Odd behavior with my SS last night.

• After a night of cruising, I was pulling into my street when the SS started to idle roughly and I heard clicking sounds which were definitely either the injectors or the valve lifters. It felt/sounded as if the SS was running on 3 cylinders instead of 4. After limping it to my garage, the behavior stopped and my engine was running smoothly again. How could I check the codes to see if something was trigger? Only got 478 miles on it.

• Was this in reverse? If so, there is a reverse speed nanny that limits rpm's.

@jpb19403 I realize that you were being serious and you make a good point but it made me wonder if he is like I used to be in my younger days when I'd just as soon drive in reverse as I had forward. You get the strangest looks from folks when you pass them going in reverse and wave at them through the windshield. Those louvers that you put on your rear window back in the day would start really cutting up around 50mph in reverse.

I once drove one of my cars home from town (8 miles) in reverse because all the forward gears had failed. That one cost me an engine rebuild to go along with the transmission rebuild because I got it too hot and collapsed all the rings. At the moment I really didn't care because I was slightly pissed but by the time I got it all back together I had learned a good lesson on how far you can get away with driving in reverse. I could go on all day about the stupid crap I done way back then and some not so long ago but we'll save a few of those stories for later.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• After a night of cruising, I was pulling into my street when the SS started to idle roughly and I heard clicking sounds which were definitely either the injectors or the valve lifters. It felt/sounded as if the SS was running on 3 cylinders instead of 4. After limping it to my garage, the behavior stopped and my engine was running smoothly again. How could I check the codes to see if something was trigger? Only got 478 miles on it.

if your check engine light didn't come on than you have no codes that you can check

Oil level?

Any recent mods?

• Use some dry gas just Incase...never buy gas at a station when the tanker truck is unloading...it’s stirring up all the dirt and water in the underground tanks. Let it settle for a day or two...

And just personally I buy name brand gas not Ralph’s no name cheap gas..even though it’s 93... you never know if Ralph is watering it down for more profit..