Steering wheel off-center -- UPDATE

• The rear targets on the True Laser system are set out from the rear rim on both sides, equal distance from the front hub centers. Picture drawing a box, hub center to hub center to rear target on one side to rear target on the other side then back to the first hub. Once it's square adjust the rear out to the desired toe in for the front.
    The rear wheel isn't adjusted, all the work is done in the front.

• The rear targets on the True Laser system are set out from the rear rim on both sides, equal distance from the front hub centers. Picture drawing a box, hub center to hub center to rear target on one side to rear target on the other side then back to the first hub. Once it's square adjust the rear out to the desired toe in for the front.
    The rear wheel isn't adjusted, all the work is done in the front.

@Red I would love to have a phone conversation with you about all of this. Pm me?

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• Well I was thinking if there is a way for his targets to stand upright without being attached to a wheel....that said...measurements could be taken from the center of the rear tire and have the targets on those makes.....on a car he uses 4 targets and the computer tells him all the info after it calculates the info it gets from the targets.

I don’t know if the rear targets for one back wheel would compute.

So if you don’t square off the back wheel are all the specs junk or just the toe?

• Although Polaris lists some info on Camber and Caster, IIRC, the ONLY alignment adjustment Polaris designed to be adjusted was toe-in. Camber and Caster are NOT considered adjustable.
    Based on my local Laser Alignment dealer experience, he used 2 folding 4 ft rulers that he positioned dead center on my rear tire and then used equidistant measurements out from that point to set the front alignment.

• I’m told polaris sells swing arm shim kits...that said the amount of shims is different on both sides... could that be why they told me they had so much trouble lining up the hood....is my frame out of whack?

He told me my camber is out on the right and that’s the tire that was down to the wear bars..

What I don’t understand is why he doesn’t know the front tires on the can am (he drives one) and the slingshot need squared to the rear tire...

I’m going to try to talk to him and show him a few alignment videos...

I’m willing to buy some laser targets and some line lasers..

• I just came back from a ride and my steering wheel is off center now....

If the steering wheel is off center is the toe setting out of whack?

personally I dont understand why you are taking it to some alignment guy and not the dealer. It almost seems as if you are trying to tell him how to do it and buying adjustable A arms to accommodate him and what he thinks should be done.

I would think it would be much better to find a dealer with the proper equipment who is trained in working on the Slingshot

My dealer of choice is 62 miles away and to get there I drive past another dealer that is only 23 miles. I am willing to drive the extra distance because I trust Malcolm Smith and they have received Polaris's Gold service rating. The one I drive past has only been rated as bronze

Anyway I think it is interesting that you want to intrust your slingshot to someone who has not received any of the slingshot specific training that Polaris certified shop would have and I find it even more interesting that you feel you need to install custom parts. If I had to get custom parts to get the alignment correct on a vehicle of mine I would be afraid that the problem was something much bigger like a bent frame.

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• It’s either a bent frame worn out parts or badly out of adjustment.....

One reason is he is right up the street from me...second, he’s been doing alignments for over 30 years. Third, I’m trying to pick his brain.... forth, nobody can get a walk in appointment from the dealer...you can not wait for any repair work you have to leave it...and just because you made an appointment to have work done...doesn’t mean you’ll get it back quickly...

They tell you drop it off Monday morning and Wednesday it hasn’t been touched yet..

I don’t have the luxury of dropping it off possibly for several days till they get to it..and trying to get someone to give me a ride to and from 30 miles each way...been down that road several times already...

That said, who knows if they actually have anyone qualified to do a laser alignment correctly? They are not going to tell you you just paid over $100 to a guy that just guessed at the settings...which could be incorrect since the day they changed the rack arm last year.

If I have to I’ll buy the true track alignment set up. I just spent over $3000 on a new phone, driveway sealer, washing machine, SS swing arms, and cell phone case....what’s another $2000...for an alignment?

That said, he noticed right away the amount of shims were different from side to side....

Check your SS and see what you find? The shims are on the top arms where they bolt on..

He owns a can am...so maybe we can work together to help each other out. and I’ll be watching his every move as close as I can get...

I plan on stopping in tomorrow to see when he has time to talk and watch a video of a can am being 3 wheel aligned...with the true track..

On a car he has adjustment points on the rear axle to make it stop it from crabbing...since the SS and can am have no rear wheel adjustments, the process is different. I want to actually see what nuts and bolts you turn to make the front line up square to the rear....and how you make the steering wheel straight again...in the Polaris garage...I can watch the service manager take phone calls...

I’ll be able to talk to him and ask questions...that alone could be priceless...maybe he’ll be convinced enough to buy the true track system....win, win...

• I find it interesting when anyone finds anything Bigdog says interesting... Because it all don't make sense!

The dog is an enigma wrapped in a riddle...

Did you ever try feeding him some doggy biscuits or teach him to fetch? If not it could be the reason he's gone astray.

• While driving more and more, I'm actually starting to believe that this Sparco steering wheel may indeed be impossible to center with it's grooves. It's just a touch off-center to the left but the alignment seems to be intact. For now, I'm going to keep it as is and not worry about it.

• While driving more and more, I'm actually starting to believe that this Sparco steering wheel may indeed be impossible to center with it's grooves. It's just a touch off-center to the left but the alignment seems to be intact. For now, I'm going to keep it as is and not worry about it.

Get it aligned and it will straighten the steering wheel!

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• So if the steering wheel is turned slightly left....which side is out?

What I would ultimately try to make happen would be to use his computer and a laser or two and or his targets...to line up the SS..

His set up is half a pit....the back wheel sits on the concrete floor ....the front wheels are on the racks over the pit...so two targets can sit on the ground beside the rear wheel.

• It’s either a bent frame worn out parts or badly out of adjustment.....

Did you buy your slingshot used? has it been in an accident where the front end was damaged?

• dont have the luxury?

My slingshot is my daily driver. my wife has her car and I ride the sling. When my sling has to go into the shop unless it is going to be ready that day I have to rent a car. my extended service contract does reimburse for rental cars, but it is still a pain in the behind - also as I said above my dealer is 62 miles away - - having to get my slingshot worked on is a total pain, and I avoid it as much as possible by doing any service work I can do myself - - despite the huge inconvenience taking it to the dealer is I would still never take it someone who has not been trained specifically how to work on the slingshot. These are not cars and they are not motorcycles and just because some guy is a car or motorcycle expert does not mean he is qualified to properly fix a slingshot..

• You mentioned the optimum word....trained ....I’m going to error on the side of....I highly doubt there are as many trained SS mechanics as you think there are...

My dealer sells tons of quads ..and probably snow mobiles....so I’m guessing SS mechanics are in the minority...could be why you can’t wait for your vehicle to be serviced/repaired..and that’s probably waiting behind all the new vehicle delivery preps..

I have 5 vehicles....the problem is ...no other drivers...

Reading everything that’s been on this forum....qualified SS mechanics...that actually know what they are doing...is pretty low. And most of us end up doing our own repairs because of that... I can learn on the job just like their mechanics...and I don’t have to pay shop time...may take me longer but it’s the price you pay for doing-it-right-yourself..

If the SS was around for 20-30 years with thousands on the road the situation would be much different. I highly doubt people that want to be mechanics are lining up saying I want to make a living working on SS..not enough yet to be the main bread and butter. I can’t blame the mechanics...they need to eat too...I guessing more people on these forums are doing a whole lot of maintenance and repair work themselves...why pay someone to guess or that knows as much as you do?

Let’s not forget the front half of the SS is a car with many of he exact same parts.

Granted the 3 wheel alignment thing is a bit more difficult. I don’t think it’s out of anyone’s realm once we can get a copy of the exact “secret” Polaris alignment procedure. And the correct tools.

Can anyone buy the Polaris laser alignment system?