Hahn Turbo – Installation, support and general comments

• This thread is attempting to redirect discussions being addressed in the Hahn SST Turbo System Group Buy Thread.

A request from: @rabtech below:

I just wanted to drop in here and get someone to give me the cliffs note version of where everyone evolved in this thread is with their purchase and install and engine running status.

If someone has a minutes can they post a 1. 2. 3. kinda of list for me on this..

A reply from: @SaltyClownNY below:

I'll try and see if anyone has input...

Hate to do this in a list as there is more to it, but that is what you asked for:

• Group buy introduced January 11th
    • Group buy closed February 18th. Bill gave February 20th as target start date.
    • March 20th rolled around. A good many of us got some add ons that extended time a bit, but took much longer than that. I may have been the first to get mine on May 1st, but I had a 90 day window with my credit card and I wasn't going to let that go by. So I'll say May 1st was that start of the full orders coming in.
    • I'll say just to have a round date, July 1st is the date which all units (hopefully) have been received for the most part. There are some units that need parts, but Bill supplied "work arounds" until they are complete.
    • We've got one in CA that hasn't done the install yet. There were two "issues" that Bill worked out which was the smoking due to engine block pressure and the tune file which caused very rich situation and just needed to have a new tune file. There were a few odds and ends that were more or less install issues that we all worked to help resolve including Bill.
    • So just a few parts still outstanding... Maybe?

I'm sure a lot of us can fill in a lot of personal frustrations, but I believe for the most part everyone is good... I think.

A comment from me: soluga:

Although Bill had issues with delivery dates and communications regarding the recent group buy, he does eventually deliver. He has provided good product support for the installation and trouble shooting to date for a number of the parties in the group buy and a number of people have made these comments in the other thread.

So with the above stated perhaps we can use this thread to carry on the good active conversation in regard to the Hahn Turbo – Installation, support and general comments. Some parties that have been in the other thread include ( I may have missed a couple):

@Cobra66man @SSREAPER @WrongWheelDrive @slingo @BKL SaltyClownNY @sharps4065 @funinthesun @Casey_SS @Pascal @edwardaneal @Neosolidus @MACAWS @Ghost TravAZ @SlingLow @Orangeman @WOLF ericastar76 @@'Slingrazor' @MiM

@rabtech An attempt to redirect at least?

• Let me know if there are specific questions, I just finished my install over the weekend.
    Pretty straight forward overall, couple of hiccups but easy fixes.

Sure will do, thank you. I have a nag into my mechanic to see if i can get the install sooner. I would love to view the video you mentioned?

• I am just happy you guys are happy. I don't own this kit and probably wouldn't recommend it (unless used at a great price), especially with the Port Fueler setup.

Hopefully all of the issues are squared away and you guys have good luck on the tuning side for the Port Fueler setup!

Boost away!

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• OK... John made me do it. Here is...

Hard pull in 2nd until 6500RPMs were hit and then hard pull in 3rd to 6K, then shut it off and coasted into driveway. Pulled the plugs. Now the picture is a "little" misleading, but essentially cylinder 4 was "wet", but not sure I understand why the wetness didn't dissipate that fast if it were gas, but not much more it can be. Very odd. Cylinder 1 looks a bit off from 2 & 3, but I think it may be the picture as they looked VERY close in real life. Cylinder 4 was the one that was questionable. You can see the pool coming off of it.

Cylinder 4 is on left, Cylinder 1 on right... in order.

And keep in mind this is just one test with one sling. Would be interesting to see how stock systems burn and or other systems / brands. This is using the FIC piggyback system.

:00000436:
    Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

Edited once, last by SaltyClownNY ().

• John
    2017 SL LE Midnight Cherry
    :COILOVERSS::TURBOSS::MOTOROILSS::FILTERSS::COLDAIRSS::DONKEYSS:

• Just a note, the plugs above have about 3K miles on them with the Hahn system. Think they look OK. Going to check to see if the 4th injector is just over injecting by moving it to Cylinder 3... maybe end of next week.

Reason why we are looking at this is more so to judge how well the air intake distributes the airflow into each cylinder. The thought was that if more air goes into cylinder 4, it will cause a lean condition. At the moment, it looks good to me and is more so running rich and not lean.

Success is a lousy teacher. It seduces smart people into thinking they can't lose. - Bill Gates

• Just a note, the plugs above have about 3K miles on them with the Hahn system. Think they look OK. Going to check to see if the 4th injector is just over injecting by moving it to Cylinder 3... maybe end of next week.

Reason why we are looking at this is more so to judge how well the air intake distributes the airflow into each cylinder. The thought was that if more air goes into cylinder 4, it will cause a lean condition. At the moment, it looks good to me and is more so running rich and not lean.

@SaltyClownNY Thanks for testing this for me!

John

• Something came up recently and I would like to take a survey of Hahn turbo's and smoke???

Bill recently told me the following, here is the direct quote from Bill On Thursday, July 12, 2018 at 7:35pm
    " Your exhaust system choice ultimately was why the PCV needed to be replicated to alleviate the smoking. We've now only seen this occur with Welter exhaust, and if you recall, the takeaway was that the use of the Welter exhaust with our turbosystem was why you'rs and @SaltyClownNY smoked."

I would like to review your setup if you are running Hahn turbo with the PortFueler intake system:

• Are you running WP Exhaust?
    • Did you install the PCV modification?
    • Did you get smoke?

