Help! Please view pic and help me with battery charge settings for Optima yellow top

• I would expect that the radio guys will fix the battery drain issue free of charge AND have it done while I wait no longer than 1 hour AND purchase a new yellow top for her ...... at least that is my bottom line - if they wish to enhance the minimum that would only work well for them because I would share my experience and their name with every Slingshot, motorcycle, car, bicycle owner within 200 miles - making it right would have me singing praises but not making it right brings the verbal matches and gasoline to the party

• Thank you @Zorasmiles for that. As long as they fix her problem without her having to spend another penny then the matches will stay in their box. Try to have her spend even more money to fix a problem they created will not fly one inch.

She has proven time and time again here how resourceful and capable she is and I have no doubt that she will have them jumping thru hoops of fire to fix the problem.

What's truly a shame is that you spend good money to have so called "professionals" do their specialized work...and screw up something this basic. This is wiring 101 stuff. I just don't get it.

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• Absolutely! I know these shops are busy when they are tagged as "the go to specialty shops" but that's all the more reason to get it right. When she first called, if it had been my shop, I would have asked when was she available to bring it by for a quick look. I'd rather take the time to have the installer check out his work than to have her trying to run down the battery drain culprit. You can get it right 100 times but that 5 times you don't will decide how you handle your customer service. Besides I'd only want the matches to show up when I couldn't keep the lights on and the customer would be doing me a favor LOL

• I would expect that the radio guys will fix the battery drain issue free of charge AND have it done while I wait no longer than 1 hour AND purchase a new yellow top for her ...... at least that is my bottom line - if they wish to enhance the minimum that would only work well for them because I would share my experience and their name with every Slingshot, motorcycle, car, bicycle owner within 200 miles - making it right would have me singing praises but not making it right brings the verbal matches and gasoline to the party

I agree to a point. Mistakes can happen to anyone. I've been doing what I do for over 20 years and I still screw up things from time to time. I have always believe in the don't judge someone by the mistake but how they handle fixing it. Yes you are rit...this is an opportunity for the shop to show how much they value customer service. Handled right and this could be great for them. Handled wrong and well....you can call it verbal if you wish :whistling::evil:

When I said to a point is when it is a flat out rookie mistake that nobody catches and let's the customer leave.

I'm hoping the shop is a model of customer service like some of our vendors here and we will all be congratulating her.

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• @SSREAPER, my father in law was a carpenter, and a very good one at that. He told me early on, all carpenters make mistakes. But the really good ones can fix it correctly and quickly at less cost (none to the customer) and move on to the next job. I think that fits for most things in life. Hopefully, the installer will also be adopting this type of motto.

• Installer has informed me that the radio did not come with the option for an off-with-ignition. It is a NavAtlas DXU1100DVR.

I'm calling the manufacturer tech line in a minute.

Sigh. It could only happen to me.

• ARE THEY NUTS?!? YOU HOOK THE POWER WIRE TO A SOURCE THAT IS ONLY POWERED ON WITH IGNITION....IT DOESNT GET ANY SIMPLER!!!

I have the navatlas instructions....they suck but I can send them to you if you wish.

Peg...that is the radio I was planning on getting and I am stupid happy you have it so you can tell me about it and how you like it!

SSREAPER

• @SSREAPER, my father in law was a carpenter, and a very good one at that. He told me early on, all carpenters make mistakes. But the really good ones can fix it correctly and quickly at less cost (none to the customer) and move on to the next job. I think that fits for most things in life. Hopefully, the installer will also be adopting this type of motto.

Thats because your father was a true craftsman that took pride in his work and his reputation was everything to him. He sounded like a great man!
    Somehow those qualities have gone the way of the dinosaur unfortunately.

SSREAPER

• I have the instructions also, its nothing but a quick start guide. I've talked to them before about that and they don't offer anything else.

I got an answering machine. I left a message. maybe they aren't out of bed yet..........

• I just called another electronic installer, and I asked them if they have ever heard of any type of radio that cannot be wired to turn off with ignition. He said he doesn't know.

Is it all really supposed to be this difficult??

• Manufacturer says this:

"There is a remote turn on wire in that unit's harness that would attach to an accessory wire to turn on and off when the car does - it would operate like any other aftermarket radio and draw a tiny bit of current for memory settings but not actually be powered up."

Perhaps because I didn't have my FZ-1 accessory fuse block installed at the time, there was no way to hook the radio up correctly? You tell me....

• Manufacturer says this:

"There is a remote turn on wire in that unit's harness that would attach to an accessory wire to turn on and off when the car does - it would operate like any other aftermarket radio and draw a tiny bit of current for memory settings but not actually be powered up."

Perhaps because I didn't have my FZ-1 accessory fuse block installed at the time, there was no way to hook the radio up correctly? You tell me....

Someone in the audio video business should know how to correctly install a radio. If you needed something else or another harness to complete install you should have been notified. They should step up and fix your problem ASAP. Maybe there is a forum member close by that can you help out. It should be a simple fix. I bet they tied the trigger wire and supply wire together or never checked to see if trigger wire was switched. Good luck hope you get it fixed soon.

• It seems this is the problem and the manufacturer knew about it:

The manual that came with the radio leaves out crucial information.
    The revised manual on their website adds the crucial information.

Screen shot of the manual I was given and thus gave the installers:

Screen shot of the manufacturer's updated manual:

• The audio harness connector in the sling has Power, Accessory, and Ground directly behind the radio head unit. Red, Yellow, and Black.
    Real simple.

EXACTLY @Slingrazor I dont know how they could have gotten that one wrong?!? But lets just ponder for a moment...even if they pot the hot wire to a constant hot wire...meaning you could power the radio on without having to use the key....when you turn off the radio it will turn off. I dont think the radio is the problem...I think the amps are not turning off. What tells the amps to turn on and off? The signal wire. If they wired this one to constant power the amps would never turn off and there would be a huge drain. The other possibility is that they wired the amps direct to power and are not using the signal at all and they are just ON.

SSREAPER

• Wish we had someone close.
    Pulling the control head and identifying the issue would only take about 5 minutes. The fact it didn't drain with fuse pulled tells me the amps are not in question unless the connected them to the stereo wire harness. This would be a bad thing since that power wire is a 12 gauge and could not handle the load. Most amp installs require power directly from the battery with a remote turn on.
    If they connected the stereo power and ACC turn on together, that would turn on the Amp and drain the battery.
    Since they made a statement to her that it had to be connected to a hot wire....most likely there is your problem. The system is turning on the amp.

• Believe me when I say...A TRUE RADIO EXPERIENCED TECH would NOT need to have the wires individually labeled in red lettering to know where the wires go to. I didn't see the website directions before now but I did know where they should go to and trust me I am not an expert...I havent wired a radio in 15 years...lol but did alot when I was a younger version of myself....ahhh those were the days!!

SSREAPER

• Well the installer says it will take about an hour to re-wire and he isn't going to charge me. I'm not going to ream him out.

It's obvious from the manufacturer adding in the red letter explanation of the wiring on their website that others have had trouble with the wiring also. That's probably why they are not calling me back.

I want to THANK YOU ALL for all your input and help with this. Such a minor thing turned into a major thing. My battery could have been ruined. In any case, I'll keep the fuse out until it gets fixed next week.

In the meantime, I will enjoy leading 15-18 slings on a ride to the beach this Sunday :)