Good evening,
    We are going to be passing through Washington with our Polaris
    Slingshot, https://slingshot.polaris.com/en-us/, and I am curious if
    helmets are required in your state?

Thanks,

William Fyfe

Received from the Washington State Police office on July 10, 2018

Mr. Fyfe:
    A Slingshot is considered to be a motorcycle, therefore is required to wear a helmet.

(Then it goes into recapping the regulations we all have read so many times before.)

If you have any questions, please let me know.

Thank you,
    WSP Equipment
    “Service With Humility”

Bill

• And the reply below was that helmets aren't needed!

This subject was brought up on another thread a few days ago so I contacted the State Patrol. This response came today.

Hello Ma’am, thank you for contacting the Washington State Patrol. The answer to your question is found in Revised Code of Washington (RCW) section 46.37.530 subsection (c). Based on the guidelines set forth in this subsection, an operator and passenger would not be required to wear a helmet while operating this motorcycle (defined in RCW 46.04.330 (2)). This is a result of the Slingshot including a steering wheel, seat belts, and a partially enclosed seating area. Depending on the model of the Slingshot, the use of goggles, or a face shield may be required if there is not a windshield present (RCW 46.37.530(b)). We appreciate your question, have a great rest of your day!

I crossed an intersection in front of a Sheriff the other day and waited for the blue lights - nothing. Guess I'm willing to take my chances.

• The BIGGEST EVENT of the YEAR! OYSTER RUN ... We will meet at
    MEET 9:30am
    DEPART 10:00am
    Go on a ride through Skagit County
    Collect at Frontier Ford before our ride into Downtown Anacortes
    Full of Vendors .. Bikes .. Food Trucks .. Side Shows .. an event not to miss.