Audio System failure

• Nuc ‘em came to me with a good sounding sound system. It has Rockwood speaker pods, a JL Audio MX280/4 and a Kenwood subwoofer.

Last Friday, as I was walking past the Sling in the driveway, I could hear noises coming from under the car cover. Investigation revealed that the JL amp was sending signals to the speakers without the Sling running. The amp was hotter than heck. So I pulled the fuse to the speaker.

Trouble shot the system, with help from JL Audio tech services, we found that the amp power circuit latched on and will not unlatch even with power removed from the switched power source.

Going to have to remove that amp and return to JL for repairs. This will give my an opportunity to clean up the wiring behind the seat.

The good news is that JL had a fixed $100 fee plus shipping charges for the repairs. Checked with a couple of local audio places, they just wanted me to give them the SS and they would replace everything and charge somewhere between $500 and $2000 to get it up and rolling. I think not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• Spoke with Shawn at Slingtunes this afternoon. Got some good ideas and direction. Think I’ll pull out the amps and replace the head unit with a Sony double din. Will probably keep the stock SL speakers and the SSV boxes and Kickers at the hips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter