What the heck?

    This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

    • What the heck?

      I've read countless posts here where most of you testify a gain in your miles per gallon when putting on the headers and exhaust. I've installed the 1320 header and the Welter Dual and I've lost 3 miles per gallon! Granted, that first tank or two was abused because of the new toys and a heavy foot, but I've since started driving like a human again. I reset the MPG gage once the new was gone and I've lost 3 miles per gallon when compared to stock manifold/exhaust. I'm planning on a tune shortly, will that bring it back or will it hurt further?
      :SLRSS: :COLDAIRSS: :HEADERSS: :MOTOROILSS: :OILFILTERSS:
    • It's a dumb question but is MPG important to you?

      Have you ever compared your speedometer to a GPS unit? Are you accurate at 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70 MPH?

      Have you calculated MPG by hand? Does it match the gauge?

      I remember lots of posts about the extra HP feel (butt dyno) but I guess I don't remember a lot saying they were getting better MPG
    • Ross wrote:

      It's a dumb question but is MPG important to you?

      Have you ever compared your speedometer to a GPS unit? Are you accurate at 30, 40, 50, 60, and 70 MPH?

      Have you calculated MPG by hand? Does it match the gauge?

      I remember lots of posts about the extra HP feel (butt dyno) but I guess I don't remember a lot saying they were getting better MPG
      No, not that it's important, I just found it strange that some claim that it helped their MPG while mine went down. Speedo is pretty accurate with the GPS. I'd much rather that the extra kick that the MPG anyway. I just know that with certain trips that we frequently make, I'll lose about 30 miles on the tank which puts me in the middle of nowhere on a turnpike. Guess I'll just have to top it off before getting on! LOL
      :SLRSS: :COLDAIRSS: :HEADERSS: :MOTOROILSS: :OILFILTERSS:
    • Cowboy wrote:

      No, not that it's important, I just found it strange that some claim that it helped their MPG while mine went down. Speedo is pretty accurate with the GPS. I'd much rather that the extra kick that the MPG anyway. I just know that with certain trips that we frequently make, I'll lose about 30 miles on the tank which puts me in the middle of nowhere on a turnpike. Guess I'll just have to top it off before getting on! LOL
      On our recent trip to Canada the three of us had different results when using the gauges and even at the pump.

      With different tire setups, tunes, CAI, exhaust, and suspension adjustments it is difficult to trust the computer.

      Try tracking it by hand for a couple three tanks and let us know
    • I can tell you that those particular upgrades took me from 29 mpg to 22-23 mpg - after my break in period. When I left town to meet up with @Ross and those other yahoos I went back up to 29 or so. Then I followed them through Montana at 85+ and went back down to 24/25 mpg. To tell the truth, I kind of like the 22 in town. Kick it like a rented mule!
      It's a hybrid - it burns gas AND rubber!
    • I’m also begining to think they are messing with the gasoline formulations or watering it down....something changed in the last two months.

      Losing 3-4 mpg over night just isn’t normal.... I am noticing a lot of big name gas stations get deliveries from no name haulers instead of the company trucks....what’s that all about?

      Shouldn’t Sunoco stations be getting deliveries from Sunoco marked haulers?
    • @Guardian_Angel has noticed an average 3 mpg drop in her Veloster over the past month.

      Other than the normal oil change and the addition of a suspension upgrade package...
      Nothing that would have caused that to happen.

      Yep, gonna have to quit reading out loud.

      Feed the Conspiracy!
      Let me stop everything and Work on Your Problem!
    • MiM wrote:

      @FunCycle has claimed increase... Not sure who else...
      With the CAI and the cat delete I increased 4 mpg, this is with the pencil and a couple of 1,500 trip mile averages 34mpg. Then I did Bob's tune and the Welter Dual install at the same time in Maggie and dropped 4 mpg on the 1,500 mile trip average down to 30 mpg. Everyone else was getting about a 4 mpg increase with Bob's tune, even Bob does not know what is going on. The only think that we can figure is it has something to do with the exhaust.

      The post was edited 1 time, last by FunCycle ().

    • Ross wrote:

      Cowboy wrote:

      No, not that it's important, I just found it strange that some claim that it helped their MPG while mine went down. Speedo is pretty accurate with the GPS. I'd much rather that the extra kick that the MPG anyway. I just know that with certain trips that we frequently make, I'll lose about 30 miles on the tank which puts me in the middle of nowhere on a turnpike. Guess I'll just have to top it off before getting on! LOL
      On our recent trip to Canada the three of us had different results when using the gauges and even at the pump.
      With different tire setups, tunes, CAI, exhaust, and suspension adjustments it is difficult to trust the computer.

      Try tracking it by hand for a couple three tanks and let us know
      Heh @Ross that would have been so easy to compare on a long group ride on a trip like that. Everyone driving in the exact same conditions at the same time, was there any one of you who consistently took a half gallon or a bit more per fill up ? If you all filled it right up every stop, you could just compare volumes , but honestly I think driving habits would be more responsible for any difference, then anything else . Was @KayTwo consistently trying to ram you from behind ? lmao
    • kev wrote:

      Ross wrote:

      Cowboy wrote:

      No, not that it's important, I just found it strange that some claim that it helped their MPG while mine went down. Speedo is pretty accurate with the GPS. I'd much rather that the extra kick that the MPG anyway. I just know that with certain trips that we frequently make, I'll lose about 30 miles on the tank which puts me in the middle of nowhere on a turnpike. Guess I'll just have to top it off before getting on! LOL
      On our recent trip to Canada the three of us had different results when using the gauges and even at the pump.With different tire setups, tunes, CAI, exhaust, and suspension adjustments it is difficult to trust the computer.

      Try tracking it by hand for a couple three tanks and let us know
      Heh @Ross that would have been so easy to compare on a long group ride on a trip like that. Everyone driving in the exact same conditions at the same time, was there any one of you who consistently took a half gallon or a bit more per fill up ? If you all filled it right up every stop, you could just compare volumes , but honestly I think driving habits would be more responsible for any difference, then anything else . Was @KayTwo consistently trying to ram you from behind ? lmao
      @KayTwo - I swear had no over fill line

      I was usually a couple/seversl tenths of a gallon more than @exharleyrider

      I hadn't really been able to doing any testing on Bob's tune before we left but I can say that with it, it idles at 1k and you don't get that drop in RPM when you coast to a stop but more impressively 5th gear got some life to it. If we were cruising at 75 and came to a steep incline, I could leave it in 5th and maintain speed heck I could even pass in 5th without having to down shift
    • MPG has so many variables from one person to another you cannot compare. I could be getting 39 MPG but all I drive is highway and flat roads. You could be getting 19 but you are in constant stop and go traffic and driving through winding hills. Your gas could be more "watered down" in your neck of the woods than the Ethanol free fuel I am running. Temperature plays a huge role as well.

      Unless you have 2 slingshots...with the exact same configuration driving the exact same roads at the same time using the exact same fuel...you should not try to compare. Instead continue driving the same way you always do and try changing only one variable at a time with 2-3 tanks of fuel between each change...ex...you goto mobil for gas and track your milage for 2-3 tanks of fuel...then you try sunoco and track your milage for 2-3 tanks then you try racetrack gas for 2-3 tanks. Use whatever the best one is.

      Try different driving styles....youd be amazed how this one changes the MPG ALOT!!! Heavy off the line and hard braking to stop KILLS gas milage. Found that out early on in my SRT8 Charger :rolleyes:

      What will work for one person in their driving conditions may not work with somebody else.

      JMHO
      SSREAPER
      :BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS: :COLDAIRSS: :COILOVERSS:
    • dangerdarrell wrote:

      I don’t get very great mileage I’m sure. I blame it on the supercharger! Before I put it on I was not hitting the throttle so hard and so often. So actually I should blame @Slingrazor. If he hadn’t told me to drive his and see what I thought of the supercharger I could have kept fairly good mileage. ;(
      Hey Darrell ,..If you would rather have great fuel economy again....Im sure you could remove your super charger and unload it to somebody else who doesnt care about fuel milage....Oh @MiM I think Darrell here want to sell his SC...CHEAP TOO! :whistling: :saint: :evil:

      Just sayin :D

      SSREAPER
      :BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS: :COLDAIRSS: :COILOVERSS:
    • SSREAPER wrote:

      dangerdarrell wrote:

      I don’t get very great mileage I’m sure. I blame it on the supercharger! Before I put it on I was not hitting the throttle so hard and so often. So actually I should blame @Slingrazor. If he hadn’t told me to drive his and see what I thought of the supercharger I could have kept fairly good mileage. ;(
      Hey Darrell ,..If you would rather have great fuel economy again....Im sure you could remove your super charger and unload it to somebody else who doesnt care about fuel milage....Oh @MiM I think Darrell here want to sell his SC...CHEAP TOO! :whistling: :saint: :evil:
      Just sayin :D

      SSREAPER
      HaHa. If I cared about fuel mileage I would drive a Prius. Well...that would never happen. Maybe I would just slow down. Hey, my Jeep never got better than 11 mpg after I got done with mods on it. My last Vette got about 2 mpg in town.
      :SLRSS:
    • Ross wrote:

      kev wrote:

      Ross wrote:

      On our recent trip to Canada the three of us had different results when using the gauges and even at the pump.With different tire setups, tunes, CAI, exhaust, and suspension adjustments it is difficult to trust the computer.
      Try tracking it by hand for a couple three tanks and let us know
      Heh @Ross that would have been so easy to compare on a long group ride on a trip like that. Everyone driving in the exact same conditions at the same time, was there any one of you who consistently took a half gallon or a bit more per fill up ? If you all filled it right up every stop, you could just compare volumes , but honestly I think driving habits would be more responsible for any difference, then anything else . Was @KayTwo consistently trying to ram you from behind ? lmao
      @KayTwo - I swear had no over fill line
      I was usually a couple/seversl tenths of a gallon more than @exharleyrider

      I hadn't really been able to doing any testing on Bob's tune before we left but I can say that with it, it idles at 1k and you don't get that drop in RPM when you coast to a stop but more impressively 5th gear got some life to it. If we were cruising at 75 and came to a steep incline, I could leave it in 5th and maintain speed heck I could even pass in 5th without having to down shift
      @kev, it had nothing to do with me ramming @Ross from behind. WAIT A MINUTE...! X(

      No, but seriously, Ross set a great pace across the country that allowed us to minimize fuel consumption. We discovered that in general, cruising or driving calmly below 60 or 65 netted us the best mileage, for me it was around 28-29 mpg. 65-80 was more in the 25-26 range, and once we got above 80, it was more like 22-23.

      Here's my issue. Around town, without Ross' calming effect, I *don't* drive sedately, and I'm often over 80. So around town, I'm more like 19-22 mpg. And apparently, from what I can tell, that's my fault. I really did think it had to do with the larger tire, etc etc, but that was disproved for me on the trip.
      :BLUESS:

    Slingshotinfo.com is not affiliated with Polaris Industries the makers of Polaris Slingshot in any way.