Bullet Speed Top Installed

• Received My V-back top yesterday, got it installed and hit the road with the boss lady. While tooling through the neighborhood we thought "dang, this is going to be awesome, hold my beer". Once we got onto the highway and up to 50 MPH ALL that quickly changed. The wind was awful. Got up to 70, looked over at Granny and noticed her eyelids turning inside-out. Instant Facelift.haha.
    What gives? Anyone else having this problem?
    2018 SLR stock tinted windshield.

• The NASCAR-style windshield from AllThingsSlingshot may also eliminate the wind problem.
    I have a Twist Dynamics Top and use a MadStad Single Adjustable 13" windshield and don't have wind problem. A few months ago, I reinstalled my stock 2015 Slingshot Blade windshield and was quickly reminded why I switched to a taller windshield. W/o eye protection, I couldn't see at all at higher speeds due to the air hitting my eyes.
    A nice feature of the MadStad Single Adjustable is the adjustability that allows air to flow under the windshield w/o causing turbulence in the cockpit. I also drilled a second set of mounting holes to allow me to install the windshield lower to reduce air flow in cooler weather. MadStad has a sizing chart on their website which says I should use the 11" shield since I'm around 6'1", but I can still see over the 13" windshield w/o straining my neck. I typically look thru the shield, but in heavy rain, it can help to look over it.
    If you have other Slingshot owners in your area who have a Top, check with them to see how they like their windshields.

Edited once, last by BKL ().

• Received My V-back top yesterday, got it installed and hit the road with the boss lady. While tooling through the neighborhood we thought "dang, this is going to be awesome, hold my beer". Once we got onto the highway and up to 50 MPH ALL that quickly changed. The wind was awful. Got up to 70, looked over at Granny and noticed her eyelids turning inside-out. Instant Facelift.haha.
    What gives? Anyone else having this problem?
    2018 SLR stock tinted windshield.

okay - so this is the first I have heard of a wind problem when installing a top - I have a 2016 SL with the factory windshield - if I were to get a top at some point is this something I would have to worry about?

if this is an issue is it a problem with every top including the Mean Sling?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• okay - so this is the first I have heard of a wind problem when installing a top - I have a 2016 SL with the factory windshield - if I were to get a top at some point is this something I would have to worry about?
    if this is an issue is it a problem with every top including the Mean Sling?

Before I ever bought a windshield, I stopped by a fellow Slingshot owner's house just so the Wife and I could try getting in & out to see if we liked it. We did, but I have to confess that it never occurred to m to ask him about cockpit air turbulence. I already knew I wanted a taller windshield since my first extended ride before I purchased was in a Slingshot with an F4+3 shield and the top of it was right in the middle of my eye-line.

• No problem with the Meansling Sport Top. I have the standard ripper windshield and have added Baker Airwings on the angled corners.

not sure if my windshield is the ripper mine has curve to it and not the hard angles, whatever it is it came standard on my 2016 SL

here is a picture

is this a ripper? if not what is it?

better pic

• I was just looking at the parts on the polaris site and under the 2016 SL they list my windshield as a blade part number 5452033.

If I look at the parts list for 2018 SL they list several different windshields including this exact same part number, but it is noted as being Canadian SL only and they also note that it required the center support.

do the newer slingshots not have the center support?

• Mine is a 2016, purchased new no center support. I have added one but it is just used to mount stuff (cell phone, GPS, etc.) There is no attachment to the windshield.

2016 Bluefire LE, the fastest color. :D:BLUESS:

• this is starting to sound to me like it could open a can of worms as they say.

Get a top - get too much wind
    get a taller windshield to fix the wind
    now exhaust fumes become an issue
    and I have to get a new exhaust to try to mitigate the fumes

starting to sound like a top could be much more costly that I ever thought

:00000028:

• Maybe I need to clarify. With the top and windshield I have there is no increase in wind noise. I have not removed the cat so I have never had exhaust fume issues.

2016 Bluefire LE, the fastest color. :D:BLUESS:

• Exhaust recirculation into the cockpit is primarily a problem for folks who have modified exhausts w/o a catalytic converter and also have a top plus a (taller) solid windshield that does not promote air flow into the cockpit. I have a cat-less exhaust and a TD Top and the only time I smell fumes is sitting at a long light. Once moving, the MadStad Single Adjustable windshield pretty much eliminates exhaust getting back into the cockpit by allowing fresh air to flow under the windshield to keep the cockpit air flushed.

• @edwardaneal I will suggest you speak to owners of the MeanSling top to get thier feedback. They are who you want to hear from. I will only say that a good bit of time was spent dealing with airflow, top rake and position of the top in relation to the W/S during development to insure proper air flow at the leading edge and over the top at all speeds. This is one reason the top sits in the position it does.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

Edited once, last by Ruptured Duck ().