Slingshade is a bust!

• Some of us who have bought them are happy with them. I bet that none of us are happy with what we paid for them! I'm glad there are plenty models and manufactures to choose from that way we can all be happy. One plus of trying one of the other tops first is that if you are not happy with it and want to try something different you won't take as big a hit financially as you would with the sling shade. Even though I haven't seen any used ones for sale I wouldn't expect the resale to be too good. jes my .o2

I also think that re selling the other tops to recoup part of the cost would be easier with the aftermarket tops than with the slingshade - unless you want to sell the roll hoops with it you are limited to buyers with a newer slingshot

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• From what I have read those weight restraints are set by Polaris and I think there trying to cut their own throats with them.........................................

War Hoop, may I recommend your doing a wee bit more research, lemme help you get started:

Copied from another thread: "start at about post 40 at Motorcycle classification weight "

kev wrote:
    Well you asked for it so here it is , make sure you study it all ! The empty weight of any motorcycle is not the limiting factor as far as regulations and certifications, its the GVWR . if you check your compliance label you will see Polaris has a published GVWR of 2199 lbs . This is because the maximum motorcycle gross weight for certifying they are in compliance with the F.M.V.S.S. (federal motor vehicle safety standards) and their appropriate motorcycle manufacturer sections is 2200 lbs or in Canada 1,000 kgs. and for the purpose of calculating GVWR manufacturers have to use a standardized person weight , this also includes aircraft manufacturers , and all manufacturers of anything under the Department Of Transportation. That magic standard number is 175 lbs per person (or seat) . they must also include an allowance for fuel and luggage.
    So when you work the equation backwards, Polaris,s certifies they don't exceed the 2200 lb maximum by carrying two passengers at the required standard of 175 = 350 lbs , 60 LBS for fuel and 40 lbs for luggage, (this can be actual luggage or options or extra belly fat exceeding 175 lbs) which leaves an empty weight (curb weight) of 1750 lbs. So there you have the reason Polaris will always be limited to 1750 lbs curb weight. For the purpose of certifying compliance they only have to use the curb weight of their standard models , and standard weight persons, and an allowance for luggage or overweight , options or persons. it would be impossible for any manufacturer to know how many options or bellyfat lbs an operator may operate at , so therefore they cover Thine ASS, with written disclaimers on all their accessories pages that it is the operators responsibility to operate in accordance with the GVWR
    Resources, this is where it gets mind boggling, keep in mind it is not just the FMVSS there are also any number of pieces of legislation or Acts as well as their appropriate, constantly evloving Regulations, I will link and list the most applicable here including f.M.V.S.S.But the definition of motorcycle in F.M.V.S.S.is currently evolving with applied for regs that aim to exclude three wheel vehicles like the Elio and others currently being imported form overseas because they have , doors, hinges, and operating side windows, and fully enclosed. meaning they claim those are too much a car to be considered an auto cycle. I will link that proposed Reg.
    I will aslso quote and link an agreement between Japen ,U.S.A. and CANADA AND OTHERS to all use the same standards as your F.M.V.S.S. I will link CANADAS AND YOU WILL SEE THEY ARE THE IDENTICAL STANDARDS. These countries all in agreement to manufacture within the same F.M.V.S.S. So are all honoured in each others countries. that's why Slingshots built in Alabama can be sold in Canada without question and Spyders BUILT IN Canada can be sold in U.S.A without question and a whole slew of Japaneese motorcycles .
    So since the U.S. currently changing definition of motorcycle and autocycle is still evolving I WILL LINK THE ALREADY spelled OUT AND LINKED, MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT, OF THE MUCH MORE ADVANCED COUNTRY KNOWN AS CANADA !! just joking ! RELAX ! It clearly defines already the motorcycle tricycle (spyders) and auto cycle , known to us as a three wheel motorcycle , as both having a clearly spelled out GVWR of 1000 kgs (2200 lbs) and keep in mind Since Canada is party to the F.M.V.S.S. agreement these GVWR limits are in accordance with the same F.M.V.S.S. the U.S. applies, Therefore all CANADIAN MANUFACTURERS AND POLARIS ARE ALREADY CERTIFYING AND MAUFACTURING TO THIS G.V.W.R. max of 2200 lbs as we already know how to read and properly publish them (just joking again but you get the point) .
    RESOURCES
    link to federal register to view any sections of F.M.V.S.S. (hard to navigate)
    Federal Register
    ::
    Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards; Motorcycle Brake Systems; Motorcycle Controls and Displays
    LINKto U.S. F.M.V.S.S.that pertain to motorcycle manufacturing
    mcpkg002.pdf
    site for regulation , applying to change U.S.MOTORCYLE DEF TO EXCLUDE ELIO TYP THREE WHEELERS
    View Rule
    Canadas, vehicle safety act defining motor tricycles, (spyders) AS HAVING 1000 KG GVWR
    Also defining our autocyles category, as three wheel vehicle,(SLINGSHOTS) AS HAVING 1000 KG GVWR
    Canadas C.M.V.S.S. this Canadian chart shows all the motorcycle standards from motorcycle manufacturing .F.M.V.S.S.. are identical to the CANADIAN MOTORCYCLE ONES and if you study the Canadian chart you will see which ones apply to motortricycles (spyders) and which ones apply to three wheel vehicles (slingshots) your autocycles.
    Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations
    Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations
    C.R.C., c. 1038
    MOTOR VEHICLE SAFETY ACT
    Regulations Respecting Safety for Motor Vehicles and Motor Vehicle Components
    Short Title
    1 These Regulations may be cited as the Motor Vehicle Safety Regulations.
    three-wheeled vehicle means a vehicle, other than a competition vehicle, an antique reproduction vehicle, a motorcycle, a restricted-use motorcycle, a trailer or a vehicle imported temporarily for special purposes, that

