Oversteer and understeer

• Has anyone had Polaris do your alignment? If so how did they do it?

After the steering rack replacement, destroyed the front tires in 600 miles. Realigned and new tires, still a little dodgy at high speed. Laser alignment and feels great, front tires have 15K and no uneven wear.

• Having the steering go back to center would be nice since we are all used to that from all our other vehicles

I did the "otter" mod back in 2015, works great. Steering goes back to center as normal. Need to change the shims around and replace the bolts. Can't remember the process, but I do remember it was easy. Someone on here might post the way it's done. It was posted on the dark side. Stay safe

• I did the "otter" mod back in 2015, works great. Steering goes back to center as normal. Need to change the shims around and replace the bolts. Can't remember the process, but I do remember it was easy. Someone on here might post the way it's done. It was posted on the dark side. Stay safe

I know I am going to totally regret making this post but....listen guys...I am an ASE Master Certified Mechanic ...especially alignments....we perform 30 alignments a day and I dont care what vehicle type you are aligning...the principals all remain and act the same. If we had a way to repeatedly and correctly measure and adjust the caster angle I would be all for it. Unfortunately we do not. I have one of the most sophisticated laser alignment machines built and have been on the phone with the manufacturer about getting the slingshot added to the abilities of it and I have been told "it has been discussed and is in progress"....who knows when or if it will happen. What I know for a fact is that, if you start changing the shims blindly without knowing what the angles are to begin with and ending with you CAN screw things up.
    I took my sling which in my PROFESSIONAL opinion was a deathtrap in the drive ability dept. in regards to the steering. Mine hunted all over the place and I fought it every step of the way and it was no fun to drive...took it and had it laser aligned by someone who was trained to do so and sat 5 feet from the guy and watched. it took him about 45 min to complete and he checked the measurements multiple time for repeat ability and accuracy...double checked the math and then made the adjustments. The actual adjustments only took 10 min of that time.
    When I took my sling for a drive it was a completely different vehicle....it was pure pleasure. The ONLY ANGLE ADJUSTED was the toe on the front.
    Before everybody starts disassembling the front end of their sling I urge you to get it laser aligned first and see if at that point you are not completely satisfied.

Everything I have said is what 20+ years of training and experience has taught me. Glean from it what you wish or throw it all out the window. I just want everybody to make informed decisions.

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• I know I am going to totally regret making this post

Hey bud, don't regret anything, all good info. :thumbup: I'm happy with mine and changed the shims early in 15'. I did a laser alignment when the laser became available in late 15' early 16'. I know nothing about mechanics and relay on people that do know. Where the heck were you in 2015??? ;(:D I have no tire wear and everything tracks well, but I may change it back with this knowledge. Thanks

• I know I am going to totally regret making this post but....listen guys...I am an ASE Master Certified Mechanic ...especially alignments....we perform 30 alignments a day and I dont care what vehicle type you are aligning...the principals all remain and act the same. If we had a way to repeatedly and correctly measure and adjust the caster angle I would be all for it. Unfortunately we do not. I have one of the most sophisticated laser alignment machines built and have been on the phone with the manufacturer about getting the slingshot added to the abilities of it and I have been told "it has been discussed and is in progress"....who knows when or if it will happen. What I know for a fact is that, if you start changing the shims blindly without knowing what the angles are to begin with and ending with you CAN screw things up.I took my sling which in my PROFESSIONAL opinion was a deathtrap in the drive ability dept. in regards to the steering. Mine hunted all over the place and I fought it every step of the way and it was no fun to drive...took it and had it laser aligned by someone who was trained to do so and sat 5 feet from the guy and watched. it took him about 45 min to complete and he checked the measurements multiple time for repeat ability and accuracy...double checked the math and then made the adjustments. The actual adjustments only took 10 min of that time.
    When I took my sling for a drive it was a completely different vehicle....it was pure pleasure. The ONLY ANGLE ADJUSTED was the toe on the front.
    Before everybody starts disassembling the front end of their sling I urge you to get it laser aligned first and see if at that point you are not completely satisfied.

Everything I have said is what 20+ years of training and experience has taught me. Glean from it what you wish or throw it all out the window. I just want everybody to make informed decisions.

