Super Tech Oil Filter Similar to Mobil 1

• I was in Walmart recently picking up my oil and filter to change before my trip with my Wife to Yellowstone Park from Iowa.
    In another time I was loyal to the Super Tech oil filters from Walmart. Most certainly a quality product years ago. Then Walmart's in my area no longer carried them and I moved on to Purolator Pure One until Purolator changed their design. Then I started to use the Mobil 1 oil filters and that is what I have been using in my Slingshot and cars.
    Out of curiosity I started to open the different oil filters that would work in our Slingshots to compare them to the Mobil 1 M1C-151A. What really stood out to me was how remarkably similar the Super Tech ST9018 and Mobil 1 M1C-151A oil filters are. Seems to have the same media, robust end-caps, small "O" ring on tip of end-cap, and the same color and style writing on the end-cap. I did not count the number of pleats but the seam where the ends come together even look the same. It sure looks to be made the same but with the Super Tech label on it.
    I can not seem to find much info on the Super Tech filters for our Slingshots but from just the similarity's and past knowledge of the filter I am going to start using the ST9018 Super Tech filter in my Slingshot. The Mobil 1 filter is $13.75 and the Super Tech is $3.01. The end-caps of both filters are very thick and sturdy and look exactly the same. Compare them to the AC DELCO filter for our Slingshot as well as the filtering media and if you are using the AC Delco oil filter you may have second thoughts. I believe the AC DELCO filter is adequate but not even close for the look of quality, IMHO.
    Now I am not one to cheap out on my Oil changes. It still has to make me feel good I am using quality components. And by looking at how well made the ST9018 filter is, I believe I am.
    I wanted to post this information for others to maybe save a few dollars but still feel they are getting a quality part for their Slingshot and to see if anyone had an opinion or knowledge of this specific filter.
    And if anyone is interested, our 3800 mile round trip from Des Moines Iowa to the Yellowstone National park and area was better than we had hoped! Slingshot was more comfortable than our 2007 GL1800 Goldwing and felt more secure. We brought a smile to so many faces too, young and old, as we stopped to get gas or just drive by. I am not a very social person but it made me feel good to share the Slingshot with others. I believe we have found our new Summer touring ride!

If you get hit, it's because you were there.

• First I want to congratulate you on your trip! It sounds like ya'll had a great time and I'm glad ya did.

My comments on the oil filters doesn't really affect the slingshot filters but is directed more toward Super Tech filters specifically. Some years ago there was someone who did extensive research on oil filters of many brands that fit the GW. Super Tech was proven to be a very high quality product. After reading all the reports I changed over to them and used them exclusively on all my bikes for years. As it turned out I could use the same one on both my GW's, V*1100 Classic, ZX-14, and also my Kawasaki drag bike. The drag bike had and aftermarket filter relocation kit on it as did the Yamaha V*. Last year while preparing for a race I noticed that I was out of filters so I stopped by wallyworld and picked up a few of the Super Tech. Returning home I installed one of the new filters and noticed when it tightened up it was very abrupt. It didn't gradually get tighten like it normally does when it tightens up against just the o-ring but more like the threads bottomed out. Upon closer inspection the o-ring was not compressed and the threads were in fact bottomed out. I took the filter back off and compared it to the one that I was replacing. The center of the filter where it is threaded seemed to not be nearly as concave as the old one. I thought to myself "them folks must have put the end in upside down" so I reached and grabbed another new one. Same thing! Every one of them were that way. No they weren't assembled wrong, they had just changed the design slightly for some reason and they would no longer work with the relocation kit that I have on the drag bike. They still work fine on the GW and ZX-14. I have not tried one on the V*1100 yet but the moral of the story is while Super Tech has proven to be a good filter never assume anything, always check and compare, even if your using the same filter you have always used. Had I not caught that and went to the starting line with it it could have easily blown the gasket from underneath the filter leaving the starting line or anywhere on the run. I have crashed once down track because of oil going underneath the rear tire and don't care to do that again!

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• I'm particular about filters as well and have looked at the ST. It does look well made and probably is more than adequate for the 5000 mile changes we do on the SS. K&N looks good too...just overpriced. On my previous SS i used only AC Delco's made in USA with the name "Hengst" stamped on them and had a reputation of being an excellent filter. Some Delco's come from overseas and I don't know what their quality is so I wouldnt use them. After getting the current SS I bought a WIX and a Bosch; both look well made to me. The WIX went in at the 500mi change but I will be using Bosch's from now on simply because of better price from Rock Auto. For some reason I bought 6, around $5 each, which will be more than I will ever use! I think the Wix is avail from O'Reilly and prob other auto stores for about $8 or so.

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    Vanderhall Venice (traded for SLR Apr '18)
    '16.6 SLR LE (traded for Vanderhall Oct '17)
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling

• @Ghost, interesting you say the canister was concave than earlier filters you used in the Super Tech line. That is why I stopped using the Purolator Pure One oil filters. I too used those filters on my Goldwing, Hayabusa and 370z. But when they changed the desighn like you described I felt it would not seal as well on my motorcycles so I quit using them in anything I own.

@ulflyer, at one time the K&N oil filter was very similar, if not the same filter, as the Mobil One oil filter. Not sure about the manufacture of them now. I Don't use anything K&N because of how they market their air filter. That thing flows very well but lets a damaging amount of particles slip by. I feel they filter better after using them for several thousand miles to give them a chance to get the gauze dirty enough to catch the debris from entering your engine. I have no proof but I suspect their oil filter lets more debris get past the filter media so they can, advertise their oil filters as high flowing. To get a high flow rate you most likely need to give up filtering ability.

Also, Interesting what you said about the AC DELCO oil filter and location of manufacture effecting differences in quality. I did not look at origin of manufacture concerning filter mentioned in my original post. I just looked how the outside appearance looked compared to the Mobil One and the Super Tech. I didn't see anything wrong with the filter, just not as robust as the other two filters mentioned.

I really enjoy oil related threads. It does seem it annoys some people, and I understand, because some if not most is a rehash of old ideas. For me, anyway, it seems there is always some information I had not heard of or opinions that are new to me.
    Thank you all for sharing!

If you get hit, it's because you were there.