another exhaust question

• ok I have used the search and read a lot about exhaust fumes and have a few questions. will a side exit exhaust straight off the oem muffler to the right side get rid of fumes or would a vent in the windshield be better and if I go with a vent such as a goldwing vent would one in the center work or two be better ,one for driver and one for rider? I have a 17 model with gutted cat and bullet speed top, oem windshield. I know people have already been through this so what was the outcome?

• I had and won my own battle with the exhaust fumes getting into the cockpit but it was with a different windscreen, top, and exhaust so I'll let someone who has been down your particular road respond. If no one does then I will share my experiences.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• My situation was different in the fact that I was using different equipment, but the problem was the same. In it's original configuration I didn't notice much exhaust in the cockpit unless stopped and especially in traffic. As soon as we added the exhaust we immediately had issues with fumes. Then we added the tall "nascar" style windscreen and it got worse. Then we took off the 90*tail pipe and had one made that was appx. 30* and pointed it slightly down. That seemed to help but we still had some fumes. Then we added the slingshade roof. That made it TERRIBLE! I immediately put the tail pipe back on and that helped but it was still very noticeable. Then we cut a piece of lexan to fit with close tolerances on the inside of the roll hoops up against the underside of the slingshade and very close to the body of the SS. Now we never notice any fumes at all unless we are stopped in traffic and who knows who's exhaust we are smelling then.

I posted a video of Larrys flags as we were riding 65mph side by side down a 4 lane highway. They are mounted at the very back of the SS above the factory tag location. Both flags were flying toward the cockpit instead of toward the rear as you would think they should. I think that is a perfect example of why we see so much problem with fumes in the cockpit. There is a natural low pressure area in the cockpit to start with and when we start adding taller screens, tops etc it just magnifies the issue. Without the custom made wind restrictor we would not be able to tolerate the amount of fumes we were getting. Just a note about differences in wind restrictors. They are not all created equal and shouldn't be. If their purpose is just to settle the buffeting of the air in the cockpit then the flow through type is fine but if you need one to stop exhaust fumes from reaching the cockpit then you need a solid one and the tolerance at the top and bottom need to be tight and it needs to extend to the "outside" edge of the roll hoops not the inside edge. Of course all this is just my personal opinion drawn from my personal experiences with my chosen equipment so take it all with a grain of salt. I'm sure it is worth the price charged. :thumbsup:

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Been down this path too. My issue was from a combination of cat-less WP dual rear exhaust, stinger top and F4+5 windshield. Tried many things. My final configuration makes it bearable and comparable to stock.

I run a custom made tight tolerance rear windscreen and large size UA rear wing. No more passenger complaints.

Here is the post outlining the rear windscreen I created: Custom Rear Windscreen for Madstad Stinger Top

Joey | 2016.5 Base Black :BLACKSS:
    "Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

Edited once, last by 2W2X1 ().

• @cbailey7a, you're going to be hard pressed to find a solution that will completely remove exhaust fumes from cockpit... question for you: 1. Are you trying to get rid of exhaust for you or for your passenger? I have a+5 windshield as well as the bullet speed top on mine. When I had the Turbo installed I ran the side exit for over a year and I never smelled exhaust. My wife, however, complained about it the entire time. I finally gave in and installed the Welter rear, side exit (exits on my side) and all she's done is comment about how that's the best money I've spent on the SS. She absolutely loves it. I, on the other hand, am now the one that gets occasional whiff of exhaust, not to mention the droning of the exhaust tone. It's not bad at all and really I only get a whiff when I'm slowing down. It's as if the exhaust catches up to the sling. Jeff Welter gave me some baffles to put in for the noise, but I haven't tried them yet. I kind of like the increased performance as well as the increase in gas mileage (if you ever take the sling on a road trip, you'll know what I mean about gas mileage).
    As far as getting air into the cockpit, or keeping it out in the winter, the baker air wings solved that issue. Not sure where you live, but I live in the desert southwest and it's hot as fuck right now so every bit of air I can get into the cockpit is good. I was actually thinking about the MC windshield vents and wondering how they would do on the sling. Curious to know how that works out for you. At any rate, for your exhaust fumes, the trick is to get the exhaust out into the vehicle's airstream and preferably low and to the side behind you, away from the low pressure area directly behind the sling. I really wanted the Welter dual setup, but even jeff himself will tell you that you'll get fumes in the cockpit, especially with the top (and worse as in my case) with the taller windshield.

