WannaGo Fast 1/2 mile Challenge Coming up October 20th and 21st

• Holy Haltech lights! ha ;)
    You all better be careful if you aren't running stability control. Kites like to fly.

Hopefully someone makes the Slingshot community proud and gets over the 140mph mark. We are likely the laughing stock at these 1/2 miles events. Craziest power to weight ratio and slower than a stock $5k stock C4 Corvette.

regardless of how many ponies you have the slingshot will never be anything but a barn on wheels.............. :POKESS:

Is not that I am mean, I just don't sugarcoat what I say.

• I have seen a number of posts here talking about the "barn on wheels" aerodynamics of the Slingshot and I find these statements very interesting. I am not any kind of an authority on aerodynamics, but I have had experience driving several different vehicles into very strong head winds. The I10 pass coming down into our valley almost always has a good west to east wind coming through - this is why the pass is filled with electric generating windmills it is not uncommon to have very strong and steady winds that you drive into leaving the valley and gusts in excess of 60mph often happen. Of all of the vehicles I have driven into these winds the Slingshot seems as close to unaffected as any I have owned. In the past the two worst vehicles were a mini van I owned back in the late 90's and a Prius my wife owned a few years back - driving out of this valley into the head wind in the pass in either of these required down shifting just to make it up the grade when there was a wind and even then you could feel them struggle with each gust of wind - Heck the van could almost be brought to a stop by a strong gust and the Prius wasnt much better - - I am sure the Slingshot probably isnt the best in the world, but I have yet to notice any slowing or struggling driving up that same grade into the wind even keeping it in 5th

Personally I would really like to see some real wind tunnel tests with the sling compared with other cars to see if it really is as bas as people say

As a side note I was always under the impression that the aerodynamics of the Prius were supposed to be designed to be very good and maximize economy, but I can tell you that driving into the wind out of this valley there were times I seriously thought I might not be able to make it when we had high winds

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Aero isn't good on the Slingshot, but what is even worse is the stock Slingshot gearing for 1/2 mile events. 5th gear is way too long and 4th gear ends right around 130 - 135mph.

So, it doesn't really matter if you have a 250hp Slinghot or a 400hp Slingshot. 5th gear will keep everyone right around that 135mph mark. Good luck picking up a bunch of MPH in 5th....

This is why Rab & Mark should absolutely crush everyone if their machines are running ok because they have ditched the stock 5 speed. But we all know how this goes...

Owner of Slingshot #263 that has some stock parts left on it. :D

• Aero isn't good on the Slingshot, but what is even worse is the stock Slingshot gearing for 1/2 mile events. 5th gear is way too long and 4th gear ends right around 130 - 135mph.

So, it doesn't really matter if you have a 250hp Slinghot or a 400hp Slingshot. 5th gear will keep everyone right around that 135mph mark. Good luck picking up a bunch of MPH in 5th....

This is why Rab & Mark should absolutely crush everyone if their machines are running ok because they have ditched the stock 5 speed. But we all know how this goes...

I was just doing some searching and I came across this story Mustang GT Top speed, WannaGoFast - I found it interesting that with almost 400 HP they too seemed to hit a barrier between 130 -135mph. Not that it means anything, just found it interesting

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

Edited once, last by Edward Neal ().

• I believe if you put the sling in a wind tunnel, the results would be different than has been mentioned. The drag that is induced that creates the greatest turbulence on our machines is not from the front of the sling. It has been right in front (back) the whole time, and is regualy talked about. An aerodynamic shape must not only be clean from the front, but more importantly the airflow must be able to exit the rear and not create turbulence. We regularly post about the fumes on the rear of the sling or the debris that are getting sucked forward and dont think about the turbulance that creates. As an aerdynamic shape moves faster, the area of the low preasure from the tail moves forward creating more drag. In order to go faster the slings shape has to be changed to allow a smoother exit (breakaway) point on the rear. Our frontal area is less than a lot of vehicles that are faster than us, but the rear is far worse.
    My belief is if you ran a shape similar to @Ruptured Ducks top that was about 18 inches longer, you would see higher speeds. My bullet shaped top sucked air backwards inside, where as RDs top I have has very little backdraft. This makes sense in relationship to an aerodynimic wing in witch the 2 molecules that hit the nose of the wing split with one going under and one going over. Both molecules reach the rear of the wing at the same time. The increased speed of the molecule going over the top of the wing, which has to travel a further distance, compared to slower speed of the lower is what creates lift. When either one of the molecules paths are disturbed, the wing stalls because the turbulence that is created.
    Hope this makes sence.

