Jared & Ross & Randy & Doug's Excellent Adventure

• This is the second "lessons learned" post in what I think will be a series of three, after my cross-country trip these past two weeks. This is written from my experience and is just an opinion, so if you disagree with me, have at it. I've already written a little bit about this and some other post in this thread, but I've managed to get all my thoughts in one place, so I wanted to share it again.

This post is about TOOLS. I've gotten a lot of questions, so I'll try to address the high points, and leave it open for discussion

1. I tend to try to be very self-sufficient, but on a trip like this with the limited space you have, it is pretty much impossible to carry it all. Obviously, everybody should have their own basic set of tools, such as a socket set and Torx wrenches. However, when it comes to do the larger things, like maybe an onboard air compressor, or a foldable tire iron, it's good to coordinate those among the members of your group so that you don't have to carry a bunch of extra weight. We did this amongst the three of us, kind of by accident, but it was a good thing we did.

2. Spare tire. I've addressed this several times, it seems to be quite common. I brought a folding lug wrench to be able to tighten lug nuts if they came loose on the highway, which has happened to me before. I brought a slime kit with the bottle of slime and the small compressor to reinflate a tire. However, it's not practical to try to bring a spare tire for the slingshot, and the number of times I have heard it needed from someone on a long trip is nearly zilch. If you are dragging a trailer, and have the room, then maybe, but if you are dragging a trailer, I would be more worried about a spare for the trailer.

3. Tool storage. This is again entirely up to you, but I found a waterproof box by MTM, and put the smaller stuff in there. I deliberately set it up so that all my tools fit in the compartment behind my seat. That was pretty much the only place for tools and fluids.

4. Tool list. Here's what I brought with me, as best I can remember. Two different Torx sets, one of which was a folding handset, and the other was small bits that go into a ratchet. A compact socket set, a small adjustable wrench, a larger set of vice grips, a medium size needle-nose pliers, a medium-sized set of wire snips, a container of zip ties, a folding four-way lug wrench, a quart of oil, a bottle of Dot 4 brake fluid, half a bottle of Dexos engine coolant, some Lucas products for the gas tank, multiple coarse and fine (chamois) rags, duct tape, disposable nitrile gloves, an extendable magnet wand to pick up dropped objects, road flares, Slime kit with bottle of green slime and 12V compressor, first aid kit, couple of different flashlights, spare LED headlights, Allen wrenches, spare fuses of all sizes, and jumper cables.

5. Things I wished I had. WD-40, a flat head and a Phillips screwdriver or at least a bit to go in the ratchet, some 91% rubbing alcohol, waterless hand cleaner...and not really much else I can think of. My travel partners had similarly full gear lists, and we covered just about everything. One other thing that would have been nice if I had the room, but it's not really a tool, is some of the cleaning products that we used throughout the trip to keep the Slings from being too disgusting. Because I was carrying tools, and a lot of stuff for the gathering in Sundre, I didn't have the room for cleaning material, so I relied on the guys I was traveling with, and used a lot of their products.

So that's it for now, happy to discuss further if anyone has thoughts on the topic.

• This is the last "lessons learned" post in the series of three, after my cross-country trip these past two weeks. As before, this is written from my experience and is just an opinion, so if you disagree with me, have at it.

This post is about things I sceewed up, or got lucky on. The bottom line is, whether it was luck or planning, I had very few things truly go sideways on me, or on us. I give a lot of credit to my traveling partners, because together the three of us thought of things that anyone of us didn't.

1. Coffee mug. Most people recommended an insulated mug, and I have one. I personally feel that brand is largely unimportant, but what is not an important is to have some kind of cover on your drinking hole. I did not. That liquid and around the mouthpiece covered up with bugs and grime so quickly, I might as well have rolled it in the sandbox. Next time I will have a sliding lid that covers up the drinking hole.

2. Batteries. Specifically, for the video camera I was trying out. I didn't check the batteries ahead of time, and by the time I got on the road and realize they wouldn't hold a charge, it was too late. Not a common battery, needed 5 days to get it from Amazon. Oh, well. A minor disappointment for some, could have been a major disappointment for others. Lesson learned, check your tech before you go.

3. A cooler of some kind. I use a heavy backpack, one of my favorites, and I just froze all my liquids ahead of time. Didn't work too badly, but there were definitely days that my liquids were warmer sooner that I would have liked. Not necessarily a huge issue, if you don't mind bumming ice out of all of the gas stations you pass. Definitely an inconvenience, though. Maybe next time I'll carry a small collapsible cooler, just to try a little better.

4. Layers. Specifically, windproof ones. This is one I got lucky on, because I have always dress in layers. I didn't realize just how cool it would be a couple of the mornings, up in the thin and dry air. I had enough clothes, but just barely. Next time, maybe one more later. Lesson for me, pay attention to the weather in the place of you are going, and then add a layer.

5. Tires. I have a Kenda 305 and a Nitto 315 that I swap between, and try to equalize time on. I previously decided to drive the Nitto. Definitely the right call. Not *once* did it slip or spin in the rain or wet roads. (I won't say I didn't deliberately spin it that one time on purpose...) It was the right call for me. I know it's not the best tire, but it was great for me. ALSO, I considered doing a laser alignment on the front end before I went. The front tracks fine, but both tires are toed in slightly. I didn't do the alignment. I should have. The outer 1/3 of the front wheels are past the wear bars, while the inside portions....aren't. Oh well, time for new tires.

So that's it for now. Like I said, pretty minor in the grand scheme of things, and I give a lot of credit to the help I got from my traveling partners and the folks on the forum. Open for discussion.