• (a) is designed to travel on three wheels in contact with the ground,
    • (b) has no more than four designated seating positions, and
    • (c) has a GVWR of 1 000 kg or less; (véhicule à trois roues)

[*]motor tricycle means a motorcycle, other than an antique reproduction vehicle, that

• (a) is designed to travel on three wheels in contact with the ground,
    • (b) has seating on which all occupants must sit astride,
    • (c) has no more than four designated seating positions,
    • (d) has a GVWR of 1 000 kg or less; and
    • (e) does not have a structure partially or fully enclosing the driver and passenger, other than that part of the vehicle forward of the driver’s torso and the seat backrest; (tricycle à moteur)
  • Thanks for the TON of information here Kev - Or should I say there's 907 KG's of information here? Using those figures as being correct, a GVWR of 1,000 kg is 2204 pounds, so where did Polaris come up with the 1800 pound weight limit they feed everyone for the first couple of years?

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Some of us who have bought them are happy with them. I bet that none of us are happy with what we paid for them! I'm glad there are plenty models and manufactures to choose from that way we can all be happy. One plus of trying one of the other tops first is that if you are not happy with it and want to try something different you won't take as big a hit financially as you would with the sling shade. Even though I haven't seen any used ones for sale I wouldn't expect the resale to be too good. jes my .o2

One of the Guys bought a top in Maggie and pulled it off less than a week later and sold it to a Indy Slinger.

• Thanks for the TON of information here Kev - Or should I say there's 907 KG's of information here? Using those figures as being correct, a GVWR of 1,000 kg is 2204 pounds, so where did Polaris come up with the 1800 pound weight limit they feed everyone for the first couple of years?

That is right here taken directly from Kev's post:

"So when you work the equation backwards, Polaris,s certifies they don't exceed the 2200 lb maximum by carrying two passengers at the required standard of 175 = 350 lbs , 60 LBS for fuel and 40 lbs for luggage, (this can be actual luggage or options or extra belly fat exceeding 175 lbs) which leaves an empty weight (curb weight) of 1750 lbs. So there you have the reason Polaris will always be limited to 1750 lbs curb weight."

Bill

• I think we are being too hard on Polaris about the Slingshade. It is by far the best looking roof to have. It also looks completely natural as if it's an option for the trike. I can see it's resale value being very good. Whether they lacked the skill to manufacture the Slingshade or not doesn't answer the question of a good add-on option to the car. It is a good add-on. The parts just need to be measured properly and line up with the rest of the vehicle.

• I purchased my top (Bullet Speed) before there were so many others. One of the things I liked was the fact that with the roll bar frame they used and the way they attached it was like having another layer of protection if in the horrible event it was to roll over...Slim I know but hey its happened. I also liked how if I wanted to I could remove the canvas when it was cooler outside and its like not having a top. It comes off and back on in 2 min or less with no tools.
    My sling was vandalized and they slashed the roof...I reached out to the manufacturer and out of pity they sent me a new canvas...talk about customer service!
    Not to top it all off... @mytoy is offering a solid roof that can be powder coated or if you want PAINTED (blk pearl by the way) in the color of your choosing for a great looking sling. Just look at MYTOYS sling and you will understand.

I am in no way telling anybody that their choice on tops is wrong or my choice is the best one. What I am saying is RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!! Make an informed decision.

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• I think we are being too hard on Polaris about the Slingshade. It is by far the best looking roof to have. It also looks completely natural as if it's an option for the trike. I can see it's resale value being very good. Whether they lacked the skill to manufacture the Slingshade or not doesn't answer the question of a good add-on option to the car. It is a good add-on. The parts just need to be measured properly and line up with the rest of the vehicle.

beauty is in the eye of the beholder as they say. You may think it is "by far the best looking top", but I dont think so, I really dont much like the way it looks at all, to me it looks cramped and cheep - I think the twist dynamics gull wing top is much better looking and also more functional in that it leaves room on the roll hoops to mount other things like a wing. I also like that the frame is made of metal - The slingshade may be metal on the inside, I dont know, but it looks like its nothing but plastic

• You are correct about the Slingshade being all composite. The only thing metal about it is the screws that hold the doors on. LOL I could pick out a lot of things that I don't like about it but at the end of the day for me and my wife the pro's out numbered the con's. What it is worth is like any thing else, it is worth as much as the one buying it is willing to pay. 8)

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• You are correct about the Slingshade being all composite. The only thing metal about it is the screws that hold the doors on. LOL I could pick out a lot of things that I don't like about it but at the end of the day for me and my wife the pro's out numbered the con's. What it is worth is like any thing else, it is worth as much as the one buying it is willing to pay. 8)

I agree 100% - one of the things I love is that more and more options seem to be coming available all the time. I love having choices :thumbsup:

Economics 101!
    I got 20% off my Slingshade and have had nothing but compliments on the "factory" look.

• That is right here taken directly from Kev's post:
    "So when you work the equation backwards, Polaris,s certifies they don't exceed the 2200 lb maximum by carrying two passengers at the required standard of 175 = 350 lbs , 60 LBS for fuel and 40 lbs for luggage, (this can be actual luggage or options or extra belly fat exceeding 175 lbs) which leaves an empty weight (curb weight) of 1750 lbs. So there you have the reason Polaris will always be limited to 1750 lbs curb weight."

Bill

But that's a self imposed rule that polaris wrote, if they break it they are not breaking any state or government laws. That's the way I get it.

• What you just showed us is that any corporation/government can complicate the hell out of something simple. What you copied/pasted here I call the 9/10th bullshit rule.