• Florida 1/2 Mile Shootout - Driver Pass - wannaGOFAST

Driver and participant signup is open on the 10th of August for Ocala! The early sign up is $250 for one day, $450.00 for the whole weekend. I don't know what spectator passes run, I believe Pit passes are limited and not as cheap as spectator passes. But... I do know that if you don't get signed up quickly, you will miss out. They only allow 200 entries, and they sold out in Feburary, and I can promise you, they will sell out QUICKLY for the October event!!!!

• @StickerDick is correct about the limit to the participants. Since its so close to the end of the year Im betting the spots fill up quick. I just wish I knew if they were starting at 12:01 AM or if it was just "sometime" on the 10th.

Straight off their website. I JUST found this. I was planning on staying up until midnight to buy tickets. Now we can all get a little sleep and buy in the morning. :-)

Ticket Information DRIVER REGISTRATION WILL OPEN ON AUGUST 10TH AT 8AM EASTERN TIME!MOTORCYCLES ALLOWED!

Florida 1/2 Mile Shootout - Driver Pass - wannaGOFAST

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Yep! Just got my email on that... no luck with Polaris marketing... they said racing was not important to them and that they were more interested in promoting FUN! I watched some of the videos they are pushing on "SlingShot Life"... besides Storm's video and maybe one other, I guess to Polaris, a lady going to the Yoga parlor or the grocery store is more "Fun" that driving the Machine to it's limits in a safe environment!

• Yep! Just got my email on that... no luck with Polaris marketing... they said racing was not important to them and that they were more interested in promoting FUN! I watched some of the videos they are pushing on "SlingShot Life"... besides Storm's video and maybe one other, I guess to Polaris, a lady going to the Yoga parlor or the grocery store is more "Fun" that driving the Machine to it's limits in a safe environment!

WHAT? Did you say Polaris is going to support ME? Fun isn't my middle name - it's my FIRST name.

Fun In The Sun

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Well, it's official. ZZP is all signed up and will be at the 1/2mi for the full weekend! Looking forward to meeting all of you that are going. Also, to anyone that is interested, ZZP will be heading to the Tail of The Dragon on Monday morning from Orlando to meet up with the rest of our crew and the Ecotec Nation for 5 days of running the tail, hiking, and exploring other areas like the Devil's Triangle and The Blue Ridge Parkway. All are welcome.

ZZPerformance EST 2000 - Go Fast Not Broke

• Three's da Life signed up for the weekend and we will be staying at the Comfort Suites in Ocala right by i75. I also got 6 pit passes, but only 2 for the whole weekend. They are $30.00 per person for the one day or $50.00 for the weekend. Some of the one day ones might not be spoken for, but I'm pretty sure the six I have bought are all taken, and there will be a limit on how many racers can buy, so if anybody wants a pit pass, get in touch with me or "the Great Panda" or Kilo and maybe we can still get you one.

• We were out "practicing " in the trainer on monday..... Let'sd just say I don't think I'll be running this in Ocala... It might get to 130mph in the 1/2 mile, but it would have to be with somebody a whole lot smaller than me or John Henry! Though the track folks did say it was shooting flames outthe exhaust and it sounded like it was going 200 mph around the 1.5 mile road course, but I am not too sure about how well it would do on the straight 1/2 mile runs, though it did hit 90mph in the 1/4 mile straight at the track. I guess we could bring it to just piss off the "Stock" slingshots!?