note the govt should get out of the business of telling us and companies what they must do. There was no limit on getting a camera if you wanted one.

• I found this one definition of a motorcycle in Canada:

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/handbook/motorcycles/index.shtml

I. Motorcycles
    The Ontario Highway Traffic Act (HTA) defines a motorcycle as a self-propelled vehicle with a seat or saddle for the driver, designed to travel with not more than three wheels in contact with the ground.

Three-wheeled motorcycles are commonly referred to as motor tri­cycles. A three-wheeled motorcycle may have either two front wheels or two rear wheels, or may be a two-wheeled motorcycle with a sidecar.

Motor tricycles manufactured to comply with the HTA’s motorcycle definition can be registered to drive on Ontario’s public roads only if they:

• Have seating on which all occupants must sit astride
    • Do not have more than four designated seating positions
    • Do not have a gross vehicle weight rating of greater than 1,000 kilograms
    • Do not have a structure partially or fully enclosing the driver and passenger, other than that part of the vehicle forward of the driver’s torso and the seat backrest

Vehicles commonly referred to as motor scooters are considered motorcycles. Depending on the characteristics of the vehicle, a motor scooter may be considered a limited-speed motorcycle.

Motorcycles must be registered with the Ministry of Transportation and have a valid motorcycle licence plate attached in order to be driven on public roads in Ontario.

Note: In this handbook, unless stated otherwise, the term “motorcycle” includes motor tricycles and limited- speed motorcycles.

Bill

• Can you buy in the U.S. and install the camera before registering in Canada?

Yes, I believe that would be an option. It would require some kind of inspection and approval before being registered.

I found this one definition of a motorcycle in Canada

As in the US, each state/province has their own regulations and may treat the SlingShot differently (eg. as a car or autocycle or motorcycle) and there is quite a variation. But this new federal law prevents the Model S from being imported/sold in Canada in the first place, so the provincial regulations are irrelevant.

• Just another example of how fortunate we have been here in the US where the SlingShot has been allowed to be considered a motorcycle with the freedoms that come with not being regulated as an automobile, hopefully the owners that keep trying to change this comes to their senses before it becomes too late?

Bill

• Can you buy in the U.S. and install the camera before registering in Canada?

This gets problematic. Before importing a vehicle into Canada, it has to meet Canadian standards unless it is more than 15 years old. This means that all Canadian modifications would have to be done prior to import and inspection. We have different lights, a seat bell chime, and likely a few other requiements other than the back up camera. I am willing to bet that the cost of all this would be greater than the price of the SL upgrade.

• This gets problematic. Before importing a vehicle into Canada, it has to meet Canadian standards unless it is more than 15 years old. This means that all Canadian modifications would have to be done prior to import and inspection. We have different lights, a seat bell chime, and likely a few other requiements other than the back up camera. I am willing to bet that the cost of all this would be greater than the price of the SL upgrade.

You guys need to over throw your government so you can have some fun.

• You guys need to over throw your government so you can have some fun.

The US has some similar rules. When Nancy and I married we moved her from Vancouver to San Jose. The lovely, benevolent Republic of Commieformia declared that her Ford Topaz was a “gray market@ vehicle and would have to be brought into compliance with Commieformia emissions standards. That would have cost us over $20,000. Broke her heart to take it back to Canada and sell it.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• The US has some similar rules. When Nancy and I married we moved her from Vancouver to San Jose. The lovely, benevolent Republic of Commieformia declared that her Ford Topaz was a “gray market@ vehicle and would have to be brought into compliance with Commieformia emissions standards. That would have cost us over $20,000. Broke her heart to take it back to Canada and sell it.

Yep - its close to impossible to bring and out of country vehicle into California, heck for new cars if it is not a California certified car its even hard to bring one in from out of state

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• The US has some similar rules. When Nancy and I married we moved her from Vancouver to San Jose. The lovely, benevolent Republic of Commieformia declared that her Ford Topaz was a “gray market@ vehicle and would have to be brought into compliance with Commieformia emissions standards. That would have cost us over $20,000. Broke her heart to take it back to Canada and sell it.

Yep - its close to impossible to bring and out of country vehicle into California, heck for new cars if it is not a California certified car its even hard to bring one in from out of state

You who live in commiefornia should move... I just sold it to China for $20.00 and they have 30 days to move it to over there.

• You who live in commiefornia should move... I just sold it to China for $20.00 and they have 30 days to move it to over there.

China would probably do a much better job of running it that the people currently in charge

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• someone in Ontario tried to import but was told no. Think it's because of the centre lights. You would have to remove them and install canadian conversion. Probably easier for them just to deny it

• Number 4 bullet sounds like you can not install a roof...that would be enclosing the driver and passenger.