Mirror Vibration Controversy

• Seems like it is always the Driver side. Passenger side only shakes on bumpy or rough road. Driver side vibrates with engine vibration.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

Dochatley
    Dallas, Texas

• The passenger side never had been an issue. @Slingrazor do you remember when I told @Ruptured Duck how to take the mirror apart on the inside by moving the mirror around and using a torx years ago and also warned him about the mirror being double sided taped on... and how that worked out for him.... ;(

That was a long time ago........ wow the memories.....

good thing it was a spare mirror.
    I had to do a few prototypes for my relocation brackets to reduce vibration.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• Mine have vibrated since the day I left the dealership. Come to think about it, my mirrors vibrated like mad on my SV650, my R1, My GSX600R, and about 3 or 4 other slingshots I have been in. lol. Just kind of a given I thought since there is little to no insulation or dampening material in an open air vehicle.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• Mine have vibrated since the day I left the dealership. Come to think about it, my mirrors vibrated like mad on my SV650, my R1, My GSX600R, and about 3 or 4 other slingshots I have been in. lol. Just kind of a given I thought since there is little to no insulation or dampening material in an open air vehicle.

I double checked how "flimsy" my mirrors were on the SS and they seem to have been mounted very securely. I can actually barely move the mirrors to adjust for field of view. That attachment seems to be extremely tight. I have 2018 though.

• I have seen differences in the mirror head attachment. Some easy to move others stiff as hell. Doing top installs you end up playing with quite a few. I believe any vibration for all models might stem from the way the mirror body is designed and attaches to the aluminum arms. We are talking about maybe 1/8" thick plastic attached with M6 bolts (some Phillips, some torx) with maybe 1/2" washers to spread the load. These bolts are about 1.5" appart (if memory serves). There is gonna be flexing and vibration. Add to this the loose mirror heads and you will have some vibrate more than others. Also the face design will cause visual vibration in one but not the other if installed onto the same arm.

Proud supporter of S.O.G.

(Slingshot Owners Group)

:thumbsup:

Owner/operator: MeanSling LLC :thumbsup:

• I double checked how "flimsy" my mirrors were on the SS and they seem to have been mounted very securely. I can actually barely move the mirrors to adjust for field of view. That attachment seems to be extremely tight. I have 2018 though.

It's weird...adjusting them is hard...but while driving...the drivers side just bounces around.

Actively looking for another sling...It is time...

• But several people here disagree with your assessment. They are saying it's NOT common at all.

As much as the Slingshot is put together assembly line style what a lot of early adopters found (because we have more 2015 and 2016 owners on the forum than 2017 and 2018) is that there could be wide differences in fitment - just review body panel fitment threads for a taste of the diversity.

To be honest, I'm not surprised many have not seen it nor that many have - there are few truly stock rides out there. I think even @EjFord might have the mirror extendors, convex mirrors, and JRI coil overs which could be enough to diminish vibrations or even accentuate

The good news is that the fix is so simple that most do not suffer or they have learned to live with it

• Just my 2 cents... For those with vibrating mirrors, I say use SlingRazor's mirror glass removal technique of using a hot air gun with nylon spudgers to carefully loosen the double-sided stick tape attaching the glass to it's plastic frame. Then, once the glass is removed, you can adjust the screw (circled) which holds the plastic frame to it's "gimbal" mount (circled). Maybe the screw has come loose, there's not enough tension, or the fit between the plastic frame and it's mount needs some adjustment with a dremel or X-acto blade... The mount may also be loose -- but you'll be able to easily determine this once everything's apart...

• On my last trip both my driver side and passenger side mirrors vibrated to different positions.

I could reach out and fix the driver side but not the passenger side. After 10 minutes the driver side needed adjusting again.

Are there any after market mirrors out there yet? Is there a way to secure the actual mirror in place?