my Slingshot died today

• I have two questions....why did you jump it? Was it not cranking? And what kind (name) of battery do you have?

it was totally dead, nothing except the word "booting" that flickered a few times I figured if it could flicker there was some power so it seemed reasonable to try my portable jump starter before calling AAA so that I could rule the battery out and not waste time with them trying to jump it before they would tow it

Losing “A” would kill all of this...

it would be nice if they called and said it was just a fuse, but then again I would wonder why it blew - my sling is stock with no electrical mods so I wouldn't expect to have fuses blow - I haven't had a vehicle in over 40 years unless it was because of something I did

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Lead acid or optima...

Not a traditional flooded lead acid battery like came in the 2015 slingshots or an optima. My sling still has the stock AGM type motorcycle style battery that they switched to in 2016.

• Have we considered just for a moment that with all of those heat numbers you have been posting that...you slingshot got heat stroke and committed suicide? =O

SSREAPER

there is no doubt that the heat down here can push things over the edge if they have issues. I thing that got me was the way the gauges froze and the word booting flickered as if it were trying on its last breath but just couldn't.

whatever it is I am sure they will figure it out and like I said I have recalls that it would have needed to go in for sooner or later anyway - having this happen just told me it was now and not later :)

• Sorry to hear about cage free, but like you said once you reflect and have lived for a while, not really a big deal. At least your where somewhat close to home. I guess the Polaris extended warranty is giving rental? One more question if you do not mind - Did you have to remove the front spoiler for AAA to tow it away?

thanks and good luck.

• just had to call the dealer - - of all things, I forgot to tell them to fix the stupid break light thing. Glad I remembered before I got it back :thumbsup:

• sounds like it is cursed, I devoodoo mine, had a episode a while back. It might have jumped on yours, made me think of that when you mention the radio issue

By the time I save up for mods, I have to buy another rear tire :cursing:

• Sorry to hear about cage free, but like you said once you reflect and have lived for a while, not really a big deal. At least your where somewhat close to home. I guess the Polaris extended warranty is giving rental? One more question if you do not mind - Did you have to remove the front spoiler for AAA to tow it away?

thanks and good luck.

Removing the front is always a good idea. Thats also why if you have additional LEDs upfront have the connectors close as to unplug it all.

thanks and good luck.

I do not believe the extended warranty that I purchased was the polaris extended warranty. It is a Western Services Contract group warranty, and yes it does provide both rental car reimbursement and also tow reimbursement

The flat bed tow truck that they sent has the ability to "break"/fold about 5 or 6 feet from the end touching the ground and to go almost completely flat so it cleared the front just fine, after the front was on the bed they pulled it on until the tires were almost to the fold and then he straightened the bed back to normal - I was very pleased

they also had a cable guide that attached at the fold that kept the cable flat to the bed so that it didnt hit the spoiler either - the guy told me that out of 10 tow trucks they run only 2 of them are not like this just because so many cars are very low now days

It was like this

• Just got a call from the dealer. Battery is only at 8 volts and wont take a charge. They dont know if something else killed the battery, but they cant test anything until the battery is replaced so they had to get me to authorize a new battery before they can continue.

I would love it if it turns out to just be the battery, but that then raises the question of why I couldnt get it to do anything when I attached the jump starter

Oh well - they will figure it out and they already got the recalls done :D

• Tell them to check where the wire goes from the starter to the voltage regulator. It is about a 12 gauge wire. If that is left off the voltage regulator will not function and the sling goes into a limp mode then shutdown mode once it drops below 9 volts.
    It can easily fall off the post when the connect it to the starter.

• Hey Ed and everybody else you may want to check out this good Sam roadside service. I was a AAA guy for 25 years and got fed up with paying through the nose. I have had to use good Sam twice and it is every bit as good as AAA and as a matter of fact when we called a AAA truck showed up. Crazy less expensive and they have a motorcycle RV package that I have that will tow you up to 200 miles in any Direction

Just got a call from the dealer. Battery is only at 8 volts and wont take a charge. They dont know if something else killed the battery, but they cant test anything until the battery is replaced so they had to get me to authorize a new battery before they can continue.

I would love it if it turns out to just be the battery, but that then raises the question of why I couldnt get it to do anything when I attached the jump starter

Oh well - they will figure it out and they already got the recalls done :D

We’ll get there when we get there and not a minute before. 😎

• If it’s that tiny little motorcycle battery I would make a regular car battery fit... more CCA, more guts...more water..

From my experience with motorcycle batteries...they need the water topped off very often....I think they are just too small and heat up easy...and evaporating the water..very quickly....

When the plates start to be exposed (dry) that’s when things start going wrong.

• If it’s that tiny little motorcycle battery I would make a regular car battery fit... more CCA, more guts...more water..

From my experience with motorcycle batteries...they need the water topped off very often....I think they are just too small and heat up easy...and evaporating the water..very quickly....

When the plates start to be exposed (dry) that’s when things start going wrong.

it is a sealed AGM battery - it is sealed and there is no way to add water - - - traditional flooded lead acid car type batteries dont last here in the desert with 4 months of extremely dry weather and heat in the 100s they are doomed to very short lives

• Good morning Ed! Is your dealer open on Saturday and are you back on the road yet? It would be awesome if it was only the battery issue .

Its at Malcolm Smith and yes they are open on Saturday, but the technician who is doing the work on my Slingshot is off today so I dont expect to get it back until Monday at the earliest and that assumes that whatever they find does not require them to order parts. I am not really worried, I have the rental car and I want them to have the time to be sure it is done right