• Hi all, starting my planning for a western road trip in September, and checking to see if anyone found a way, or mount for the iPhone to take video while driving. Any help, thought, or somewhere to go for assistance... Not a-posed to action cameras, was just hoping to use the iPhone....

Latts :)

• Try searching Google for the terms "iphone mount" or "iphone camera mount".
    I have a phone mount similar to the Baakey ATL-1 and ATL-2 shown here - phone mount - Buy Cheap phone mount - From Banggood, but it is more suited to hold the phone for viewing while driving as a GPS or speedometer, but BangGood has many other phone mounts. You also might find something here - Tmart: Thousands of Products, Manufacturer Price, Free Shipping Worldwide. I think most of these items ship from China and will take a couple weeks for delivery.
    Personally, I am a little leery about flexible arm mounts for phones simply because of the potential replacement cost if the phone should come loose. That's why I like the phone mounts I referenced earlier. Ram Mounts have a reputation for sturdiness and dependability, so you might look into what Ram offers. Google "ram mount phone holder".

• There really is no good stabilization on any phone, so even with the best mounts, you will get lots of jitter at high speeds. Further, if you like audio... you can forget it. Cell phone mics do not operate well when air creates a fast-flowing vortex on them. So unless you’re planning to do <30mph your entire ride, I would pass on using the iPhone (or any phone for that matter).

Rides are memories... don’t let the wrong technology ruin those memories.

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you...
    Signature.png

• There really is no good stabilization on any phone, so even with the best mounts, you will get lots of jitter at high speeds. Further, if you like audio... you can forget it. Cell phone mics do not operate well when air creates a fast-flowing vortex on them. So unless you’re planning to do <30mph your entire ride, I would pass on using the iPhone (or any phone for that matter).

Rides are memories... don’t let the wrong technology ruin those memories.

Good point. Unless you have a microphone designed to handle wind noise, you may encounter problems with any of the affordable action cameras or phones.

• Once you take your movie with your iPhone you can download it into your Mac iMovie. I movie has a stabilization future that may smooth things out for you.

Perhaps someone can help me in this thread as well. I like taking video with the iPhone because it doesn’t have a fisheye 170° lens like the go Pro. I would like to find a camera that has a straightforward lens and forgo The fisheye look that distorts the video particularly in the center- any thoughts?

Also, one huge future with taking video with the iPhone is the ability to segregate clips and send them immediately. Downloading a go pro into my Mac is an arduous process that can take a huge amount of time

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