Slingdrop Build - Bullet Quad Kit - DDM Turbo

• Dave, I'm curious about something. I understand why there is a difference in the lateral weight on the front wheels, but why the difference on the rear wheels? Is that part of the loading from the front, or is there something on the back end that is also setting the weight off from side to side?

LR due to battery location and upgraded to group 35 maybe?

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• LR due to battery location and upgraded to group 35 maybe?

good point - a full size battery could easily weigh as much as 50 pounds - - also getting rid of the angle drive probably took some of the weight off the passenger side

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Dave, I'm curious about something. I understand why there is a difference in the lateral weight on the front wheels, but why the difference on the rear wheels? Is that part of the loading from the front, or is there something on the back end that is also setting the weight off from side to side?

I am not entirely sure, but there are several things that can cause the weight difference. You can "wedge" the weight around by playing with the spring preload on the shocks since it is a 4 wheel vehicle now, then there is actually the weight of the components also (the battery on the drive side in this case, etc.). We have not the suspension setup at all and do not know if it is something we can balance out, if this is how they usually ship, etc. We were just curious what it would scale like, total weights, etc. Once we get done with installing our turbo, if we have some extra time, we would like to play with the setup to see if we can improve the balance, but I am heading out on Thursday and will be gone until September 4th, so we have to make sure the turbo install and all the other goodies he is getting are taken care of first before we play with the other stuff ;)

Does the fuel load sit more to that side?

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Good news and bad news, after speaking with Dave this morning we decided to give it a few more days (after Dave gets back from his upcoming trip) to make sure my build is exactly the way we want it. We have something very cool planned for the exhaust, we want to get the weight balance right and we really want to set this thing up to be what it was built to be and that is fast from red light to red light. Thank you @Dave@DDMWorks for taking care of me. I really do appreciate it.

• So what happened? this thread seems to have died but inquiring minds want to know whats going on with this

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Everything has come along very nicely, we did the final test drive on it this morning and just have a couple small things to put on it tomorrow and it is ready for pickup. The alignment and corner weighting on the 4 wheel really made a nice difference on the way it drives, with the new power this is really a fun little cruise missile to shoot down some country roads. Here are some pictures of how the engine came out, I know we have some more coming once the owner @SlingDrop gets to see it first.

• While I’m totally blown away with this and it’s even in my color and has just about everything I’d want .its a total work of art ,& man is live in that thing if it was mine lol.. congratulations of a wonderful machine...go blow away the dealers mind ..don’t for get to come to Texas to give me a ride lol..

,my only concern and something I just wouldn’t feel comfortable with ,and I have to ask why ? As I’ve had issues with other vehicles before..
    Is why relocate the air filter to the lowest part of the vehicle ,& even more so close to the tire ? And the heat of the exhaust ?.
    We all know it happens.rain flooding and sometimes water lines we just can’t help to go through ...
    I know it can’t be measured on a DYNO,but that forced(ram air) induction you naturally get which helps cool the air more at speed ,and with the filter being so close to the headers in traffic and low speed it seems that the heat build will hurt its performance especially in the summer ,& I know yes it’s got a CAC...
    Or am I just pointing out the obvious because the ram air hasn’t been reinstalled yet ?

Man that’s a sexy Machine ...great job..

• It is a very pretty machine, runs great and looking forward to him getting to drive it finally!

I hope I can answer all your questions about the air intake setup, as it seems there are several people that have the same question.

The first question that we seem to get is about the water and the low position of the fitler. In order for the filter to ingest water, you would need to be in standing water about 14" deep, since 12" of water will float most cars, if you get to the point that you are getting water into the air filter, you are most likely floating already with the Slingshot. The pocket that the air filter sits in is still protected really well from the water spray coming up from the tires while driving. While driving with a normal setup, you do get rain coming off the front nose between the center headlights that also gets to the air filter.

The second question about heat management and idle. While idling in traffic, the underside of the hood gets hottest since heat rises naturally. Most intakes sit really high in the engine bay and will see higher intake temps than the lower position of our filter setup. The forced (ram air) from the location of most intakes is netting well less than 1" of water pressure, as a reference most air filters are around 1" of water pressure, so that "ram effect" is actually not that high. The pressure build if everything is really very well sealed off is less than the difference of running with a filter or not and most of the boxes we have seen here around the filter do not seal to the hood very well, since the underside of the hood has all that bracing. With our intake setup actually, since the wheel well area is high pressure, that air is forced through the opening right next to our filter and that keeps it constantly fed with cool air while driving. The other nice thing about the filter being right on the turbo and low is our intake restriction is very low, since we do not have the normal bends that most systems are using also. We have been using that same location for a couple years with the supercharger kits and it has proven to be a great location for cool air while driving, lower temps while at idle and a very short, less restrictive intake for the supercharger and turbo kits.

Anyway, hope that answers some questions about it and let us know if there is anything else we can answer for you,
    Dave

• Thks ...
    Would you guys use a GM rear end to keep the abs and stability control ?

If the SS HAS THE FACTORY upgraded shocks .are they useable for the rear shocks ? Then only needing one more..

Also being crippled I’ve thought of different ways to bring my wheelchair with me..

One would be a tow hitch ? And a trailer ..
    The other would be a tow hitch and then just some sort of carrier it could just sit on and be strapped down ..
    Sort of like a Bicycle carrier that connects to a tow hitch..
    Is that a option you could build ,a hitch and maybe even design a chair holder as it folds flat..

Also would you be ok with making changes to the frame rails that run along the side of the seats ,so it is lower than the seat so I can transfer into it .then maybe have a safety bar that locks in place like a roll cage does ..
    I was also thinking about finding away to make that piece of side body work that runs along the seat to be removed & redesigned to allow transferring.or to put it on a hinge so it swings out to allow me to get in ? ..
    I figured if it’s being torn apart for a automatic and a turbo might as well do it all together..
    Sorry i didn’t mean to jack the thread..

• So, I picked up the slingshot, then I drove it 900 miles home. I spent some time in Deals Gap and man, I am just blown away. The @Dave@DDMWorks new turbo kit is pretty amazing. It spools fast and the sounds it makes... Just wow! The welter rear exit exhaust is great too. It really sounds mean. The quad kit hooks like crazy and in the Twisties it's on rails. It stays level in the turns and I didn't have the guts to find it's limits. This machine has exceeded my expectations. Dave nailed the exhaust placement as well. Super happy with this build. I'm gonna need a new clutch.