Steering wheel off-center -- UPDATE

• If you're referring to the Explorer roll-over fiasco, I still feel that apart of the problem was with Ford's design of a relatively tall Explorer compared to its width and managed to shift most of the blame onto Firestone. Just my opinion and that's worth exactly what I just got paid to post it! :D

I am talking about the ones that kept self destructing due to a chemical imbalance in the compound, what ever happened after they self destroyed is irrelevant for the purpose of this conversation .

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I have Motivos on the front of my Slingshot now. No complaints. As the chart above shows, the Motivo rates better than the 555 G2 for life, wet road performance, noise and comfort, but it is rated slightly less capable on dry roads compared to the 555 G2. Given the Slingshot's willingness to hydroplane and the Motivo's overall ratings, I think I will probably try one next time.

• I am talking about the ones that kept self destructing due to a chemical imbalance in the compound, what ever happened after they self destroyed is irrelevant for the purpose of this conversation .

Point taken. I have to admit that I don't know if the two issues were connected or not as I don't remember hearing about Firestone tires having what would definitely have to be considered a design flaw.

• I just found this info...

Ultra High Performance Summer tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
    Note: Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Ultra High Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

• I just found this info...

Ultra High Performance Summer tires exposed to temperatures of 20 degrees F (-7 degrees C) or lower must be permitted to gradually return to temperatures of at least 40 degrees F (5 degrees C) for at least 24 hours before they are flexed in any manner, such as by adjusting inflation pressures, mounting them on wheels, or using them to support, roll or drive a vehicle.
    Note: Flexing of the specialized rubber compounds used in Ultra High Performance Summer tires during cold-weather use can result in irreversible compound cracking. While compound cracking is not a warrantable condition because it occurs as the result of improper use or storage, tires exhibiting compound cracking must be replaced.

Picked up my sling in 17° weather and drove 50 miles plus it's stored in an unheated garage that gets below zero. No issues with my tires.

• If you're referring to the Explorer roll-over fiasco, I still feel that apart of the problem was with Ford's design of a relatively tall Explorer compared to its width and managed to shift most of the blame onto Firestone. Just my opinion and that's worth exactly what I just got paid to post it! :D

As a person who dealt with the Firestone/Ford explorer disaster for almost a full year during the recall I can tell you whole heatedly the blame rests solely on FORD. Firestone won the contract to put tires on all of fords explorers and f150s at that time. Well the tire ford chose had a very "hard" ride to it but the price point was where ford wanted it so to soften the ride...ford lowered the tire pressure in the tires and put that on the door placard of each vehicle. By lowering the tire pressure it gave the feel of a softer smother ride. Problem was that the lower tire pressure caused the sidewall of the tire to flex a lot more thus causing it to heat up. All of the failures that ever happened was highway use after long periods of time. The sidewalls heated up until they failed . Yes the design of the ford explorer being taller and narrower contributed to it rolling over but as for the tire failures themselves anybody who ran the tire pressure up the the 32-35 lbs never had a problem and nobody that only did short travel driving ever had a problem. Ford convinced Firestone to be the whipping boy and take most of the blame, by promising them a 10 year contract. The 10 year contract is what kept Firestone in business during and after the recall until customers forgot about the incident. They are still recovering from it.

From that whole fiasco the entire tire industry had to change. After the investigation went into the rollovers they found that 90+percent of all of the rollovers happened when the blowout happened on the rear of the vehicle. When a tire blows out on the front you just steer normally and you can maintain control of the vehicle. When a blowout happens in the rear of a vehicle a lot of times you must use counter steer to maintain control and most people cannot do that instinctively and put in the wrong steering response to the blowout and thus causing a greater possibility of loss of control. As such the DOT (Dept of transportation), NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Association) and MAP ( Motorist Assurance Program) all changed their guidelines for installing new tires. Whenever only 2 new tires are being installed, they are to be installed on the rear of the vehicle. (YES EVEN ON FRONT WHEEL DRIVE CARS). If a vehicle comes in for a tire rotation and the front tires are significantly more worn than the rear tires(more than 4/32 difference between them) ..we CANNOT rotate them.

I know that last part will have alot of people ready to go up in arms because it is totally different then what they were taught but that is the way it is now and as we as a people become more educated about things...our view on things has to change.

Food for thought

SSREAPER

PS
    Dont shoot the messenger!

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• I don't own any SUV type vehicles but of the vehicles I do own the best tires are always on the front. I have blown tires on both ends on everything from an 18 wheeler to a motorcycle and I'll take my chances with the best tires on the front.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I saw a dashboard video once of a big motor home blowing a front tire. It didn’t end well. Rolled over in the median.

Ex wife was driving my full size van loaded with 1000 pounds of equipment on the turnpike in the passing lane doing 70. Back tire blew. She got it off the right side of the road without any trouble.

• I just found this pretty interesting...

A tire that starts with 10/32" of original tread depth has 12.5% wear for every 1/32" that is worn away, and a tire that starts with 12/32" " of original tread depth, has 10% wear for every 1/32" that is worn away, etc.