• ok I have used the search and read a lot about exhaust fumes and have a few questions. will a side exit exhaust straight off the oem muffler to the right side get rid of fumes or would a vent in the windshield be better and if I go with a vent such as a goldwing vent would one in the center work or two be better ,one for driver and one for rider? I have a 17 model with gutted cat and bullet speed top, oem windshield. I know people have already been through this so what was the outcome?

I never had this problem even with the cat delete and the stock muffler, but I am running a UP/Fab Factory top with the stock wind screen that has been lowered to the height of the center bracket. I have also done some things to change the air flow in the cockpit. There is no low pressure area in the cockpit. Also I am one of the very first installs of the Welter Duals in Maggie Valley

• I never had this problem even with the cat delete and the stock muffler, but I am running a UP/Fab Factory top with the stock wind screen that has been lowered to the height of the center bracket. I have also done some things to change the air flow in the cockpit. There is no low pressure area in the cockpit now.

That is the key to the whole equation. You either have to block the exhaust from getting in by mechanical barriers or remove the low pressure area so that there is no reason for it to be drawn in. In the summer time reducing the low pressure is a great option. In the winter, not so much. Remember, I put a jacket on when the temp gets below 70*F.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• That is the key to the whole equation. You either have to block the exhaust from getting in by mechanical barriers or remove the low pressure area so that there is no reason for it to be drawn in. In the summer time reducing the low pressure is a great option. In the winter, not so much. Remember, I put a jacket on when the temp gets below 70*F.

The Diffusers/diverts on my top that I showed you in Maggie, changed everything in the cockpit(air flow & temp.). I thought they would dump water on me in the rain, but they do not.

• The Diffusers/diverts on my top that I showed you in Maggie, changed everything in the cockpit(air flow & temp.). I thought they would dump water on me in the rain, but they do not.

Can you share what the diffuser is that you have installed?

"Defensor Vindex" | "Born of Freedom" | "None Shall Pass" | "Deter. Defend. Respond." | "Supra Et Ultra" | "Valor Honor" | "Si Ego Certiorem Faciam... Mihi Tu Delendus Eris"

"Dating a skinny chick is fun until you hit 110mph in the Slingshot and she flies out like a napkin... thumbsup.png" - 2W2X1

• I'm a little late here - catching up on unread threads. My experience with the Alpha side exit is that it dumps the exhaust into a steady airflow down the side of the Sling and it does not reenter the cockpit. Now if you're at a stop and the wind is toward the cockpit, your going to get uncatalyzed exhaust smell but that can't be avoided...

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• It can only be installed in the UP/Fab Factory Top in the scoop area to turn air down into the cockpit

Sounds like it could be done/made to work with the madstad stinger top then too?

• The one thing I can truly say has helped is the rear wing. Could be in conjunction with other mods. The plastic pieces I installed underneath definitely didn't do jack! At least the other stuff at least has an aesthetic purpose. The Underground Auto Styling was a joke as far as ready to paint! I got a medium length wing. It had holes to fill and sucked ass to paint.
    It did seem to change the air flow enough to notice a improvement in the exhaust fumes.

• The Underground Auto Styling was a joke as far as ready to paint! I got a medium length wing. It had holes to fill and sucked ass to paint.
    It did seem to change the air flow enough to notice a improvement in the exhaust fumes.

Agree 100%. Mine came dinged and with pits. They did compensate for it though. I ended up using superglue as a filler, sanded it down and then used a rattle can to paint mine. Turned out pretty darn good and def. did what I needed it to do.