Engine code 65551

• Came on as I was going home. Have read all the other threads on this know it is the knock sensor. Only question I have will it hurt to drive it dealer is 80 miles away.

I would highly recommend that you give your dealer a call and talk to the service manager and ask them how you should handle it and see if they say it is ok to drive it to the dealership. Most likely you will not have any issue driving it to the dealership with the Knock sensor causing the code, but if something would happen, if the service manager said it was ok for you to that, you should be covered.

• Or just goto the parts store and buy a new knock sensor...Im sure it cant be much.

ACDELCO 12636736 {#12605738, 2134404} GM Original Equipment Info
    Category: Knock / Detonation Sensor $12.00

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• Or just goto the parts store and buy a new knock sensor...Im sure it cant be much.

ACDELCO 12636736 {#12605738, 2134404} GM Original Equipment Info
    Category: Knock / Detonation Sensor $12.00

SSREAPER

Not quite so easy to do. While it is a GM sensor, it's NOT a GM harness. So the Polaris harness will NOT plug into the GM sensor. You'd have to splice the wires together with your own connector, or order the GM harness and splice that end to the Polaris harness.

Nobody gets outta here ALIVE

• Not quite so easy to do. While it is a GM sensor, it's NOT a GM harness. So the Polaris harness will NOT plug into the GM sensor. You'd have to splice the wires together with your own connector, or order the GM harness and splice that end to the Polaris harness.

I am not saying that your wrong but the 12636736 number came off of the polaris part. I crossed that to get the gm part. I think its the same part. I could be wrong?!?
    For 12 dollars couldnt hurt to try? Take the old sensor with you to the store.

SSREAPER

:BLACKSS: 2016 SL LE BLACK PEARL :HEADERSS::COLDAIRSS::COILOVERSS::MOTOROILSS::OILFILTERSS:

• Unless they've changed on the newer years. But I know for sure that the 2015 sensor from GM looks to be the same sensor but has a different connector. I had to deal with that issue a couple years ago before a group ride to Key West. No way was I going to risk riding a turbo s/s without a knock sensor

• Unless they've changed on the newer years. But I know for sure that the 2015 sensor from GM looks to be the same sensor but has a different connector. I had to deal with that issue a couple years ago before a group ride to Key West. No way was I going to risk riding a turbo s/s without a knock sensor

I bow down to your knowledge sir as I am sure it is vastly superior to mine in this! speechless-squared

SSreaper

• Took out old sensor went to gm dealer with part number12636736 looked the same as old one. Put on new sensor wiring hooked right up slid right on. Only thing check engine light is still on don’t know what to do now. Still shows 65551 for fault. This is on a 2015 don’t know if makes a different. Any help appreciated thanks.

• Can you disconnect the battery for 10 min...the reconnect and take for a very long test drive to allow the computer to relearn everything and hopefully once it goes thru all of its pid's (parameter ID's) and everything checks out ok it will turn off the light.

SSreaper

• I would highly recommend that you give your dealer a call and talk to the service manager and ask them how you should handle it and see if they say it is ok to drive it to the dealership. Most likely you will not have any issue driving it to the dealership with the Knock sensor causing the code, but if something would happen, if the service manager said it was ok for you to that, you should be covered.

My SS engine light came on yesterday with error code 65551 with the #5 under it. It depicts Knock Sensor (Sensor Open). I called my dealer , which is 40 miles away, and the service manager talked with the SS tech and he said it was OK to drive. They are thinking it is something wrong with the sensor. Anyway, just to be safe, I am having it towed since I have tow insurance.

• I had the same thing happen to me Saturday (again). With the #5 failure code, there's a real good chance that it's not the sensor but the harness not making a solid connection to the sensor. The biggest issue is the wire(s) backing out of the connector a small amount. It still looks connected, but the pin(s) have lost contact to the pin on the sensor. But there always is the chance for a part failure with the sensor. Good luck and let us know what they found out

• I drove my '16 for month or two waiting for sensor.....dealer said it was fine. I did run premium all that time but usually put in 89 only. Doing same for current 18....milage for last 4K miles is 30.5.

18 SLR Lemon/Gray
    Vanderhall Venice (traded for SLR Apr '18)
    '16.6 SLR LE (traded for Vanderhall Oct '17)
    '11 & '14 Can Am RT's
    60 Years of 2 Wheeling

• Knock sensor usually indicates crappy gas...not enough octane..

Yes, but when you have the knock sensor code with the open circuit, that means there is no reading coming from the sensor to the ecu. Either a failed sensor, bad connection to the sensor or a broken 5v power feed wire from the ecu to the sensor. Nothing else matters if it has bad gas, too high coolant (and combustion chamber temps) or bad timing. Open circuit is open circuit

• My SS engine light came on yesterday with error code 65551 with the #5 under it. It depicts Knock Sensor (Sensor Open). I called my dealer , which is 40 miles away, and the service manager talked with the SS tech and he said it was OK to drive. They are thinking it is something wrong with the sensor. Anyway, just to be safe, I am having it towed since I have tow insurance.

First of all, I did not have to tow my SS in. Since the dealership said it was OK to drive 40 miles, I decided to do that. I had no issues. Anyway, the repair was made as it required a new Knock Sensor.

• Got the Polaris Knock Sensor changed out today by my dealership due to sensor code 65551-5 causing engine light to stay on. I was expecting an exorbitant cost but pleasantly surprised. Cost was:

Ignition Part Sensor: $25.99
    Labor: $42.50
    Total: $68.49

Of course this included clearing the code.

What happened to the warranty?