weird question

• I have been pulling together a small tool box of tools just for my Slingshot and as I was sitting here trying to decide what last things I should throw in I thought about including my Snap-on screw drivers and it dawned on me

Are there any traditional flat head or philips head screws on the Slingshot?

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• I think there are a few. I know I keep a slotted and a phillips screwdriver tip in my ratchet handle driver.

I know I can always use a flat head to pop out the snap fasteners, but for the life of me I dont recall seeing any philips head screws

• I believe on some they used a Philips head for the lower roll hoop covers for the two top screws. Some are torques and some are Philips.
    Not to stir the pot but who the hell invented the Philips screw head? It's got to be the worst screw made. In Canada we have the Robertson screw and it is so far superior as for being able to get a good grip and torque the screws without stripping the head

• I believe on some they used a Philips head for the lower roll hoop covers for the two top screws. Some are torques and some are Philips.
    Not to stir the pot but who the hell invented the Philips screw head? It's got to be the worst screw made. In Canada we have the Robertson screw and it is so far superior as for being able to get a good grip and torque the screws without stripping the head

My sling is at the dealer so I cant check right now - - as to philips head I have to agree that they suck - way to easy strip

I believe Henry Ford invented the Phillips head screw. As I recall reading it was designed to keep the guys on the assembly line from over torquing the screws that were holding wood to metal. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone will correct me. LOL

UPDATE: After doing a little reading I came up with this,

Robertson Screw
    In 1908, square-drive screws were invented by Canadian P. L. Robertson. Twenty-eight years before Henry Phillips patented his Phillips head screws, which are also square-drive screws.The Robertson screw is considered the "first recess-drive type fastener practical for production usage." The design became a North American standard, as published in the sixth edition of Industrial Fasteners Institute Metric and Inch Standards. A square-drive head on a screw can be better than a slot head because the screwdriver will not slip out of the screw's head during installation. The Model T carmade by the Ford Motor Company (one of Robertson's first customers) used over seven hundred Robertson screws.Phillips Head Screw
    In the early 1930s, the Phillips head screw was invented by Henry Phillips. Automobile manufacturers now used car assembly lines. They needed screws that could take greater torque and could provide tighter fastenings. The Phillips head screw was compatible with the automated screwdrivers used in assembly line.Ironically, there is a Philips Screw Company that never made Phillips screws or drivers. Henry Phillips died in 1958 at the age of sixty-eight.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

Edited once, last by Ghost ().

• I have run into the robertson type wood screws on furniture before, but I never knew what they were called. do they use them in automotive applications?

• I have a ton of tools, 1/2 inch drive and 3/8 SAE and all kinds of other things, but I have been trying to put together a small box of tools of just the tools I may need to work on my Slingshot - I just like the idea of having one box I can grab and knowing what I will need will be in there

So anyway here is what I have separated to go in my Slingshot tool box. I am thinking its pretty complete, but if I am missing something I will need please let me know

3/8 ratchet, breaker bar & torque wrench with 3 inch and 6 inch extensions.
    3/8 drive 6 point metric sockets 10mm through 19mm in both normal sockets and deep sockets, a 5/8 spark plug socket & 32mm oil filter socket
    3/8 drive T20, T25, T30 & T40 torx bits
    metric combination wrench set 6mm through 18mm
    allen wrench set 1.5mm through 10mm
    crescent wrench, channel locks wire cutter wire stripper & long nose
    snap-on flat head & philips head screwdrivers & a tape measure

These tools are only intended for day to day maintenance and installing mods - I have no intention of attempting big jobs like tearing down the motor or other jobs that require specialized tools - I will leave those things to the dealer

So, keeping that in mind, what am I missing?

• That is just about everything that I carry, but in 1/4 inch drive. Short wrenches in standard and metric up to around 5/8 inch. Also the allen and star bits to fit the 1/4 inch drive with the short and 4 inch extension. It all fits in the Ace Hardware water proof box that is about 2 x 5 x 8 inch. The smaller box has a few electrical items in it. The boxes fit perfect on the pass. side storage in the step down or just put you a piece of the tool box liner under the pass. seat and the boxes fit under the seat without sliding around. Also you do not need the torque wrench, a short pull handle to replace that. The boxes are sold at Ace Hardware as a pair the smaller box inside of the larger box. You will be surprised how much will fit in them if you do not carry full size tools. I also carry the small Slime compressor and the tire plug kit under the pass. roll bar.

• That is just about everything that I carry, but in 1/4 inch drive. Short wrenches in standard and metric up to around 5/8 inch. Also the allen and star bits to fit the 1/4 inch drive with the short and 4 inch extension. It all fits in the Ace Hardware water proof box that is about 2 x 5 x 8 inch. The smaller box has a few electrical items in it. The boxes fit perfect on the pass. side storage in the step down or just put you a piece of the tool box liner under the pass. seat and the boxes fit under the seat without sliding around. Also you do not need the torque wrench, a short pull handle to replace that. The boxes are sold at Ace Hardware as a pair the smaller box inside of the larger box. You will be surprised how much will fit in them if you do not carry full size tools. I also carry the small Slime compressor and the tire plug kit under the pass. roll bar.

the set of tools mentioned above are not intended to be carried in my slingshot - they are for working at home.

In the slingshot all I carry is a folding set of torx wrenches, a leatherman, tire pressure gauge and my AAA card

• So slingshot has a motorcycle license plate. So I can drive in carpool lane even though I don't have a passenger ?

Technically, yes. IF the signage allows it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• Most of the wood screws that are available in Canada are robertson head. The square head is made different sizes and are numbered and colour coded.

I have a bunch of those bits in several different drill kits I've bought over the years. Never knew what they were for. Should have known they'd be French. Same diff. :00008172: