my Slingshot died today

• was on my way to work and stopped for gas. there was a line at the pump so i shut it off to wait. when it came time to pull forward to the pump I turned the key and the needles on the gauges swung to the right and just froze and everything went dark. Tried the key several more times and nothing. the word "booting" appeared flickering for a brief moment and the gauge needles dropped a bit back to the left and then froze again with everything dead. Tried my jump starter and it did nothing. Thanks to AAA got a flat bed and towed it 80 miles to the dealer to find what the heck happened. I suspect it might be the ECU. it has done some weird things in the past like not turning on the radio for several minutes after starting.

has anyone here and anything like this happen? Its not a big deal and I needed to get my recalls done anyway, but I just curious if this is a known thing or if I just got lucky

:)

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• key was in my pocket when I snapped this - just froze and stayed like this

• Almost every thing I have ever driven has had its day like this. they are machines and sometimes they break. Got a rental car and the warranty has rental reimbursement so I will survive. Really no point in letting it upset me so I havent - - - :)

• Tow Truck, ahhhhh hate those!
    Start with the basics, my friend, battery ground.

battery was fine and the connections at the battery, ground included, seemed fine to me when I was trying the jump starter. What I did find odd was the way the gauges froze. I am no expert in how these things work, but with no power, if that was the problem, I would expect the gauges to stay on zero like they do when it is off

• only suggestion that I can think of before calling for the tow would be to disconnect the ECU for 10 minutes or so

Thanks for the suggestion, but the tow has already happened - Cage Free is at the dealer.

• I know we all throw things out there in left field. If they have problems locating the cause, have them check the J-Case connection in the back by the battery terminal. It wouldn't be the first one we have had melt with a similar outcome. We couldn't' remove the main fusees from it without breaking them, they melted and welded themselves in the case.

• It will be interesting to hear what the problem is..

Still sux when stuff like this happens out of the blue without a warning..

I will post back when I find out, and yes it does suck a bit, but thats life and I was prepared, had the tools to check and try to jump the battery, and when that wasn't enough I had my AAA with the motorcycle/RV rider that got both it and myself up to the dealer - - just one of those little bumps in life.

This morning before I left for work I got on facebook just to catch up with what was happening. First post I read was from the wife of an old friend from my high school days on his timeline - she was telling his friends he died on 25th - cancer, didnt even know he was sick and the last time I spoke to him he talked about riding his Harley out from New Mexico so we could hook up

As I was waiting on the AAA guy to arrive I was texting some of our mutual friends to give them the news

All in all when you put things in perspective having a vehicle breakdown seems very insignificant

• @edwardaneal My condolences on the loss of your friend. We are getting to the age that our friends from those times are starting to depart.

You are right that when crap happens...at that moment it may seem to suck really bad...but once the head cools down a bit and you look up and around...you think things could be worse.

I hope Cage Free gets well soon as he is your friend too.

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• I think this is an appropriate thumbs down moment but I couldn’t bring myself to touch the button! So sorry to hear of your troubles !
    I have no clue why this might’ve happened but in the Palm Springs 116° heat is it possible that something just shut down like if you leave your phone in the sun?

was on my way to work and stopped for gas. there was a line at the pump so i shut it off to wait. when it came time to pull forward to the pump I turned the key and the needles on the gauges swung to the right and just froze and everything went dark. Tried the key several more times and nothing. the word "booting" appeared flickering for a brief moment and the gauge needles dropped a bit back to the left and then froze again with everything dead. Tried my jump starter and it did nothing. Thanks to AAA got a flat bed and towed it 80 miles to the dealer to find what the heck happened. I suspect it might be the ECU. it has done some weird things in the past like not turning on the radio for several minutes after starting.

has anyone here and anything like this happen? Its not a big deal and I needed to get my recalls done anyway, but I just curious if this is a known thing or if I just got lucky

:)

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• I will post back when I find out, and yes it does suck a bit, but thats life and I was prepared, had the tools to check and try to jump the battery, and when that wasn't enough I had my AAA with the motorcycle/RV rider that got both it and myself up to the dealer - - just one of those little bumps in life.
    This morning before I left for work I got on facebook just to catch up with what was happening. First post I read was from the wife of an old friend from my high school days on his timeline - she was telling his friends he died on 25th - cancer, didnt even know he was sick and the last time I spoke to him he talked about riding his Harley out from New Mexico so we could hook up

As I was waiting on the AAA guy to arrive I was texting some of our mutual friends to give them the news

All in all when you put things in perspective having a vehicle breakdown seems very insignificant

I have two questions....why did you jump it? Was it not cranking? And what kind (name) of battery do you have?

• First post I read was from the wife of an old friend from my high school days on his timeline - she was telling his friends he died on 25th - cancer, didnt even know he was sick and the last time I spoke to him he talked about riding his Harley out from New Mexico so we could hook up

Sorry about your troubles, and the loss of your friend. Like you said perspective is everything. At first, a broken down vehicle can seem like the end of life as we know it. Then you find out about a friend that is at the end of life, or already passed. That is why I try hard to focus on the blessings in my life, not the bad stuff. We all have some of the bad stuff, but we all have good in our lives also. And I can just about promise, we all know someone that has it worse than we do. In other words, be thankful for what you have in life. Not so much things, but health, people, and relationships. Those things are golden, and if you are lucky.... will last your lifetime.

Nature's first green is gold,
    Her hardest hue to hold.
    Her early leafs a flower;
    But only so an hour.
    Then leaf subsides to leaf.
    So Eden sank to grief,
    So dawn goes down to day.
    Nothing gold can stay.

Robert Frost

Yeah, a bit profound, but I thought it fit......