Exhaust routed to rear with O.E.M Muffler

• Has anyone used the stock cat and muffler to attach a pipe and route to the rear or even just reposition the placement of the dumping of exhaust?
    I have done a pretty good job of getting rid of most of the heat on the passenger side. While on our 3800 mile round trip to Yellowstone, I found a glaring weakness in my efforts I had thought were taken care of.
    The speed limit in some areas west of me have a speed limit of 80 mph. I usually drive 7mph to 9mph, indicated, over that limit and seem to have no issues with law enforcement.
    I found with that higher speed, the exhaust gasses are exiting the muffler at a higher rate and maybe even a more elevated temperature than if I were to travel in the 65 mph to even 80 mph range. This caused the drain holes to become a more pronounced problem and even the transmission tunnel become warmer.
    My Wife is absolutely awesome when it comes to the complaining. Never met a female more willing to deal with our traveling issues in a mellow way. She is just happy to be with me and exploring our great country.
    We did find that at those elevated speeds it makes the ride less enjoyable to her, understandably.
    I really do not want to spend the $1000 plus to install an aftermarket set-up. I would like to know if anyone has done this? Any suggestions, no, not worth it, you'll be disappointment in the results, or even heck yeah, that works great?
    I really feel most if not all of my heat issue are now from the exhaust gasses. When I travel slower their is less heat in her area. I know I can travel slower, but come on, when you can make the miles tick by quicker when traveling for 12 to 14 hours the speed is gonna creep up, if I feel conditions are right and she will be safe as well as anyone I happen to meet.I covered the drain holes which helped quite a bit and put a fabric barrier under the passenger seat to keep the air flow from moving forward to her feet and legs. That helped enough she was happy. But I still want it better for her.

If you get hit, it's because you were there.

• Since I don't know what steps you have taken some of this may be redundant. When we got ours it was already winter time and quickly became to cold to enjoy riding. Our sling had 891 miles on it. We were planning several mods so we took the plunge and remove the engine and transmission. While we had it out we took that opportunity to work on the heat issue everyone else had complained about. We plugged as many of the holes in the firewall that we could then installed dyna mat insulation from the top of the firewall all the way underneath the SS to the rear. In the tunnel we had to fabricate some thin metal plates to go up in the top of the tunnel to attach the dyna mat to. Obviously the area where the shifter comes up into the cockpit had to be left open so once we got the drive train re installed we packed that area with a type of insulation before replacing the shifter boot.

We also installed a 1320 header and the welter rear exit exhaust with cat delete.

We installed the floormats from @Ruptured Duck.

We do not have any aftermarket hood vents etc.

There are also some home remedy vents that bring fresh air into the footwell area that we do not have.

Our experience so far? We are pleased with our efforts but we intend to make more of an effort to close off more holes and improve on insulation in some areas when we take the engine and trans out again this winter.

Note: We re-installed the factory heat shield that was between the muffler and the firewall. It is ugly but serves a purpose even with the aftermarket header and exhaust. We are also in the process of designing and building our own rear exit exhaust and it should help to eliminate some heat.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I had a local muffler shop weld up a 2in pipe from the original muffler all the way to behind the passenger side which kicked out to the left. this work very well, I had no issues with exhaust fumes, but I did lose a little bit of ground clearance. I also wrap the pipe with heat tape.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Pics?