Help! Please view pic and help me with battery charge settings for Optima yellow top

• OK this is my husband's, he's out of town, and I know nothing about it, and he knows nothing about my battery anyway.

My sling keeps having a dead battery. I hope the battery isn't shot, it's brand new. Yellow Top Optima.

Can anyone tell me what settings/timer I should put this on to get the battery charged up? The battery tender jr. didn't do a thing (yes I know that's just a trickle charge).

Thanks!!!!!!!

• found this on the web .... hope it helps

If an OPTIMA battery is deeply discharged (below 10.5 volts), most basic chargers will not supply a charge. Also keep in mind that an OPTIMA battery will not recharge properly if treated as a regular flooded or gel battery. To charge the battery, you can wire a second fully charged automotive battery (12+volts) to the discharged AGM in parallel (+ to + and – to –). Then hook up the charger to the deeply discharged battery, setting the chargerat 10 amps. Leave for two hours, monitoring frequently. During this process, if the discharged battery gets very hot or if it is venting (hissing sound from vents), then stop this process immediately. When the discharged battery reaches 10.5 volts or more, remove the standard battery and continue charging the AGM until fully charged.

For normal charging, a relatively low current, such as one or two amps, can work well, but when the battery has been deeply discharged, some sulfation of the battery plates may have occurred. If you charge at 10 amps, the higher current will help to break up this sulfation.

If you have an automatic charger, let it run until the charger indicates charging is complete. If you have a manualcharger, you can get a rough estimate of the charging time in hours of a completely discharged battery (11.2 volts) by multiplying the capacity (amphours or Ah) of the battery by 1.2. If your battery is not completely discharged, the time would be less.
    In most cases these steps will recover an AGM battery. It’s OK for the AGM battery to get slightly warm during the charging process. If it’s hot to the touch, it means there’s a short and the process should be discontinued.

• @studiopeg the directions of hooking up a fully charged regular battery in parallel to your discharged AGM is correct. You will hear a little venting/hissing and the sides of the battery will get a bit warm during those two hours. If possible use a voltmeter to see where the charge is at when you've reached two hours, after that hook it up to a regular maintainer or switch your current charger to 2amp/hr until you reach a full charge. Some of the best of luck with Optima and I was a die hard fan of theirs years ago..not so much with two red tops sitting on my porch after doing this process multiple times after their "one time warranty swap out process". Good luck.

• @studiopeg the directions of hooking up a fully charged regular battery in parallel to your discharged AGM is correct. You will hear a little venting/hissing and the sides of the battery will get a bit warm during those two hours. If possible use a voltmeter to see where the charge is at when you've reached two hours, after that hook it up to a regular maintainer or switch your current charger to 2amp/hr until you reach a full charge. Some of the best of luck with Optima and I was a die hard fan of theirs years ago..not so much with two red tops sitting on my porch after doing this process multiple times after their "one time warranty swap out process". Good luck.

I would first be curious to take a voltage reading of the battery before you attempt to charge it just to see how dead it really is.

Whether the battery is D.O.A. or not I would want to check and see how much drain there is on the battery. Either the battery in no good or there is an unacceptable drain on it when the vehicle is not running. In the latter case I would first suspect anything aftermarket that has been added but that is not to say it couldn't be something factory causing the drain.

When you learn what the issue was/is please share it with us as inquiring minds want to know.

Tim "Ghost" Ganey
    Winfield, Alabama
    205spam412spam2868

• Starting voltage and why..thanks @Ghost, in my haste and hostility towards Optima I neglected that LOL But you're absolutely right. In my case on one vehicle is was a parasitic drain from alarm/audio equipment as the vehicle sat for more than a week. Rectified it a bit by setting the alarm to autostart when the voltage dropped. The other vehicle just received two duds!

• looking at the photo of your charger, the directions might give you a good starting point. Hook the charger up and set it to 10amps, but don't turn it on. Wait 2 minutes then read the meter. Set the timer according to the 27m on the chart.

• Most people think an optima battery is just like a regular battery. They require a different knowledge and info if it drains slightly below a full charge. That’s why I don’t understand why everyone is so hung ho about having to “upgrade” to one. I’ve had them and to me they arent worth the aggravation when you get into this situation.

Most people don’t have everything on hand to preform the needed charging method described.

I understand she needs help.... and after all the instructions...she’ll still need help.

I’m trying to make people aware of just how different these batteries are and think twice before “upgrading” to something that’s out of your realm. Regular lead/acid car batteries have worked fine for 100 years.

