Engine stumbles when backing

• This afternoon, for the second time, my sling started stumbling when I put it in reverse. We had stopped for a brake and when we got back in, fired up the engine and put it in reverse. While backing up the engine stutters as if the fuel or ignition is being shut off. This is the second time I have encountered this. Any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• It does that if you back up too fast. If you're backing slowly and it's happening it could be a speed sensor thinking you're going fast.

#02828 January 2015 build date.
    Here to assist anyone in the Denver area.

• It does that if you back up too fast. If you're backing slowly and it's happening it could be a speed sensor thinking you're going fast.

Just Amy normal, cautious blackout. Both times slightly up hill.

John
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

SOG supporter

• This afternoon, for the second time, my sling started stumbling when I put it in reverse. We had stopped for a brake and when we got back in, fired up the engine and put it in reverse. While backing up the engine stutters as if the fuel or ignition is being shut off. This is the second time I have encountered this. Any suggestions?

Owners manual states: "CAUTION! The reverse speed limit feature limits reverse operation to 10 MPH (16 km/h). Do not attempt to exceed this speed. If the engine seems to “cut out”, vehicle speed is exceeding the limit. Reduce throttle and slow down. Exceeding the limit could result in vehicle instability."

• mine does the same thing from time to time - and I dont think I have been going 10 mph, but I guess it does

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I think you will find that there is a speed limit in reverse that is based on engine rpm, not actual speed. If you are slipping the clutch in reverse and going up hill, you probably tend to feed in a bit more throttle to prevent a stall and that trips the reverse nanny.

2016 Bluefire LE, the fastest color. :D:BLUESS:

• I think you will find that there is a speed limit in reverse that is based on engine rpm, not actual speed. If you are slipping the clutch in reverse and going up hill, you probably tend to feed in a bit more throttle to prevent a stall and that trips the reverse nanny.

That must be it. We couldn’t have been going more than 1 or 2 mph.

John
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

SOG supporter

• While we're on this subject, The Polaris off road vehicles have this 'feature' but have a button to override it when you need 4-wheel drive in reverse. It runs at normal throttle when activated. Has anyone explored the ability to override the limiter on the Slingshot?

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• While we're on this subject, The Polaris off road vehicles have this 'feature' but have a button to override it when you need 4-wheel drive in reverse. It runs at normal throttle when activated. Has anyone explored the ability to override the limiter on the Slingshot?

That would be a really bad Idea with a reverse trike ....

First person who did a J-hook turn (or turned while reversing downhill a bit fast) would flip it over..... this (while a bit over intrusive) is one Slingshot nanny I agree with ......

..... confused-squared

:REDSS: The ghost of SLingshot past ......

• Great post, I had the same thing backing up hill into a parking spot. Wife thought I had serious motor issues. Going home all was well.
    Great explanation here, I knew there was a reverse nanny, but didn't think about revs. Yes, I was slipping the clutch backing between 2 other cars.
    Thanks for the great info

The trouble with bucket seats is not everyone has the same size 'bucket'.