Oversteer and understeer

• I suppose tires and set up among other things have an effect on whether it under steers or over steers but my experience so far has been exactly opposite to yours. Then again, I haven't had mine on a road course track either.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Tires are important, but more importantly to this conversation is if you have the traction control and/or stability control on or off. The nannies are very aggressive in not allowing oversteer. With both systems on, you will likely see understeer before oversteer.

I almost always run with the traction control off, as I believe you get the best overall performance and experience. It allows you to spin in a straight line, but the Stability Control function is still there and will cut power and work the front brakes when your spinning the rear tire and the steering angle is past a certain parameter. This allows the Slingshot to have some rear tire spin, but still the safety of working to prevent you from spinning out.

Run both systems off and the machine is even faster as nothing is interfeering, but you better make sure you are a really good driver and accept the strong possibility that you will spin out. Its pretty much a donut machine at this point with really good tires and nice roads.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Ok, I understand the procedure but where are the adjustment points?

Caster and camber adjusts where #2 & #3 bolt on? Is this where the shims add or remove? And if so where do you get the correct shims?

On the toe adjustment...is it at the end of the tie rod or under the boots?

• The shims would need to be ordered from Polaris. They come in 1, 10, or 20mm thicknesses. They are located where #2 bolts to the frame. Not sure about the tie rod adjustment points.
    Here's a link to the shim part numbers OEM Service & Replacement Parts | Polaris Slingshot Store

• Oh boy... This is going to get interesting real fast.

Yes. Shims can be removed and moved to other areas that need them. As far as sourcing shims, I have not seen info on this. Maybe some really old stuff out there on the OG site.

The end of the tie rods has the adjusting nuts you are looking for.

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• YOU DO UNDERSTAND THAT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A WAY TO CONSISTENTLY AND ACCURATELY TAKE THE MEASUREMENTS (EYEBALLING IT WONT WORK) MEASUREMENTS THAT YOU CAN REPEAT AGAIN AND AGAIN...YOU WILL SCREW THING UP DRASTICALLY!!!

Dont do whatever it is you are thinking of doing!! I am trying to save you from creating a can of worm problems you dont want to experience.

Consider yourself warned!

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• YOU DO UNDERSTAND THAT IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A WAY TO CONSISTENTLY AND ACCURATELY TAKE THE MEASUREMENTS (EYEBALLING IT WONT WORK) MEASUREMENTS THAT YOU CAN REPEAT AGAIN AND AGAIN...YOU WILL SCREW THING UP DRASTICALLY!!!
    Dont do whatever it is you are thinking of doing!! I am trying to save you from creating a can of worm problems you dont want to experience.

Consider yourself warned!

SSREAPER

So I believe the question was caster. It's well known that the Slingshot has zero caster. Hence the neutral steering that has no return to center with the steering wheel. Otter Mod #? on the early forum explained how to switch the shims to attain positive caster on the front end and, therefore, return to center with the wheel. I do believe that @BryanL was one to do this mod. He still hasn't let me drive his Sling but when I do I'll report from somewhere in Mejico!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• So, 1/8” toe per side....and just to clarify....

That would be the front of the tire is turned in 1/8” from the back of the tire. And This measurement doesn’t extend out to some predetermined point out in front of the vehicle...like I’ve seen in an online video ......it’s just on the wheel itself...back to front...

If that’s how it works.. I have an idea how to line these up fairly cheap and that includes the back wheel too....

• Ok, let’s have a discussion about the different types of toe alignment tools..

https://www.speedwaymotors.com…toe-in-on-a-vehicle/29155

https://www.speedwaymotors.com…79500-Toe-Plates,502.html

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jv2ccy9b1Po

String method

Taking it to a shop

Which have you used and recommend? There has to be a cheap way to do this. And I mean, caster, camber and you in....

Right now I’ve noticed my SS is drifting from side to side going down the road...

I just watched a video about caster and most cars are set between 4-7 ...they claim it reduces the side to side stuff making the vehicle more stable at highway speeds...so I want to try mine somewhere in that range probably leaning to the 7 number..

One more question....does anyone know if our SS has engraved degree markings to set the caster on any of the parts?

• So I believe the question was caster. It's well known that the Slingshot has zero caster. Hence the neutral steering that has no return to center with the steering wheel. Otter Mod #? on the early forum explained how to switch the shims to attain positive caster on the front end and, therefore, return to center with the wheel. I do believe that @BryanL was one to do this mod. He still hasn't let me drive his Sling but when I do I'll report from somewhere in Mejico!

our caster is factory set at 4.50. + or - .25

• You'll experience a pretty good wobble and poor steering response once you go too far. Hopefully you're just asking about this and not doing anything other than setting the toe and let it go. No disrespect meant, but it doesn't sound like you're possessing road racing skills to the point that your seat of the pants can tell ANY front end changes until you go over the top

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Having the steering go back to center would be nice since we are all used to that from all our other vehicles...

That said...I don’t want to ruin tires before their time.

If you watch anything about front end alignments...they always talk about doing caster and camber first...then toe...not just the toe. If the first two are out your toe job won’t matter much.

So since we can’t just drive into an alignment shop.... I would like to have the tools to check things myself...there also seems to be a lack of qualified mechanics to satisfactorily preform most repairs...making it fall back on us.

i’m mechanically inclined enough to do most repairs.... the though of having to driving over 100 miles to get a quality alignment doesn’t seem practical. Not to mention the cost.

So for the price of one or two alignments you can own the proper tools. With the condition of the roads lately you could know out the alignment every day.

• I have a laser alignment system for the SS. It sets toe using a target at 114 inches from hub center. The longer distance allows for a more accurate setting. Without these tools I wouldn't mess with the alignment.