To me the optima battery isn’t an option. Too expensive and big problem when they need charged to bring them back to life. I had one that didn’t last the 3 years it was supposed to.

• Thanks everyone.... the charger is on, 10 amps. I'm working on other things on the sling while I keep an eye on it.

I had two after-market things put on in the same week - a digital air ride and after-market radio, amps,. and subwoofer. The installer of the radio swears there is no draw when the radio is off.

So I'm not sure what is going on. It has an appointment next Thursday so I will ask them to check it out, see if they can find anything.

• Thanks everyone.... the charger is on, 10 amps. I'm working on other things on the sling while I keep an eye on it.

I had two after-market things put on in the same week - a digital air ride and after-market radio, amps,. and subwoofer. The installer of the radio swears there is no draw when the radio is off.

So I'm not sure what is going on. It has an appointment next Thursday so I will ask them to check it out, see if they can find anything.

Tough to tell but worth keeping an eye on.

Do you have a pigtail connection hanging by your swingarm? Many dealers installed battery tender plugs there for the cold months - you may need to keep it plugged in when not in use until you can figure out where the drain is coming from

Alot of stereo systems will still draw power for memory and programming even when the system is off the only way to know for sure if it is not drawing power it to take an amp reading then pull the fuse to the system and take another reading. If it changes...there is a draw.

SSREAPR

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• Alot of stereo systems will still draw power for memory and programming even when the system is off the only way to know for sure if it is not drawing power it to take an amp reading then pull the fuse to the system and take another reading. If it changes...there is a draw.
    SSREAPR

I'll do that tomorrow. I do have a battery tender jr - I had that on all day yesterday and it never turned green so I know now that the battery was really drained.

Funny, when I bought my portable jump starter I thought that was probably a waste of money. Now I'm glad I have it :)

• I'll do that tomorrow. I do have a battery tender jr - I had that on all day yesterday and it never turned green so I know now that the battery was really drained.
    Funny, when I bought my portable jump starter I thought that was probably a waste of money. Now I'm glad I have it :)

Absolutely great thing to have. It has saved my Daughter twice...she loves to sit in the car with the dome light on and forgets about it and wallah dead battery! A phone call and Im on my way to where ever she is and get it started. I bought her one just so I can stay home...LOL

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• @studiopeg, love and respect your grit, perseverance, and optimism (no pun intended... Optima, optimism)!

Though you've hit speedbumps along the way in modding your SS (which we all have), you've kept at it. Keep going and as you already know, many here knowledgeable and willing to help!

You're husband is very lucky! I hope he's a fan of the Sling!

• Here is the knowledge I have on this battery when it is dead. Use a good battery and hook it to the yellow top using a good pair of jumper cables for 2 or 3 days. That should put a charge back into yellow top so when you do go to charge it the charger will sense that it is there and will complete the charge. A trickle charger installed will sort of fix the problem of never having a dead battery but I would like to know whats draining the battery.

Sent from my iPad using Polaris Slingshot Info

• I have seen and had problems with my Optima batteries until I purchased the Optima battery charger. It will correctly deep cycle the battery, condition it, and maintain it. Well worth the money spent on it.
    During normal riding season (9 months out of the year) I plug it in about every 2 to 3 weeks over night to let in optimize the battery.

Optima Digital 400 12V Performance Maintainer and Battery Charger B00DHGPVKI?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

@av8ingtom had his stereo installed in Maggie Valley, and had the same thing happen to his Slingshot. He had a good amount of time chasing down the problem. If I'm not mistaken, it was a pinched wire on the stereo install and was draining off the battery. Maybe he'll chime in since I've tagged him here.

• I have seen and had problems with my Optima batteries until I purchased the Optima battery charger. It will correctly deep cycle the battery, condition it, and maintain it. Well worth the money spent on it.
    During normal riding season (9 months out of the year) I plug it in about every 2 to 3 weeks over night to let in optimize the battery.

Optima Digital 400 12V Performance Maintainer and Battery Charger B00DHGPVKI?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

i couldn't tell from the pics - can you use that through the pigtail that dealers installed?

• Here is what I use for my optima batteries, its cheaper than an optima charger but works as good. Like @Slingrazor said theses work. They are pulse chargers and this one has a repair mode. Just put the pig tail on the battery and plug it in when your done riding and it will be ready for next ride.

ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1530030874&sr=1-4&keywords=genius charger