my Slingshot died today

• Just out of curiosity...if it shorts out and burns to the ground =O ...what color are you going with next :thumbsup:

SSREAPER

I still kind of favor my pearl red - only red "car" I have ever owned, but if I did have to replace Cage Free I would probably make that decision on what they had available at my dealer

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• well today I got my slingshot - apparently the only thing wrong was the battery. They said it dropped to 8 volts and aparently that caused everything to lock up. In all my years I have never seen a bad battery have this effect, but they put in a new one and ran full diagnostics and everything is good. When it was there they also took care of the 2 recalls, grommets and seat welds, and they also fixed the break preasure switches and that dang break failure light - - breaks now work better that they ever have.

So anyway Cage Free is back home and I am happy - now I just need my JRI's to get here :)

• @edwardaneal how many months and miles did you get from the Cabbage Patch battery? I have one too...

I cant give you an exact answer. I bought my slingshot in April of 2017, but it was the dealers demo unit and already had 1,400 miles on it. I have no clue how many months it spent being used for test drives to accumulate those miles. In the 14 months I have had it I have put roughly 12,000 miles on it

• I cant give you an exact answer. I bought my slingshot in April of 2017, but it was the dealers demo unit and already had 1,400 miles on it. I have no clue how many months it spent being used for test drives to accumulate those miles. In the 14 months I have had it I have put roughly 12,000 miles on it

Thank you sir! That's a lotta starts. I guess I'll look forward to zero warning when mine goes. I guess I can swap one out of one of my quads - unless it's too big. Glad to hear you had no other issues - carry on!

Remember folks - this isn't a rehearsal, this is The Show!8)

• One thing i would like to say is that I am beyond happy with the service I got from Malcolm Smith Motorsports in Riverside. I show up with no appointment and drop my Slingshot late on Thursday afternoon and I have it back in my possession the following Thursday in that time they took care of all of the recalls. They diagnose my break failure light issue (the one we all know about) get approval for it to be covered under warranty, order the parts and get it fixed and they also replace the battery and make sure there are no other issues - and they did this with the whole place having to shut down for the 4th right in the middle

I think a one week turnaround with a federal holiday right in the center of that week is fantastic - And my service writer Cory went out of his way to be sure I knew exactly what was going on

we have all heard the service horror stories that seem all too common - So I just thought I should share what I consider to have been a very good experience

• This conclusion well help a lot of people if they get the same failure symptoms you had. I know when I have something go wrong I always think of the worst situation. And usually it turns out to be something minor. Not saying a battery is minor but it’s sure better than a ghost electrical problem or wiring harness issue. I’ll take battery any day.

As a side note years ago I bought a used car with a brand new sears diehard battery in it. The next day it was dead. Jumped it and called the dealer. Turns out the battery had a dead cell. So even new batteries are subject to instant failures.

Vehicles only need two things to operate. Gas and electric.

• This conclusion well help a lot of people if they get the same failure symptoms you had. I know when I have something go wrong I always think of the worst situation. And usually it turns out to be something minor. Not saying a battery is minor but it’s sure better than a ghost electrical problem or wiring harness issue. I’ll take battery any day.

As a side note years ago I bought a used car with a brand new sears diehard battery in it. The next day it was dead. Jumped it and called the dealer. Turns out the battery had a dead cell. So even new batteries are subject to instant failures.

Vehicles only need two things to operate. Gas and electric.

Well I have learned that if this happens again before I try to jump start it or send it off to the dealer I will completely disconnect the battery and give things a chance to reset first.

• Thank you sir! That's a lotta starts. I guess I'll look forward to zero warning when mine goes. I guess I can swap one out of one of my quads - unless it's too big. Glad to hear you had no other issues - carry on!

Brand new- my original battery on the 2016 would not hold a charge- dealer had to replace before it ever left the showroom........ OEM batteries are crap.

• Half of our SS is a Car...practically....you wouldn’t put a motorcycle battery in your cars or trucks why not upgrade your SS motorcycle battery to a “big dog” battery and eliminate one major future problem.

They are already proving to be unreliable...

• Half of our SS is a Car...practically....you wouldn’t put a motorcycle battery in your cars or trucks why not upgrade your SS motorcycle battery to a “big dog” battery and eliminate one major future problem.

They are already proving to be unreliable...

how are they "proving to be unreliable"

The battery in my Slingshot was the original battery and was installed when my slingshot was made back in July of 2015. And now it died in July of 2018 - - it lasted three years and in that time it started the slingshot thousands of times. I have had several cars that came with batteries that did not last as long - I have lived in the desert for over 30 years and around here 2 years is rather normal life for any car battery

In the posts about batteries I have seen here on this forum I havent seen anyone complaining about the stock AGM batteries being unreliable - most of the people who replace them seem to do so because they want more power to run all additional electronics they have installed

As a side note you may want to google "big dog battery"

seems they are a company that makes small AGM batteries - - Big Dog Batteries

• Edward I think he is referring to the small batteries in the 16s and 17s. The 15s actually had a decent battery but the battery in my 16.5 was like a glorified lawnmower battery and barely lasted a year. Those bean counter batteries were junk. Did the yellow top switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Info

• Edward I think he is referring to the small batteries in the 16s and 17s. The 15s actually had a decent battery but the battery in my 16.5 was like a glorified lawnmower battery and barely lasted a year. Those bean counter batteries were junk. Did the yellow top switch.

the battery I just replaced is the small type battery - and like I said it lasted 3 years. unless you add accessories that draw more power I see nothing wrong with this battery and design wise it is an Absorbed Glass Mat design which is what the Optomia batteries are . As to the yellow top I dont see any need on my stock slingshot - I dont have the extra power needs and here in the desert optomia batteries dont last any longer than any other battery - 2 to 3 years and the heat WILL kill it - and at the price of the yellow top buying a new one every 3 years - no thanks

Not only junk but technically not what is recommended for the Slingshot. I believe the manual recommends 445 cranking amps and the little POS that came in mine had 385 slingshotinfo.com/wcf/index.php?attachment/80552/cranking amps or something like that.

Sent from my iPhone using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

Dochatley
    Dallas, Texas

• I dont like the standard car battery type that came in the 2015's - too much maintenance and I hate dealing with corroded terminals and the mess that goes with that style battery. I also dont want to spend $270 for an Optima Yellow Top - I dont have any accessories that require that kind of power and as I said above they dont last any longer than a standard battery down here.

so for those of you that think the stock AGM battery sucks what would you recommend other than an Optima or old skool flooded lead battery?

• I dont like the standard car battery type that came in the 2015's - too much maintenance and I hate dealing with corroded terminals and the mess that goes with that style battery. I also dont want to spend $270 for an Optima Yellow Top - I dont have any accessories that require that kind of power and as I said above they dont last any longer than a standard battery down here.

so for those of you that think the stock AGM battery sucks what would you recommend other than an Optima or old skool flooded lead battery?

I had the original 2015 battery for over 3.5 years found exact replacement at Walmart for $49.00 can't complain. Prep it and protect it , should last 3 more years.

• I had the original 2015 battery for over 3.5 years found exact replacement at Walmart for $49.00 can't complain. Prep it and protect it , should last 3 more years.

sounds great to me - dang motorcycle battery the dealer put in was $160 but if I were to upgrade to a yellow top it would be $270.