• Thursday, July 26, 2018
    Part 1 - Glacier National Park to Sundre

I'll be honest - I'm going to post a lot of photos from Glacier. A LOT OF PHOTOS. You have to understand, I love Glacier National Park (GNP) - it is the most amazing place in the US. I apologize if you don't find it as incredible as I do.

If you are within 12 hours of GNP you need to do everything within your power to get there - even if it is only for a 3 hour visit.

A couple of quick tips for GNP:

• Going To The Sun highway usually opens in late June/early July
    • The tourists have found GNP so if you go - go at sun-up or you'll struggle to get to the cool spots. If you have the luxury go in late August or early September when kids are back in school - place in the park like Many Glacier close in mid-September and don't be surprised if you get snow. Check out this recent article about the dramatic shift in visitors enjoying the park https://missoulian.com/news/lo…0c-95e8-20b076fedee1.html
    • Stay in a park lodge if you can afford it - built by the Great Northwest Railroad they are absolutely magnificent
    • Check out Two Medicine and Many Glacier for some of the lesser known hot spots. Many Glacier is awesome but the road to get there hasn't been repaired in decades and is full of potholes the size of Honda Civics. Visit Logan's Pass to see the Continental Divide and Hidden Lake. Visit the Trail of the Cedars and Avalanche Lake. Take the hike north east of Lake McDonald lodge and check out McDonald Falls. Take the small boat trip across Swiftcurrent Lake and the hike to see Salamander Glacier but leave early so you can make it there and back without missing the last boat!

Some - fast paced videos through the for the day .... photos will cover it better

• The Back Way Into Glacier
    • Going To The Sun Highway at Mach 1
    • Going To The Sun Highway - Just Out of The Clouds
    • The route around GNP
    • Run for the border
    • Rolling into Sundre
  • but still rollin with a flip phone?

It was not long ago Ross that Mitch was using a flip GPS. He finally gave in and upgraded to a modern Garmin GPS. Mitch now has a modern Garmin VIRB video camera and GPS. I think the phone upgrade is next. Wait until he finds out that he could operate his VIRB Video camera with a new I-Phone.

Part II - Glacier National Park to Sundre

What an epic day this will be. We're headed to GNP and we've got @SlingLow along with us

Up and moving early to avoid the crowds

Even the sunrise has us starting out on the right foot

Montana cattle are up and grazing ... I'm thinking beef for dinner

We're taking the St Mary's entrance into GNP which means we have to cut through the Blackfeet Indian Reservation - no big deal except for the open range cattle on some nice twisty roads

And we arrive

Oh nooo - maybe a storm brewing - I hope not. Nah the roads were wet on the way in so this is just the last cloud moving through ...... right?

Up the mountain we go

Wait - it doesn't seem to be moving very fast

Part III - Glacier National Park to Sundre

Maybe there is hope

Last time I saw it like this I got caught in a small snow storm. What a disappointment - dang

You can barley see Wild Goose Island. The mountains rise 4,000 feet from water's edge making this one of the most photographed locations in Montana ... but not today

Back on the road we go

Part IV - Glacier National Park to Sundre

It's not looking good - I'm crushed a little inside

You can barley see the water flowing down the mountain by the sides of the Slingshots

What! Wait! It's a cloud - and we're passing through it

What a thick monster that was

Still snow on the side of the road - they only finished plowing Going To The Sun the weekend before 4th of July

I hope the fellas can see far enough in front to see that this is going to clear out

Looking at the clouds path you can't see anything through it

Part V - Glacier National Park to Sundre

Needless to say, we take the first set of pullouts we can find and begin to take it all in

@KayTwo grabbed a video showing the cloud rolling over the mountain top - I can't wait for him to send it to me and @SlingLow looks to be amazed by it all as well

Clear as can be to the valley floor

glad we found a parking spot

From Wikipedia .... Construction began in 1921 and was completed in 1932 with formal dedication in the following summer on July 15, 1933. The road is one of the most difficult roads in North America to snowplow in the spring. Up to 80 feet (24 m) of snow can lie on top of Logan Pass, and more just east of the pass where the deepest snowfield has long been referred to as the Big Drift. The road takes about ten weeks to plow, even with equipment that can move 4,000 tons of snow in an hour. The snowplow crew can clear as little as 500 feet (150 m) of the road per day. On the east side of the Continental Divide, there are few guardrails due to heavy snows and the resultant late winter avalanches that have repeatedly destroyed every protective barrier ever constructed.

Unbelievable the ability of man in the early 20's

Surely another reason to consider GNP as a little piece of heaven on earth

Like a giant panda paw stretching over the peaks

Part VII - Glacier National Park to Sundre

Just pouring over the peaks

The runoff of melting snow has slowed but in late June and early July this can get you wet in your car if your windows are down

A steady stream even in late July

You've seen it in several photos but there is Bird Woman Falls

And the famous Red Buses that provide transportation throughout the park - if I remember right, they are all LP powered

A portal view at one of the tunnels - with someone hot on my tail

Part VIII - Glacier National Park to Sundre

Even an hour later, it is still engulfing the mountains

I'm sure whatever @KayTwo was saying was dead on balls accurate

Off towards Lake McDonald

Fast forward a few hours and we're in Canada ehh. Fields and fields of canola [we'll visit that topic more on our return trip]

Greeted with open arms and warm hearts we rolled into West West RV Park and found a few momento's so that we never forget the incredible people we will meet over the next few days

• It was not long ago Ross that Mitch was using a flip GPS. He finally gave in and upgraded to a modern Garmin GPS. Mitch now has a modern Garmin VIRB video camera and GPS. I think the phone upgrade is next. Wait until he finds out that he could operate his VIRB Video camera with a new I-Phone.

Flip GPS ... that's a sextant right - you know @MACAWS, he's all about that bleeding edge technology from the 1800's