QA1 questions

• I bought the QA1s with the single adjustment knob. I want a softer ride when hitting these crappy road bumps and potholes. I read that by setting the knob for a soft ride makes it smoother....but do you adjust the front shocks the same as the rear? Would it make any sense or help any by having them adjusted differently.....I’m thinking the rear wheel might bounce more than the fronts because of less weight in the rear....and require a different setting to make the front and the back equally smooth...

So what are your thoughts or recommendations...

• That was very helpful...

It was if taken as a warning... Not helpful if taken as a joke... Jokes are never helpful...

But if now that I posted that, you'll actually take the advice and not ask more questions, or second guess, or argue, as you've demonstrated previously... Then another reason why it was helpful... wink-squared

Just saying! clown-squared

• Ride comfort is going to be mostly based on the individual. Some guys (and ladies) like equal tightness/stiffness in both the front and the rear, while some prefer one or the other a little softer/looser.

Just make some changes and see what feels better.... But there are some rides that no amount of squishy shock is going to fix... Just sayin.

• Asking someone how to adjust the shocks is as difficult as asking people which women to date. It's all a personal choice. One wants to think he's riding a
    Barcalounger, and the next guy wants to think he's in Indy racer. I'd say to adjust all three in the middle and adjust the fronts 2 clicks in either direction until it gets too much one way vs the other, then split the difference. Do the same with the rear and you'll have it set the way YOU want it on the roads you ride. Then make any fine tuning adjustments as your riding routine changed ie; Highway driving, tail of the dragon runs, etc

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• I have mine set at four clicks for all three shocks. Bill Hahn suggested setting the rear 2 clicks higher. That didn't work for me. It was rigid enough that it was nearly like having a bar back there, no give at all. Every time I would get on the gas, the weight wouldn't shift and the tire was spin prone. I know one friend that is running 4 in the front, with 2 in the back. His Slingshot is supercharged, he needs the weight to transfer for added traction. I like the ride at 4 all the way around, reminds me of a Camaro SS type of feel. Again, like others have stated, it's up to each person and what ride they are going for.

Ride comfort is going to be mostly based on the individual. Some guys (and ladies) like equal tightness/stiffness in both the front and the rear, while some prefer one or the other a little softer/looser.

Just make some changes and see what feels better.... But there are some rides that no amount of squishy shock is going to fix... Just sayin.

Heather, I get what you are saying.... but as I read that it very well could have been posted in the NSFW section! :00008084:

• This right here is one of the reasons why I decided to go with the JRI Grand Touring

I know me and if I had gone with a 2 or 3 way adjustable I would have been totally OCD about how to adjust them. Would have been constantly changing them and then second guessing myself and questioning what I had changed

then I would have been posting here with silly questions asking you all if what I had done was best for me which of course you wouldn't know because we are all different

Yep - JRI single adjustable - set it and forget - much better choice - at least the only thing I can second guess is should I have gone with the sport

oh well at least I wont be going back and forth to the garage all the time clicking things up and down trying to over think the ride

in this case for me KISS was absolutely the way to go

so anyway - do you think I should have ordered the sports?

JK :00005129:

Cage Free - 2016 Pearl Red SL

DDM Short Shifter, Sway Bar Mounts Coolant tank Master Cylinder Brace & CAI

Twist Dynamics Sway Bar, JRI GT Coilovers, Assault Hood Vent

OEM Double Bubble windshields & various other goodies

• Part of the problem is the SS is half car and half motorcycle. So the shock settings could very well be different front to back. Most of the weight is up front. And as someone pointed out they need to have the rear wheel adjusted different to keep the rubber on the road better. Makes me wonder how the factory shocks are set/calibrated from front to back.

• actually I saw a post here where one of our friends had weighed their slingshot at each wheel and the weight put on each wheel was very close to the same - - I dont remember who posted it, but will try to find it.

remember the front may weigh more but that weight is shared by two wheels where as the rear has all of the weight on one wheel

here I found the thread - slingshot weight

as you can see the rear shock would have a bit more weight on it

• Out and about with our SL we passed a truck scale, so just for grins and giggles we went back and weighed the Grasshopper:
    Front: ..............................1150 pounds, (575 pounds each side)
    Back: ................................600 pounds
    Total with a full fuel tank: .......1750 pounds

As you can see each tire, (shock), is carrying approximately the same amount of weight empty, but the seats/baggage/accessories are closer to the rear distributing the majority of that weight in that direction.

Bill

• Wow, thanks...I would have thought the front would be slightly heavier...but it kinda makes sense that they weight would be about even..front to back.

I haven’t even checked mine yet to see how they were set from Hahn...busy doing yard work.. but I will probably turn them down to soften the ride... these crappy roads are killing me.

• I haven’t even checked mine yet to see how they were set from Hahn...busy doing yard work.. but I will probably turn them down to soften the ride... these crappy roads are killing me.

I would start at one or 2 clicks from the softest setting and move up slowly until you dont like it then back of one or two clicks. Just dont make a bunch of changes all at once....set it and ride for a couple of days write down in a log your thoughts then make a change and write down what you did and after a couple of days rewrite your thoughts...is is better or worse then move from there!

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• Part of the problem is the SS is half car and half motorcycle. So the shock settings could very well be different front to back. Most of the weight is up front. And as someone pointed out they need to have the rear wheel adjusted different to keep the rubber on the road better. Makes me wonder how the factory shocks are set/calibrated from front to back.

I would argue that your definition of problem is inaccurate - what you see as problems many, many, many owners have embraced as opportunities - make your Slingshot glass half-full or trade it in if it makes you too unhappy to enjoy the number one reason that most buy it (uniqueness)

I think you should re-read your sources - the references to the rear wheel is about putting MORE rubber to the road in boosted applications to get the hole shot - at least that is what I recall

• another thing to consider is the fact that not all three shocks are identical - the rear shock is larger than the two used in the front and it is very possible that they were designed and valved so that all three should be set at the same setting if you wanted the firmness to be equal all the way around