Massachusetts or Rhode Island Slingshot Owners post up here!

• Wow! Just got home from work and hubby informed me that that person we met at DMV replied to his thank you email about explaining why we could not register our slingshot. There are two bills that they are favoring on the slingshots and we may be able to register one in about two weeks! Guess Slinkings birthday brought us good luck! We are so happy that we may be an owner again. Wish us luck please! Thanks to all the knowledgeable people for turning us into slingshot people. Hoping the next two weeks go by fast. Again thanks for letting me join this fabulous forum and not banning me from posting. Hope to meet some of you in the future. Feeling grateful at this moment.

I personally GUARRANTY, we will meet up one day, no doubt!! Keep the faith kid, there are some serious vibes, shooting your way from this great community!! I'm feeling wicked confident for you guys. You're special people in my book, and deserve special things!! :00008698:

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)
    :00007555:

• Thanks ConnMan! That was very nice of you to respond and show support. I am all ready feeling the slingshot love on this site and I still haven't been banned yet! :P

My hubby talked to the dealership to let them know the update as well. Hopefully, we will have it for our Anniversary on the 9th of June to celebrate-42 years and still together. I just feel so happy for my hubby who misses riding his '74 Norton 850 Commando that has been in storage for many years now. We will have to have a ride together some time soon.

Funny, the original we bought and had to cancel is still in stock, so may end up with that one again-Silver, but we really are liking the blue one, just the price is so much higher. What's the community feed back on that one? We probably won't be doing a lot of modifying at this point in our lives, but who knows. Once we actually have it, that may change.

Hubby I-races on line and that has been upgraded over the years to a more advanced system. Counting the days for the call to be able to register. Also, I don't have to get a motorcycle license now, so I may be the driver daily for work to the next town over. Hubby, wasn't too happy when I mentioned it, but we will see! :saint:

• I'm up in Portsmouth, RI. 2015 Sl. Red... The fastest color....

Wait a minute!!......Hey @RI Guy, where is yours registered?? I recall seeing a couple other RI folks on the other forum as well. Are there no RI registered Slingshots at this moment?? Or @dongib, are there special circumstances to your registration?? I'm confused!! :00008862:

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)

• Here is the story! There are roughly 26 registered slingshots in RI that slipped through the system, since the title list them as a motorcycle. At sometime recently, maybe April or March one was stopped and questioned. When we went to register ours, as well as another person on 5/12 we were denied at the Woonsocket branch of the DMV. We were shocked and went back to the dealer who said that branch was wrong, since he had a customer the week before, but ended up getting it registered. The dealer contacted other RI customers to send copies of theirs to show the branch they were wrong. They even tried calling, but everything was automated, so he went with us back to the branch, which is closer to them. Same one we went to so we could drive ours home. Arrived with all kinds of copies, etc. While discussing with the teller, supervisor comes over and tells us we are not allowed, memo had been sent out to no longer except Slingshots as motorcycle. Advised to go to Cranston main headquarters and start with Enforcement, then Administration. Dealer wanted to get this resolved, since starting to sell in RI. Proceed as directed and Enforcement didn't want anything to do with it, so we went to Administration. This is all like a half hour before closing. Arrive at Administration and told in meeting, we could wait or come back. We decided to stay, thinking as we are waiting they are going to blow us off at closing, but to our surprise they met with us and gave us the explanation why as well as our dealer giving them some good points as well. RI law does not consider it a motorcycle under their laws. Main reasons - steering wheel vs handlebars and side by side vs front and back. Wasn't sure how they were going to handle the 26 slipped by, but not allowing any further until law was met. They had been working on for two months internally with their own research in legal. Mentioned someone earlier at the Cranston branch was denied and wanted to know if that was us, which it wasn't. Dealer tried to get a temporary or dealer plate so we could take ours. Shot down, advised not to sell to Rhode Islanders unless being registered in another state. Exchanged phone numbers to keep in touch since they had to have a bill passed to declare as something else to fall under the RI law vs Federal or title certification. Long and heartbreaking day for all. Return to dealership and cancel all transactions including new helmets and cover. While on the dark side as it is being called, saw post from slingingit have the same issue. Responded and I guess I said too much and banned. All post deleted, I had put a RI warning since I didn't want others to have one of the longest happy and frustrated day as we had. Came across the other person's information, so we have communicated. Sorry so long a post, but then I found this site and another RI owner who got his in Aug. before they stopped. Hubby just said he research today that of the two bills presented, one is already being discussed, but may have to go before the governor then will take 6 days to be filed and legal, so now may be 7/1. Although slingingit was told by 6/10. So that is all the details and at 60 I'm not going to be spamming people over something like this. This is the truth and I have phone numbers for anyone who wants to verify my information. In closing I hope I don't get banned from here since there is so much for us to learn and looking to enjoy owning a slingshot some day soon. The new description will be autocycle and no motorcycle license will be required if passed. I am upset that nothing is noted about this, but RI is a small state. TX and I think CT also went through this as well.

• @dongib thanks for writing all of that. Interesting! Welcome! No worries, you're NOT going to be banned HERE! Keep us posted & we'll want pics when you get your Slingshot!
    :thumbsup:

Slingshots: making children out of adults since 2014

• I registered my Sling last July in RI and had no problem registering as a motorcycle. In fact, I just re- registered and got a new sticker in the mail.
    I had no idea that any changes at the DMV were brewing, and saw no indication when I registered this year. Obviously, they realized that if they allowed it last year, they cannot stop you this year.....

• Thats ridiculous to be banned, someone needs a slap for that one!!

Here in Ct it's an Auto Cycle. no helmet and hell my wife doesn't even need a motorcycle license to drive it ( not that she's gunna :D )

I need to go for a ride now and cool down..... :whistling::D

I Have No more toys, just memories.... :/

Edited once, last by BONES ().

• RI Guy, happy to hear you were able to renew. The two bills are H8276 and S3051 which are supposed to pass by 6/10. Still being registered/classed as motorcycle with exception to be referred to as an autocycle with exemption for license status. I will be able to drive as well. John has been checking the website frequently for updates. We are counting the days. Glad they decided to let the 26 alone. I know they weren't sure how to address. Looking forward to meeting some day soon.

• RI Guy, happy to hear you were able to renew. The two bills are H8276 and S3051 which are supposed to pass by 6/10. Still being registered/classed as motorcycle with exception to be referred to as an autocycle with exemption for license status. I will be able to drive as well. John has been checking the website frequently for updates. We are counting the days. Glad they decided to let the 26 alone. I know they weren't sure how to address. Looking forward to meeting some day soon.

I was once kind of in your shoes. I had a deposit on an SS 2 days after Polaris introduced it to the world!! The deposit was at a CT dealership though. Found out in October of 2014, that I wasn't going to be able to purchase it in CT, for your same reasons in RI. So, I figured it was just not meant to be. But then I had another thought, I'm going to buy it anyway, just to have it, stare at it, polish it,........
    So with it being so close for you, just get it, Mom's will trailer it to your house!! Then, you're officially in the family!!!

Never trust a ConnMan!!
    (Man I love that line!)

Edited once, last by ConnMan ().

• Prayers and Blessings for tomorrow's Senate vote. Dying with anticipation for a go ahead. Hoping it is immediate and don't have to wait much longer. Spending hours drooling over videos and ideas. All ready have a list of mods wanted once have. Maybe not for the first year, but who knows. This is becoming addicted! Thanks for the support of this forum...

Always,
    John and Donna
    Bristol, RI