Sena SPH10 or Expand

• Posted this on another forum but didn't find anybody who had compared both.

I am going to buy a set of headsets to use for intercom and music. Want to share the music between the two. I am looking for something to use without helmets.

I've read a lot of posts here about the SPH10 and a couple regarding the Expand but even searching on Google, I haven't found a comparison between the two models. They are close to the same in price. Can anybody here offer a comparison between the two models?

Want to get them ordered but don't want to order them and then find a reason why I should have gone with the others.

It appears that the Expand has a further range but that is not really important to me. Either should work for talking to the passenger right next to me. Most important to me is being able to talk to the passenger and music quality.

• We have the SPH10's and love them. We only use ours for conversing, and have our phones paired to them. I can't speak for sharing music between them, sorry. Others with more experience may be able to chime in on that. We never used the Expand set so can't help there either.

Come to think of it........I wasn't much help at all.......Jeesh!!! X/

At least your post didn't fall on deaf ears, eh? :whistling::D

Those who will give up essential liberty to secure a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

2016 Slingshot SL Vin# 8855 (born in September 2015) w/ Alpha Stage 2 Turbo @ 7.5psi

• Today I ordered the SPH10 units. I called Sena and spoke with a young lady who really didn't seem to know what she was talking about. She first claimed that the Expand was better because of the short mic. Claimed that it would pick up less wind noise. That is exactly the opposite of the reviews that I have read where they all say that the longer boom mic works best in windy situations. I also downloaded both user manuals from the Sena website and read what they had to say.

First of all, the SPH10 actually comes with two mics. The longer boom mic and also a short "stubby" mic. So even if she was correct, you could just switch to the shorter mic.

Anyway, right or wrong, here are my main reasons for going with the SPH10 units.

1. It actually comes with two mics that are interchangeable. One is the longer "boom" mic. The other is a short "stub" mic. The reviews that I read stated that the longer mic actually works better when there is a lot of noise as you can get it close to your mouth and it doesn't pick up as much ambient noise.

2. I like the fact that it has the aux input port. Don't know that we'll use it because we mostly stream Pandora or Apple Music but we do have an Ipod with a LOT of our old music on it that we enjoy listening to from time to time. The Expand does not have the aux port.

3. The biggest reason. The SPH10 allows you to toggle between push to talk on the intercom and "VOX" control. Push to talk may work better if there is a lot of wind at freeway speeds but the "VOX" would be great for those slower rides in the country. The Expand is push to talk only.

They should arrive on Friday and I'm anxious to try them out.

• I'm a little late to the party, and since you have already purchased your headsets, this is probably fairly moot. However, to chime in, when I did my research on the SPH 10 versus the Expand, from what I read, the Expand had less vlarity with the wind noise, and also seemed to be less comfortable for some riders.

However, I also called Cena to talk to one of their customer service reps, and the young man I spoke to also knew very little about what I was asking. I'm not sure what's up with the company or their hiring process, but I wasn't very impressed. So, basically, I just did what I wanted.

I bought the sph10 for us in the Sling, and we love them. When I am driving and using the headset as a phone, unless I am at a high rate of speed, it is pretty clear. One thing I have noticed, is that where I sit and with the Ripper windshield, that cut-down corner of the windshield adds more turbulence right into my microphone. I noticed this when we are on the road and using the microphone for the intercom, my @sideseatdriver doesn't transmit any static, but she says she can hear the static from the wind noise in my mic.

We do not use the headsets for music, so I cannot speak to that. Overall, I think you will be very happy with the headsets that you bought.

• I've been riding motorcycles for a long time and for the past 25 or so years, they have been touring bikes. I've used wired headsets of various brands and all have had some wind noise from time to time. One thing that you could try, and it has worked for us, is to remove the foam windsock on the mic, stretch a small balloon over the mic, put the windsock back on and over the balloon. It's an old trick that works very well in most cases.

• Having both the Expand and TuffTalk, I prefer the TuffTalk. The Expand intercom worked good around town but not at freeway speeds. Too much road noise for the intercom or music. I hate road noise and actually wear ear plugs under the TuffTalks. I can clearly hear the words to songs and make/take a phone call at freeway speeds. It also has a FM tuner and gets better reception than the factory radio. If you have 2 pair, one could listen to the Slingshot audio system and the other to another Bluetooth audio device or FM radio. Just my 2 cents.

I use mine with a portable SiriusXM radio that is hooked up to the FM receiver on the factory radio. The TuffTalk is then Bluetooth connected to the factory radio. Works perfect! I can also listen to Pandora, iPod or memory stick music the same way.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Polaris Slingshot Forum mobile app

• Just to add my two bits worth here.

I bought a Sena 20 and a Freewire to couple my Goldwing audio to the headset. The headset worked great and still does. The Freewire cable was bad on arrival.

I requested a new cable from Sena. It took them FIVE MONTHS to get me a replacement. By then, I had sold the Wing.

Customer service from Sena is the absolute worst I have encountered in my 70 years on this planet. Just my experience.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John
    '15 Nuc 'em 'til they glow orange
    '15 Ram 2500
    '16 Denali 289 RK
    '17 Mazda 3 HB

:ORANGESS:

SOG supporter

• remove the foam windsock on the mic, stretch a small balloon over the mic, put the windsock back on and over the balloon.

I assume that cuts wind noise, but how does it affect clarity of speech? Very interesting.

Customer service from Sena is the absolute worst I have encountered in my 70 years on this planet.

I'd heard that about them. Was sure hoping it was bad gouge. Guess not. Hope I never have to find out.

• The ballon stretched over the mic appeared to have very little affect on the clarity. Now I have never used them on the Sena mics as this will be my first set. My experience is with wired headsets used on motorcycles. It worked very well. I will try it when my Senas get here. All you have to lose is the cost of a couple of small balloons. :) I suppose the sensitivity of the mics would affect how well they work. One headset company, not sure but I think it may have been Airrider, actually sold something similar for their mics. There's was a neutral color and looked somewhat like a very small condom. The balloons did the same thing though. The ones they sold may have been thinner, I'm not sure.