SSREAPER

With all of that being said, you would be surprised at the number of people that will not spend the money for the laser alignment but complain everyday about how their Slingshot handles. I personally know two of those people, if they only knew how much difference that it does make. My steering wheel was off 10 degrees and the Sling handled like "S--t" dealer did an alignment and it was worse. True Trak Laser had just came out with the SS alignment and I drove 4 hours to have it done. I could not believe the difference it made. I had another dealer do an alignment after my little off road deal last year, I had to pay to get the laser alignment again.

• Hey bud, don't regret anything, all good info. :thumbup: I'm happy with mine and changed the shims early in 15'. I did a laser alignment when the laser became available in late 15' early 16'. I know nothing about mechanics and relay on people that do know. Where the heck were you in 2015??? ;(:D I have no tire wear and everything tracks well, but I may change it back with this knowledge. Thanks

In 2015 I didnt even know the Slingshot existed...LOL I saw it in 2016 and bought it 30 days later. Now it seems you did a mod that has had not ill effects for you. If you are not seeing any tire wear and you are happy with the way it drives....DON'T TOUCH IT!!. You got lucky on the first try. Many may not.

Now if somebody want to take a small shim from the rear of the top control arm and move it to the front and test drive it and see what happens then you are making blind changes not knowing what the true angle numbers are. You may get lucky and it works for you. You may not. Start taking things apart without knowing where you were and you will never get it back to the original spot unless you meticulously document every adjustment and move you made.

If It was not for the fact I have Tric LED in my back yard literally 2 miles from me...I would have bought the laser alignment equipment gone to the place it is built and mastered every aspect of it and then offered it to people and have a little business. I dont mind paying to have it done as long as I know it is done right and Nestor at Tric led...DOES IT RIGHT!

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• Having the steering go back to center would be nice since we are all used to that from all our other vehicles...

I would like to address this one statement and there is no disrespect intended...

I didnt buy the slingshot because it was like all our other vehicles...I bought it because it was totally different from everything else I have ever owned and that is what makes it exciting for me. I like the go cart driving feeling. If you keep trying to make the sling like your other vehicles then why not just drive the other vehicles? If they make it with everything feeling like all the other vehicles then whats the point? Trying to push the limits of performance is one thing...trying to change its nature is something else.

Again...no disrespect intended this is just my opinion and everybody is allowed to have their own!

SSREAPER

• With all of that being said, you would be surprised at the number of people that will not spend the money for the laser alignment but complain everyday about how their Slingshot handles. I personally know two of those people

You should call them out here by name so we can publically shame them into doing what we know is right damn it.... :00008356:

SSREAPER

• I know I am going to totally regret making this post but....listen guys...I am an ASE Master Certified Mechanic ...especially alignments....we perform 30 alignments a day and I dont care what vehicle type you are aligning...the principals all remain and act the same. If we had a way to repeatedly and correctly measure and adjust the caster angle I would be all for it. Unfortunately we do not. I have one of the most sophisticated laser alignment machines built and have been on the phone with the manufacturer about getting the slingshot added to the abilities of it and I have been told "it has been discussed and is in progress"....who knows when or if it will happen. What I know for a fact is that, if you start changing the shims blindly without knowing what the angles are to begin with and ending with you CAN screw things up.I took my sling which in my PROFESSIONAL opinion was a deathtrap in the drive ability dept. in regards to the steering. Mine hunted all over the place and I fought it every step of the way and it was no fun to drive...took it and had it laser aligned by someone who was trained to do so and sat 5 feet from the guy and watched. it took him about 45 min to complete and he checked the measurements multiple time for repeat ability and accuracy...double checked the math and then made the adjustments. The actual adjustments only took 10 min of that time.

SSREAPER

Great info....

Did he check the caster and camber? Was the laser target set up in front of the SS at a certain distance?

Without having the chance to drive another SS I’m not sure how good or bad it handles... local road conditions suck, so I’m not quite sure if it’s the SS or the road conditions tossing it around.

My steering rack was bad but I never knew it...but the mechanic pulling it into the garage noticed it in a few seconds. He has driven many SS so it was easy for him to know.

I wouldn’t blindly change things without having the tools to make it right.....I’m trying to figure out which tools to buy to get the best results.