Noise coming from rear, need help

• Ok have a weird noise coming from rear tire area, been to 2 dealers, first one said belt was too tight and adjusted it, didn't help, two weeks later take to another dealer and they find bolt loose,so they readjust belt, I'm hoping that's the problem....... nope. I don't know who to turn to, about ready to sell, this noise is driving me crazy.

This is bolt left loose, and trying to upload video of noise but won't let me. Could use some help posting video

Hopefully here's a link to the video,

• Ok have a weird noise coming from rear tire area, been to 2 dealers, first one sad belt was too tight and adjusted it, didn't help, two weeks later take to another dealer and they find bolt loose,so they readjust belt, I'm hoping that's the problem....... nope. I don't know who to turn to, about ready to sell, this noise is driving me crazy.
    This is bolt left loose, and trying to upload video of noise but won't let me. Could use some help posting video

load video to YouTube first then copy link

• Ok have a weird noise coming from rear tire area, been to 2 dealers, first one sad belt was too tight and adjusted it, didn't help, two weeks later take to another dealer and they find bolt loose,so they readjust belt, I'm hoping that's the problem....... nope. I don't know who to turn to, about ready to sell, this noise is driving me crazy.

Just something to try if you think it is the belt. Soap and water and a wire brush and clean the belt may help.

• ViOk have a weird noise coming from rear tire area, been to 2 dealers, first one sad belt was too tight and adjusted it, didn't help, two weeks later take to another dealer and they find bolt loose,so they readjust belt, I'm hoping that's the problem....... nope. I don't know who to turn to, about ready to sell, this noise is driving me crazy.

load video to YouTube first then copy link

video posted, what you all think

• Ok have a weird noise coming from rear tire area, been to 2 dealers, first one sad belt was too tight and adjusted it, didn't help, two weeks later take to another dealer and they find bolt loose,so they readjust belt, I'm hoping that's the problem....... nope. I don't know who to turn to, about ready to sell, this noise is driving me crazy...

Is your Slingshot still under warranty? I hope I'm wrong, but I wonder if that noise might be associated with a bad rear axle bearing. That's the first thought that came to mind, but it doesn't sound the same as some of the Slingshot rear axle bearing noise videos on YouTube.
    The other noise that comes to mind is noise from the parking brake unit. IIRC, if the spring gets shifted out of its normal position, it can make a similar noise. (polaris slingshot rear axle bearing noise - YouTube)

• Yes it's still under warranty, but these dealers don't act like they know what the heck is going on, it's sad. That's what I thought it was is rear hub bearing. They keep saying it's the belt, so I told them today to replace the belt, then we would know!

• Yes it's still under warranty, but these dealers don't act like they know what the heck is going on, it's sad. That's what I thought it was is rear hub bearing. They keep saying it's the belt, so I told them today to replace the belt, then we would know!

Safest and cheapest approach since warranty pays for it. :D
    I haven't really heard about that many rear axle bearing failures since Polaris had the swing-arm recall back in 2017 (I think).
    Just remember to keep your drive belt clean and free of debris and hopefully everything wil get sorted out.
    Good Luck.

• I would put the rear end up on 2 jack stands, then use the floor jack to raise/lower the rear of the swing arm while rotating the rear tire. You can then tell exactly where the sound is originating from. If it is belt related, the sound should change considerably while rotating the tire and raising/lowering the jack. (This changes the belt tension as the swing arm goes up or down)
    You can also get up close and personal while rotating the tire to get a better idea where the sound is actually coming from. If it's bearing related, brake caliper related, or something to do with the emergency brake, you'll be able to pinpoint it.
    I've used a small block of wood between the floor jack and bottom of the swing arm (between rear belt pulley and caliper) to easily raise/lower the rear tire and swing arm. What I thought was bad bearings, turned out to be a dirty belt.

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• @busatodd, watched the video again and it does sound like it's in the rear end and not the angle drive. I believe @roadog1aj is right about how to check it. Also, if the sound doesn't exist without pressure on the wheel (on the ground) than it is a strong indication the axle bearing is bad or possible not straight. My first SS had a bad axle bearing with a similar sound. Very. Good tech at my dealership and he figured it out right away. Polaris pushed back but he insisted that was the problem. They sent a new axle and bearing and problem was fixed.

• @busatodd, watched the video again and it does sound like it's in the rear end and not the angle drive. I believe @roadog1aj is right about how to check it. Also, if the sound doesn't exist without pressure on the wheel (on the ground) than it is a strong indication the axle bearing is bad or possible not straight. My first SS had a bad axle bearing with a similar sound. Very. Good tech at my dealership and he figured it out right away. Polaris pushed back but he insisted that was the problem. They sent a new axle and bearing and problem was fixed.

That is why I bought a spare set of bearings to carry when I am out of town, otherwise you will have to wait on Polaris to send a set and that could take weeks.

• While it's running in gear (make sure the front wheels are chocked and there's someone inside the slingshot) spray some water onto the belt. It won't harm the belt at all, but the noise will change or go away completely for a few seconds. If so, you need to clean the belt with soap and water and a brush to remove any dirt and rubber particles that are embedded into the rubber. Strange that your Polaris dealer is going to try to get a belt replaced under warranty when they have no proof of it being a problem. My guess is that Polaris will deny the claim

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• @funinthesun is correct about chocking the front wheels before lifting the rear of the Slingshot. W/o blocking the front wheels, there'll be nothing to keep the Slingshot stationary once you lift the rear.
    Personally, I always place the front end on jack-stands first and then do the rear. While I can use the parking brake to hold the Slingshot while lifting the front, I still also use wheel chocks to immobilize the rear wheel. Better safe, than sorry. It's not that much more effort to place 4 jackstands and it will give you easier access to anything you need to do underneath.

• Ok have a weird noise coming from rear tire area, been to 2 dealers, first one said belt was too tight and adjusted it, didn't help, two weeks later take to another dealer and they find bolt loose,so they readjust belt, I'm hoping that's the problem....... nope. I don't know who to turn to, about ready to sell, this noise is driving me crazy.

Hopefully here's a link to the video,

That sounds like something is rubbing up against something else. It's definitely not a warped rotor. It doesn't sound like a bearing either. Is the belt rubbing up against something? Also interesting that it squeaks right as the white hash mark on the hub screw goes to center with the rear wheel well.

• That sounds like something is rubbing up against something else. It's definitely not a warped rotor. It doesn't sound like a bearing either. Is the belt rubbing up against something? Also interesting that it squeaks right as the white hash mark on the hub screw goes to center with the rear wheel well.

Bearings