I felt kind of blindsided when this was brought to my attention, it was referenced it was the combination of the WP Exhaust and his PortFueler setup that caused the smoke and only that specific setup smoked.

Therefore I would like to get feedback about this?

John

• @Casey_SS, Bill did the install of my turbo and port fueler system. He also installed his dual side exhaust with magnaflow muffler. He used my slingshot to do the final mapping so I have had absolutely no issues with performance or smoking. My only issue is that when he installed the AEM failsafe gauge and the portfueler, he didn't install the usb cables so I can data log. I either call or text him a couple of times a day and he has completely gone off the grid. I am trying to support the guy but no matter how good or how much of a value his system is, the lack of customer support is making it hard to support him.

• - I have the WP Exhaust
    - I did install the PCV modification
    - Had smoke, now don't.

I don't necessarily agree with Bill's assessment however. I would add the following facts (please correct any if you disagree):

• stock engine block operates at a higher pressure than a forged block
    • the stock air intake has a PCV built into it to deal with pressure
    • Bills air intake manifold as I received it plugs the stock PCV hole
    • Welter exhaust is longer than stock and or Bill's exhaust and probably has more back pressure because of it.

Now in my opinion, it's the combination of the above that caused the TURBO to leak oil... which is what caused the smoking. But are any one of the above to blame more than others? I'd say if anything, the air intake manifold blocking the hole for the stock PCV was the cause of it and the others in combination are what led the turbo to not be able to drain the oil properly. Once a new (and replacement to stock) PCV was put in place, it appeared to take care of it, but the stock engine block is just as much to blame as WP exhaust. It's up to the vendor to supply a fix and Bill did just that, but to call out the WP exhaust is probably a bit unfair. If it were me and I had no smoke and using Bills exhaust and I didn't have the PCV valve, I'd be more inclined to put one in and I did recommend to Bill to send one out in all the other kits he sold. Not sure if that happened or not, but that is between Bill and them. Just an interesting data point. It's not like the "fix" of adding the PCV was expensive. I think it was under $20 total... or something like that.

• In light of the the installation.

I'm curious who still has stuff remaining to be received to complete there install??
    If you're running with a workaround please also list that.

I myself if you recall, had Bills PortFueler wiring harness fall apart. I bypassed the plug that fell apart and directly soldered the wire around the plug.

Bill promised me a new wiring harness, that I"m still waiting for.

I'm very scared more wires will fall out of his wiring harness. If I had not caught it upon installation. My #1 cylinder injector would not have been working, which would have blown my motor.

John

• Hey, go ask that on the group buy thread. This is the tech installation support thread! We don't need no stinkin' group buy conversation here LOL.

:saint:

<choke>.... John's loosing his wires... thought it was supposed to be marbles... And just for clarification, it was NOT a wiring harness I had anything to do with... just sayin' ..

• @SaltyClownNY You need to figure out what is dripping off that spark plug. That isn't normal and is not good. Is it fuel, oil, or coolant?
    Not sure if you have ever seen this, but it is a good old read that relates to spark plugs and Slingshots.
    https://www.slingshotforums.co…un-with-spark-plugs.8603/

From this info and my experience with a couple of different Alpha Turbo kit, I have chosen the below spark plug to be best for my setup.
    https://www.jegs.com/i/Brisk-USA/084/RR14S/10002/-1
    This is what I used to run...
    https://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=30369
    Make sure to note that both plugs are two steps colder than the stock plugs. 1 step colder is probably just fine too.

Also, forged motors/blocks don't necessarily always run less compression (pressure) than a stock block. It depends what you put into the engine and how you build it. My old built motor was setup to run a compression ratio of 9.5, compared to the stock 10.4 compression. Just because someone is running a forged motor, it doesn't mean they made the right choices in lowering the compression and opened up the piston ring gaps.

I would agree the PCV issue is the main issue causing smoke and should be included in all Port Fueler kits. The varying exhaust back-pressure probably makes certain setups worse, but they all likely would benefit from a PCV setup as stock intended. I am sure the Welter has quite a bit of back pressure from the length and size of the pipe. I can see a small difference on power and detonation on the Alpha turbo kit from changing the side exhaust to their race exhaust.

• I had the crap BOV valve, today I received the TurboSmart Supersonic. Hahn refers to it as the Billet Blow Off Valve

I only played with it for a short time as its getting to dark to be running around with the deer out there.

But at first it seemed to be set to hard. Free reeving in the garage I never go the woosh. I backed it off from the hard setting to softer settings. Then started getting some woosh. I noticed that the valve was staying open just a little prior to settling to ide. So I adjusted it a little harder. Now I get a little woosh and it seems to close at idl.

Quick road test... wow, it now stutters at full throttle which it did not do with the "stock" hahn BOV, but I got woosh.

Anybody know how to adjust it so I get smoothness back like I had with the "stock" BOV???

Thanks,

John

• Regarding the PCV valve, mine is loud as a MF, at idle it chatters. I can hear the ball bearing inside it rattling around. If I put my hand on it I can feel it vibrating, a cheap whore might actually enjoy it.

Any way...

Anybody else have a noisy PCV valve?

I going to go to Napa and try another one.

John

• The Tial blow off valves that we run on the Alpha kits stay open at idle around 1/8 of an inch. They also use a 10psi spring.
    https://www.jegs.com/i/Pro-Dia…LvpnqSX-I2CQaAsLXEALw_wcB